It needs a ramp! RIP HWY 1

Old January 30th 21, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default It needs a ramp! RIP HWY 1

https://tinyurl.com/yx8fw7t9 Yikes. More he https://www.foxnews.com/us/deadly-ca...iconic-highway

That was a spectacular area to ride, except for the tourist traffic. My guess is that a couple of dump trucks of fill isn't going to fix it. https://tinyurl.com/y55c43ng

If they put in a ramp, I know I could jump it. The hike-a-bike around the edge looks a bit sketchy.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 30th 21, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 1/30/2021 10:57 AM, jbeattie wrote:
https://tinyurl.com/yx8fw7t9 Yikes. More he https://www.foxnews.com/us/deadly-ca...iconic-highway

That was a spectacular area to ride, except for the tourist traffic. My guess is that a couple of dump trucks of fill isn't going to fix it. https://tinyurl.com/y55c43ng

If they put in a ramp, I know I could jump it. The hike-a-bike around the edge looks a bit sketchy.

-- Jay Beattie.

Wow. Very sad. I wonder how long it will take to re-connect, and /how/
they can. Filling the hole doesn't seem like a viable option. Is it
tenable to carve deeper into the cliffside to go around the hole?

Fond memories of (bike) touring through that stretch the summer after
college.

Mark J.

Old January 31st 21, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

https://tinyurl.com/yx8fw7t9Â* Yikes.Â* More he
https://www.foxnews.com/us/deadly-ca...iconic-highway

That was a spectacular area to ride, except for the tourist traffic.
My guess is that a couple of dump trucks of fill isn't going to fix
it. https://tinyurl.com/y55c43ng

If they put in a ramp, I know I could jump it.Â* The hike-a-bike around
the edge looks a bit sketchy.

-- Jay Beattie.

Wow. Very sad. I wonder how long it will take to re-connect, and /how/
they can.Â* Filling the hole doesn't seem like a viable option. Is it
tenable to carve deeper into the cliffside to go around the hole?

Maybe a nice spot for a bridge, if there's enough soil stability at the
ends.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 31st 21, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 10:57:48 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/yx8fw7t9 Yikes. More he
https://www.foxnews.com/us/deadly-ca...iconic-highway
That was a spectacular area to ride, except for the tourist
traffic. My guess is that a couple of dump trucks of fill
isn't going to fix it. https://tinyurl.com/y55c43ng

If they put in a ramp, I know I could jump it. The
hike-a-bike around the edge looks a bit sketchy.

-- Jay Beattie.

Washouts and landslides are a regular occurrence in that stretch of
Big Sur. Caltrans has buried quite a bit of tax money in the road and
bridges. Yet, the roads continue to collapse. The 2017 Mud Creek
slide 2.5 million cubic yards of ummm... mud after a slide in the area
a year before of 5 million cubic yards of ummm... mud.

Here's an article from 2017 with some road history:

"Highway 1 transformed Big Sur, and opened its coastline to the world.
That has been both a blessing and a curse."
https://www.montereycountyweekly.com/news/cover/highway-1-transformed-big-sur-and-opened-its-coastline-to-the-world-that-has-been/article_6016e926-6cb5-11e7-9840-fb2e98e7824f.amp.html
A 2001 report commissioned by Caltrans shows there
had been about 94 major closures on the road up to
that time. In 1998, the most disastrous year for
the road, there were about 40 closures. Two heavy
equipment operators have lost their lives repairing
the road; the first died when his tractor plunged
into the sea in 1973, and the second was killed by
a mudslide in 1983.

When my father had a stroke in 1986, I spent the next 9 years
commuting between Ben Lomond and Smog Angeles. I tried to make the
drive south to L.A. as pleasant as possible, so I took Hwy 1 for about
half the 300 mile drive. I got to see some of Big Sur but couldn't
stay very long. There were several years when Hwy 1 was closed due to
landslides and/or construction.

