Pedal Cycle Casualties in Greater London

Old May 24th 05, 08:00 PM
Tilly

Default Pedal Cycle Casualties in Greater London

PDF download

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/downlo...ties-04-05.pdf
Old May 25th 05, 07:33 AM
Tilly

On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:00:07 +0100, Tilly
wrote:

PDF download

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/downlo...ties-04-05.pdf

"Only 2% of pedal cycle casualties were recorded as disobeying a Stop
or Give Way sign thus implying that in the majority of cases [427 of
pedal cycle casualties], where a junction control was disobeyed, it
was the other vehicle that failed to stop or give way."

10% (40) of KSI, including 2 deaths, are described as, "Pedal cycle
hits open door or swerves to avoid open door of other vehicle." This
is the most common form of KSI in London.

In the 95 - 99 age category there were no fatal or serious injuries,
but one cyclist in this age group was slightly injured.

Every 2-3 years a 24 hour survey is carried out counting pedal cycles
crossing the Greater London Boundary, Inner London Boundary and
Central London Boundary. Overall, cycling in London has increased
from about 85,000 cycles crossing the boundaries in 1980 to 100,000 in
2003. Most of this increase is in crossing the Central London
Boundary in the two years 2001 - 2003, since the introduction of the
Congestion Charge.

KSI has fallen by 23% in the period 1994-1998 average to 2003, and all
casualties have fallen by 43% since the 1982 high. Casualties rose by
0.2% 2002 to 2003.

No data on helmet use is in the report.
Old May 25th 05, 09:36 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Tilly

wrote:

PDF download

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/downlo...ties-04-05.pdf

Thanks for this very useful summary

"Only 2% of pedal cycle casualties were recorded as disobeying a Stop
or Give Way sign thus implying that in the majority of cases [427 of
pedal cycle casualties], where a junction control was disobeyed, it
was the other vehicle that failed to stop or give way."

So all this talk of cyclists running red lights seems greatly
exaggerated.

10% (40) of KSI, including 2 deaths, are described as, "Pedal cycle
hits open door or swerves to avoid open door of other vehicle." This
is the most common form of KSI in London.

That's scary. I hadn't thought of dooring as a potential cause of KSI.

In the 95 - 99 age category there were no fatal or serious injuries,
but one cyclist in this age group was slightly injured.

Yoh! I hope if I ever get to that age I'll still have the guts to ride
my bike - mind you, I've known people of that age who did...

;; Perl ... is the Brittney Spears of programming - easily accessible
;; but, in the final analysis, empty of any significant thought
;; Frank Adrian on Slashdot, 21st July 2003
Old May 25th 05, 11:11 AM
Pete Bentley

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Tilly
') wrote:
"Only 2% of pedal cycle casualties were recorded as disobeying a Stop
or Give Way sign [...]

So all this talk of cyclists running red lights seems greatly
exaggerated.

Not really, but it doesn't appear to be a major cause of accidents.

I must have seen thousands of cyclists run red lights in London, but
never seen an accident because of it. Most red light running seems
to either happen during the pedestrian phase of a set of lights
(often to the inconvenience of pedestrians) or when there is no
cross-traffic to conflict with.

Aside: I found out in the pub last night that a friend of mine has
received not one but two Fixed Penalty Notices for running red
lights in the City of London, so it the rules do get enforced
sometimes. 50 quid a pop too, so a nice little earner for the polis.

10% (40) of KSI, including 2 deaths, are described as, "Pedal cycle
hits open door or swerves to avoid open door of other vehicle." This
is the most common form of KSI in London.

That's scary. I hadn't thought of dooring as a potential cause of KSI.

I can see that - happened to me once when I was filtering down the
left hand side of a queue of traffic (there wasn't enough room on
the right) and wasn't paying enough attention nor had I left quite
as much room on the inside as I thought. I manage to almost avoid
the door but it caught the end of my handlebar, spilling me off the
bike into the queue of traffic. I was travelling slowly so the fall
didn't hurt much, but the potential for being squished by a motor
vehicle was pretty high.

On the plus side, I learned that my judgement about what size of
gap is safe to filter through was somewhat off, with relatively
little bodily harm.

