Really waterproof cycle computer?

Old January 10th 06, 10:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Really waterproof cycle computer?

Looking for a cycle computer, which withstands washing in the machine...
or at least does not fade after a really heavy rain. Sigma and CatEye
do not fill this simple requirement (but I was using basic models,
maybe more advanced ones are also better protected?).

VDO (vdocyclecomputers.com) markets theirs as "water resistant";
has anybody real experience with that?

I also want to mount it on the stem, because all handlebar space is
sometimes occupied with lights. This excludes all CatEyes, if I
understand it right. And, hey, it must have a backlight for night riding.
Am I aiming for too much? No one else rides in the night under rain?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Konstantin Shemyak.

Old January 10th 06, 10:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Konstantin Shemyak wrote:
Looking for a cycle computer, which withstands washing in the machine...
or at least does not fade after a really heavy rain. Sigma and CatEye
do not fill this simple requirement (but I was using basic models,
maybe more advanced ones are also better protected?).

VDO (vdocyclecomputers.com) markets theirs as "water resistant";
has anybody real experience with that?

I also want to mount it on the stem, because all handlebar space is
sometimes occupied with lights. This excludes all CatEyes, if I
understand it right. And, hey, it must have a backlight for night riding.
Am I aiming for too much? No one else rides in the night under rain?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Konstantin Shemyak.

I'm using a Sigma BC1600 for a couple of years and it never faded even
after heavy rain. I don't know if it's better sealed than the more
basics models, maybe you just got more rain than me...
Anyway you can mount it on the stem too.

Francesco
Old January 10th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article , Konstantin
Shemyak ) wrote:
Looking for a cycle computer, which withstands washing in the machine...
or at least does not fade after a really heavy rain. Sigma and CatEye
do not fill this simple requirement (but I was using basic models,
maybe more advanced ones are also better protected?).

VDO (vdocyclecomputers.com) markets theirs as "water resistant";
has anybody real experience with that?

I also want to mount it on the stem, because all handlebar space is
sometimes occupied with lights. This excludes all CatEyes, if I
understand it right. And, hey, it must have a backlight for night riding.
Am I aiming for too much? No one else rides in the night under rain?

Not tried the washing machine test, but I've personally had no problems
with Cateye computers - Mity & Astrale - in Serious Rain.

Cateye sell a separate stem mount kit which attaches to the stem with
cable ties
URL:http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/bespok...ares.html?pid=
1332

Backlit computers are something of a rarity, though Sigma make computer
lights which strap to the bars URL:http://www.parker-
international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/99/groupID/1/categoryID
/106/v/. Alternatively, a helmet-mounted light or head torch will do
the trick.

Although the hippopotamus hath no sting in its tail, the wise man would
rather be seated upon the back of a bee.
Old January 10th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dave Larrington wrote:
In article , Konstantin
Shemyak ) wrote:
Looking for a cycle computer, which withstands washing in the machine...
or at least does not fade after a really heavy rain. Sigma and CatEye
do not fill this simple requirement (but I was using basic models,
maybe more advanced ones are also better protected?).

VDO (vdocyclecomputers.com) markets theirs as "water resistant";
has anybody real experience with that?

I also want to mount it on the stem, because all handlebar space is
sometimes occupied with lights. This excludes all CatEyes, if I
understand it right. And, hey, it must have a backlight for night riding.
Am I aiming for too much? No one else rides in the night under rain?

Not tried the washing machine test, but I've personally had no problems
with Cateye computers - Mity & Astrale - in Serious Rain.

My cateyes have stopped when very wet, once the contacts dry out, they
work again. The box itself is fine, it's the contacts for the senders
that get b0rked by heavy rain.

I haven't had the same problem with my new Sigma BC1200, the contact
area is a much more positive fit and I suspect, less vulnerable to
water ingress.

Old January 10th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Francesco Devittori" frenkatfrenkdtcm wrote in message
Konstantin Shemyak wrote:
[...]

Sigma BC800 here, no problems riding in the rain.
-tom

Old January 10th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:34:46 GMT, Konstantin Shemyak
wrote:

Looking for a cycle computer, which withstands washing in the machine...
or at least does not fade after a really heavy rain. Sigma and CatEye
do not fill this simple requirement (but I was using basic models,
maybe more advanced ones are also better protected?).