Also along the highway, but south of Big Sur was the Ragged Point Inn:
https://www.raggedpointinn.com
During the late 1970's, I would go there to get some peace and quiet
when I wanted to do some serious writing or designing. There were
some rooms (stucco shacks) between the main hotel building which
included a nearby 350 ft drop into the ocean. The only thing keeping
the rooms from sliding off the cliff was the prevailing onshore wind.
I was able to get almost for free if I timed my visits to coincide
with winter, bad weather, Hwy 1 road closures, and agreed to do some
much needed repairs for a day or two. Looks like the shacks are long
gone and replaced by more modern rooms and a safety fence:
https://goo.gl/maps/wFwjzaNgWTF1yvRj7
Also looks like the coast line has receded, the dead cars removed from
the waterline, much landscaping, many new buildings, and most of the
old buildings have been replaced with something more "rustic". I
don't know if I can recommend the hotel because I brought my own
supplies and did my own cooking and housekeeping. That was also 40
years ago. However, the coastal scenery is spectacular and well worth
stopping.

Ok, enough nostalgia for now.
--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 31st 21, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, January 30, 2021 at 1:57:51 p.m. UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
https://tinyurl.com/yx8fw7t9 Yikes. More he https://www.foxnews.com/us/deadly-ca...iconic-highway

That was a spectacular area to ride, except for the tourist traffic. My guess is that a couple of dump trucks of fill isn't going to fix it. https://tinyurl.com/y55c43ng

If they put in a ramp, I know I could jump it. The hike-a-bike around the edge looks a bit sketchy.

-- Jay Beattie.

So, with Hwy. 1 closed how do you get past that slide?

Cheers
Old January 31st 21, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/30/2021 10:57 AM, jbeattie wrote:
https://tinyurl.com/yx8fw7t9 Yikes. More he https://www.foxnews.com/us/deadly-ca...iconic-highway

That was a spectacular area to ride, except for the tourist traffic. My guess is that a couple of dump trucks of fill isn't going to fix it. https://tinyurl.com/y55c43ng

If they put in a ramp, I know I could jump it. The hike-a-bike around the edge looks a bit sketchy.

-- Jay Beattie.

It looked like an impossible task but Caltrans has already approved a
contract for the repairs.

In the 1980's we had a similar cliffside washout in Redwood City. It
looked completely hopeless but they managed to rebuild the base for the
road. It took a couple of years.

Old January 31st 21, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 18:29:35 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

So, with Hwy. 1 closed how do you get past that slide?
Cheers

Walk and possibly ride your bicycle. In 2017, there were several
bypass trails built to allow access across the slide areas. See map
at:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Road-to-Big-Sur-isolated-by-landslides-now-a-11736963.php
I presume that something similar will be built until after the road is
repaired.

There's also the Lake Nacimiento to Ferguson Rd. I've never tried it
but I hear that it's probably 4WD only:
https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/4308-nacimiento-fergusson-road.html

In Santa Cruz county, the section of Hwy 9 between Felton and Santa
Cruz, tends to have chronic landslides. The state closes the highway
at both ends to all vehicle traffic. However, hikers and bicyclists
are tolerated. Without the usual automobile traffic, it's a haven for
bicyclists. I've heard that Hwy 1 in Big Sur was like that during the
read repairs, but I don't know the details.

Old January 31st 21, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

I was wondering what motor vehicle driver are going to do whilst the highway is closed. I guess there is an alternate route not too far away?

Cheers
Old January 31st 21, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, January 30, 2021 at 10:57:51 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
https://tinyurl.com/yx8fw7t9 Yikes. More he https://www.foxnews.com/us/deadly-ca...iconic-highway

That was a spectacular area to ride, except for the tourist traffic. My guess is that a couple of dump trucks of fill isn't going to fix it. https://tinyurl.com/y55c43ng

If they put in a ramp, I know I could jump it. The hike-a-bike around the edge looks a bit sketchy.

Locally the same thing happened on Redwood Rd. What they did was to pound in pilings to support building a concrete wall and then built a roadway above it. This is a permanent fix although Highway 1 would have to build this extremely heavy since they get a lot of heavy truck traffic.
Old January 31st 21, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

There are alternate routes but not close. Highway 1 in unique. You have to remember that you build roads on the hillside rather than in canyons because you don't want people buried instead of a road washing out. Road engineers have a long history of learning from their mistakes.

Start ramp crash at the Vuelta Susan Walker Racing 9 August 30th 09 07:23 PM
Ramp Building Ganon Unicycling 11 July 26th 07 02:13 PM
Dropping into a vert-ramp critter Unicycling 18 July 18th 05 09:48 PM
Coker skatepark photos (#4) - Top of ramp HardcoreCokerRider Unicycling 5 November 28th 04 07:34 PM
Skatepark ramp riding photos on my Coker HardcoreCokerRider Unicycling 2 November 24th 04 08:23 PM