landrider

Old May 7th 04, 02:52 PM

Default landrider

Does anyone out there have any info on "landrider" bikes..pro or cons

Old May 7th 04, 04:05 PM
John Everett

On Fri, 7 May 2004 09:52:44 -0400, wrote:

Does anyone out there have any info on "landrider" bikes..pro or cons

Any info you're likely to find here will be all con.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old May 7th 04, 04:28 PM
Mark Tranchant

John Everett wrote:

Does anyone out there have any info on "landrider" bikes..pro or cons

Any info you're likely to find here will be all con.

I can't work out whether that's a condemnation of landrider, or a general
comment on the pessimism of this group...

--
m.
Old May 7th 04, 04:41 PM
Rich Clark

"Mark Tranchant" wrote in message
John Everett wrote:

Does anyone out there have any info on "landrider" bikes..pro or cons

Any info you're likely to find here will be all con.

I can't work out whether that's a condemnation of landrider, or a general
comment on the pessimism of this group...

It's a condemnation of Landrider, which is an overpriced, low-quality,
ill-conceived solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Any decent bike shop can sell you a better bike for less money.

RichC

Old May 7th 04, 05:04 PM
BanditManDan

clutccargo69 wrote:
Does anyone out there have any info on "landrider" bikes..pro or cons

If you go to thier
http://www.healthandbeautydirect.com...aq.htmlwebsite and read
the FAQ it will only take a few seconds to realize how stupid their
arguments are.

For example;
* They claim that shifting gears is confusing on regular bikes.

* They claim the Land Rider is faster than a 21 speed bike because you
arn't wasting time shifting.

* They claim to be safer since your not focused on shifting and can
focus better on the road.

Come on, those are way exagerated or all out false claims. Shifting
isn't really a big issue, and this is more of a gimick than anything
else. Stick with a regular bike, they are much more reliable and
better quality.

Dan.

Old May 7th 04, 05:47 PM
Marlene Blanshay

John Everett wrote:

Does anyone out there have any info on "landrider" bikes..pro or cons

Any info you're likely to find here will be all con.

I can't work out whether that's a condemnation of landrider, or a

general
comment on the pessimism of this group...

It's a condemnation of Landrider, which is an overpriced, low-quality,
ill-conceived solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Any decent bike shop can sell you a better bike for less money.

RichC

Absolutely. I can't believe how much they charge for those things, based on
the gimmick that it makes things 'easier.' Yeah, easier for the shmucks
getting rich on ripping off the gullible!

For that money,get a mountain bike! I can't remember if it was here,or
somewhere else, but someone posted about finding one IN THE TRASH! And was
barely able to scavenge any decent components. Maybe some nuts or bolts.

Old May 8th 04, 02:20 AM
Claire Petersky

John Everett wrote:

Does anyone out there have any info on "landrider" bikes..pro or cons

Any info you're likely to find here will be all con.

I can't work out whether that's a condemnation of landrider,

Condemnation of the Landrider.

or a general
comment on the pessimism of this group...

We love cycling, and love to share our enthusiasm with others. That's why
we're down on this Piece O' S---.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old May 8th 04, 02:09 PM
AustinMN

BanditManDan

* They claim to be safer since your not focused on shifting and can
focus better on the road.

* keyboard *

The last time I spent more than ten seconds thinking about shifting, it was
my first ten-speed, oh, about 1974.

Austin

Old May 8th 04, 11:21 PM
Peter Cole

"Marlene Blanshay" wrote

For that money,get a mountain bike! I can't remember if it was here,or
somewhere else, but someone posted about finding one IN THE TRASH! And was
barely able to scavenge any decent components. Maybe some nuts or bolts.

I think that was me. I salvaged pretty much only the frame from a trash-day
example of its predecessor, the "AutoBike". Of course, it had hardly been
ridden, no wear on rim walls, tires or (clean) sprockets. Same idea, automatic
shifting. People get conned into buying these after watching an infomercial,
somehow being convinced that shifting was the thing that made bicycling so
difficult in the dim past. If someone can't deal with today's indexed shifting
then perhaps they should consider another pastime. These bikes are made to be
garage ornaments.

I replaced: the cranks, wheels, BB, pedals, tires, stem, bars, brakes, brake
levers, shifters, chain, cables, grips, saddle, seatpost. I added fenders,
rear rack, front bar-bag, and grocery pannier. It's now a pretty nice bike.
Damn frame/fork is awfully heavy, and the headset is junk, though. Perhaps
after I swap those out it'll be perfect.