VDO (vdocyclecomputers.com) markets theirs as "water resistant";
has anybody real experience with that?

I also want to mount it on the stem, because all handlebar space is
sometimes occupied with lights. This excludes all CatEyes, if I
understand it right. And, hey, it must have a backlight for night riding.
Am I aiming for too much? No one else rides in the night under rain?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Don't laugh. The stupid-cheap $9 Schwinn at Walmart. No washer cycle testing,
but literally dozens of rain rides, including getting caught in torrential
thunderstorms during the hurricanes that hit Florida last year. It isn't a stem
mount, but the bracket is offset so it only uses 3/8" of bar space and the head
rides inline, over or in front of the stem. Oh, it has a latch holding the head
to the mount so it doesn't squirt out if you press a button clumsily. Oops, no
backlight. You'll have to arrange your lighting so some of the splash
illuminates it.

Ron
Old January 10th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Konstantin Shemyak" wrote in message
.. .
Looking for a cycle computer, which withstands washing in the machine...
or at least does not fade after a really heavy rain. Sigma and CatEye
do not fill this simple requirement (but I was using basic models,
maybe more advanced ones are also better protected?).

VDO (vdocyclecomputers.com) markets theirs as "water resistant";
has anybody real experience with that?

I also want to mount it on the stem, because all handlebar space is
sometimes occupied with lights. This excludes all CatEyes, if I
understand it right. And, hey, it must have a backlight for night riding.
Am I aiming for too much? No one else rides in the night under rain?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Konstantin Shemyak.

Just a couple of observations:

1) Often when using the CatEye wired computers the computer is just fine but
the treminals in the mount short out with mud and water. I have used WD 40
or Vasoline to help keep gunk out of the terminals. This often helps

2) Since switching to the Polar wireless system everything has been great in
all weather conditions, perhaps a wireless system would serve you well.

Dave

Noblesville, IN

Old January 10th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Konstantin Shemyak wrote:

Looking for a cycle computer, which withstands washing in the machine...
or at least does not fade after a really heavy rain. Sigma and CatEye
do not fill this simple requirement (but I was using basic models,
maybe more advanced ones are also better protected?).

VDO (vdocyclecomputers.com) markets theirs as "water resistant";
has anybody real experience with that?

I'll echo a few other posts: my CatEye Mity has held quite well
through the few times I was caught in a downpour.

Also, some time back, "waterproof" pretty much disappeared from the
lexicon. I'd have to guess that somebody banged their scuba watch
against a rock at 130 feet, cracking the crystal and ruining the
watch. Thereafter, everything was called "water resistant."

In fact, I recall a dive watch that came from the manufacturer
displayed in a tube filled with water. That watch, too, was called
'water-resistant.'
--
Live simply so that others may simply live
Old January 10th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Konstantin Shemyak wrote:
Looking for a cycle computer, which withstands washing in the machine...
or at least does not fade after a really heavy rain. Sigma and CatEye
do not fill this simple requirement (but I was using basic models,
maybe more advanced ones are also better protected?).

VDO (vdocyclecomputers.com) markets theirs as "water resistant";
has anybody real experience with that?

I also want to mount it on the stem, because all handlebar space is
sometimes occupied with lights. This excludes all CatEyes, if I
understand it right. And, hey, it must have a backlight for night riding.
Am I aiming for too much? No one else rides in the night under rain?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Konstantin Shemyak.

Regarding VDO computers, these are supposed to be high-quality, so I
recently bought a VDO C2D2. This is a wireless unit. The speed reading
dropped out at least five times on my first ride, seemingly every time
I rode near high-tension power lines. I don't know if this is
symptomatic of all wireless computers, but I returned it for a wired
unit, the MC1.0.
The wired handlebar mount is two pieces of plastic press-fit together.
They separated on the first ride, leaving the cyclometer dangling from
the handlebars by it's connecting wire. I repaired the mount with krazy
glue, but so far, I'm not all that impressed with the quality of VDO
computers.
Regarding your specific questions, I haven't ridden it in the rain yet,
so I don't know about that. And, as far as I know, none of the VDO
computers have built-in illumination.