Pete.
Old May 25th 05, 12:52 PM
Mike Causer

On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:36:24 +0100, Simon Brooke wrote:

10% (40) of KSI, including 2 deaths, are described as, "Pedal cycle hits
open door or swerves to avoid open door of other vehicle." This is the
most common form of KSI in London.

That's scary. I hadn't thought of dooring as a potential cause of KSI.

See http://www.bikexprt.com/massfacil/ca...one/laird1.htm

Mike
Old May 25th 05, 01:02 PM
jtaylor

') wrote:

On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:00:07 +0100, Tilly
wrote:

PDF download

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/downlo...heets/Pedal-Cy

clist-Casualties-04-05.pdf

Thanks for this very useful summary

"Only 2% of pedal cycle casualties were recorded as disobeying a Stop
or Give Way sign thus implying that in the majority of cases [427 of
pedal cycle casualties], where a junction control was disobeyed, it
was the other vehicle that failed to stop or give way."

So all this talk of cyclists running red lights seems greatly
exaggerated.

Not necessarily.

It may well be that running a red light has a low associated risk.

Old May 25th 05, 01:04 PM
davek

Tilly wrote:
In the 95 - 99 age category there were no fatal or serious injuries,
but one cyclist in this age group was slightly injured.

Sorry though I am to hear that he/she was injured, the very fact that
there is such a category has made my day.

Casualties rose by
0.2% 2002 to 2003.

Presumably this rise is outweighed by the increased number of cyclists
on the road, so in "real terms" injuries are continuing their downward
trend. Is that a fair assumption?

I wonder, is there any hard evidence to show that the increased number
of cyclists is contributing to the reduction in accidents? I mean, we
all know about the situation in the Netherlands, but are we getting
that way in London, too? Cause for optimism, perhaps.

d.

Old May 25th 05, 01:21 PM
Peter Fox

Following on from Tilly's message. . .
PDF download

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/downlo...tsheets/Pedal-
Cyclist-Casualties-04-05.pdf

Working from the data contained in this document I've worked out the
average distance between accidents.

Slight - 75,000 miles
Killed/Seriously injured - 460,000 miles
Any - 66,000 miles

This takes into account the known under-reporting at a constant 60%
which is more pessimistic than the best estimate also provided.

For somebody doing 5000 miles a year this is:

Slight - 15 years
Killed/Seriously injured - 92 years
Any - 13 years

So much for the Guardian's 'nasty accident every year'.

As they say YMMV.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the e-commerce business came to a .

www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists
Old May 25th 05, 02:19 PM
dkahn400

Mike Causer wrote:
On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:36:24 +0100, Simon Brooke wrote:

That's scary. I hadn't thought of dooring as a potential cause of
KSI.

Doorings are usually very nasty either from the direct impact or from
being knocked into the path of motor traffic.

See http://www.bikexprt.com/massfacil/ca...one/laird1.htm

Horrible incident. Lethal cycle lane right in the door zone. We've got
too many of those in the UK as well, yet they keep on painting more.

--
Dave...

Old May 25th 05, 02:32 PM
Dave Larrington

dkahn400 wrote:

Doorings are usually very nasty either from the direct impact or from
being knocked into the path of motor traffic.

See http://www.bikexprt.com/massfacil/ca...one/laird1.htm

Horrible incident. Lethal cycle lane right in the door zone. We've got
too many of those in the UK as well, yet they keep on painting more.

I see dead people... Grr!

A Leftpondian e-quaintance was once riding merrily along a rural cycle
trail, as they tend to call them Over There, when he was doored...

....by someone emerging from a trailside portaloo.

Apparently Guy has now got a Brompton. I'd never have guessed.

Whither Pedal Steer II Ohio Jerry Recumbent Biking 6 May 9th 05 08:54 AM
Central London Cycle Shop Stroller UK 4 April 22nd 05 07:42 PM
Cycle Saturation Project John Hearns UK 0 April 11th 05 02:07 PM
new Cycle Surgery branch in London? Rod M UK 1 March 25th 05 02:38 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie Racing 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM