Turtle Flat

Old November 7th 04, 11:52 PM
Neil Cherry

From: Neil Cherry
On 06 Nov 2004 17:35:40 GMT, Fx199 wrote:
From:
mmm (Mike Kruger)

but can you top this? On the BikeE when I see ... a big snapper
very, very slowly making his way across the road. With all the
traffic he's a definite goner. Me, I pull up and try to prod him
along with my front wheel, until he bites the tire and gives me a
flat! When I very, very carefully pick him up--he ****es all over
me. So I pitch him into the next pond as far as I can throw the
******* and start walking home."

I just slide turtles off the side of the road with my foot....Duh

I wouldn't recommend that with a big snapper. They can inflict some
major damage!

By the way you don't want to handle turtles, they are salmonella carriers.

That's a good point!

I feel good about rescuing turtles. I scoot them across with my foot at the
tail end.
Usually they will tuck in and glare at you, and let you scoot them across.
Snappers of course posture and hiss more than the other kinds.

Every snapper I've come across (the live one that is) have immediately
snapped at the nearest thing. The ones I've seen have been around 18 -
24 inches in size. Nasty temperament! I guess to get to be that size
they have to be able to defend themselves.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II)
http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
Old November 10th 04, 03:18 AM
Michael J. Klein

From: Neil Cherry
On 06 Nov 2004 17:35:40 GMT, Fx199 wrote:
From:
[...]

Sometimes the only way to move them is to wave something in front of
them onto which they will invariably latch, and then drag them off the
road.

Michael J. Klein

Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings
Old November 11th 04, 12:33 AM
Bill Baka

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:18:39 +0800, Michael J. Klein
wrote:
snip
Every snapper I've come across (the live one that is) have immediately
snapped at the nearest thing. The ones I've seen have been around 18 -
24 inches in size. Nasty temperament! I guess to get to be that size
they have to be able to defend themselves.

Sometimes the only way to move them is to wave something in front of
them onto which they will invariably latch, and then drag them off the
road.

Michael J. Klein
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

About 20 years ago I was going to Arkansas to visit my dad,
on the interstate, 40, and pulled over to stretch my legs.
The road was almost paved over with turtle shells, the
contents of which were splatted out. Turtle genocide by
motor vehicles. I scooted about a dozen off of the road
before I resumed driving. I have heard stories about efforts
to put "turtle tunnels" under some of the turtle paths.
The turtles and even the tarantulas in Texas, Arkansas, etc.
all have bad attitudes, not mellow like the California
counterparts.
Bill Baka
Old November 11th 04, 12:24 PM
Michael J. Klein

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:33:37 -0800, Bill Baka wrote:

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:18:39 +0800, Michael J. Klein
wrote:
snip
[...]

Bill, I was on an island in the middle of a crab migration. Thousands
were hit by cars, but apparently the crabs like to point their claws
upwards when the car is about to strike, resulting in a few stabbed
tires, lol.

I wonder how the population would cope if all those individuals
remained alive in the above examples...