Sprung Saddles

Old February 5th 04, 10:02 PM
Y Cymro

Default Sprung Saddles

As I get older comfort becomes more of a factor. I have already resorted to
a suspension seatpost on my off-road bike, but am considering something
similar for my hack bike.

A Use seatpost is quite pricey. A cheaper option sems to be a Brooks sprung
saddle - a 'Conquest' or a 'Flyer'.

Does anyone have any experience of these?

Old February 5th 04, 10:35 PM
Simon Brooke

"Y Cymro" writes:

As I get older comfort becomes more of a factor. I have already resorted to
a suspension seatpost on my off-road bike, but am considering something
similar for my hack bike.

A Use seatpost is quite pricey. A cheaper option sems to be a Brooks sprung
saddle - a 'Conquest' or a 'Flyer'.

Does anyone have any experience of these?

Long, long time ago... The better part of forty years ago, I had a
huge old ex-army roadster with such a saddle. I remember it as
comfortable, and I was using it on a wide mix of terrain; but it is a
long time ago.

,/| _.--''^``-...___.._.,;
/, \'. _-' ,--,,,--'''
{ \ `_-'' ' /
`;;' ; ; ;
._..--'' ._,,, _..' .;.'
(,_....----''' (,..--''
Old February 6th 04, 01:32 AM
Pete Biggs

Y Cymro wrote:
As I get older comfort becomes more of a factor. I have already
resorted to a suspension seatpost on my off-road bike, but am
considering something similar for my hack bike.

A Use seatpost is quite pricey. A cheaper option sems to be a Brooks
sprung saddle - a 'Conquest' or a 'Flyer'.

Does anyone have any experience of these?

There are some cheaper suspension seatposts from the likes of Post Moderne
and Kalloy. I've got a Post Moderne Bracer Road post on my tourer (not
one of the cheaper models): the effect is useful but very minimal.

I have tried a sprung Brooks B66 Champion* previously on the same bike:
much softer and bouncier suspension than the above - too much for me,
really, although it was the top that finally put me off rather than the
springs.
I also briefly tried a Conquest. Springs don't do as much on this
model and the leather was rock hard on this second-hand one I used. Dear
oh dear: Brooks is a strange religion :-)

* narrower than standard B66, same shape as B17, can be used with micro
adjust seatpost by using an adaptor (from St John Street Cycles).

~PB

Old February 6th 04, 11:11 AM
Peter Clinch

Y Cymro wrote:

A Use seatpost is quite pricey. A cheaper option sems to be a Brooks sprung
saddle - a 'Conquest' or a 'Flyer'.

Does anyone have any experience of these?

Yes, I had one (B66) on my tourer for ages, now it graces my 8 Freight.
And it's very comfortable, as saddles go, but doesn't make *that* much
difference over the unsprung B17 IME.

The reason is it no longer graces my tourer is my tourer is now a
recumbent with a large, comfy padded chair and full suspension designed
for the road. If you really want to be comfortable then recumbents are
just streets ahead of the game. Not cheap, of course, but do you want
to rearrange the Titanic's deckchairs, or melt the iceberg?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Split Saddles Bob Gir. General 11 June 29th 04 08:36 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM