Goodbye TdF on OLN

Old July 8th 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Goodbye TdF on OLN

No more Lance so lots of Americans aren't watching any mo

"Through the first four stages, viewership of OLN's live Tour coverage
has tumbled 49 percent to 207,544 people. Combined viewership of the
live show and its daily repeats has plunged by 47 percent to 749,472."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/07/sp...sandomir.html?

NY Times, registration required.

That's a steep drop in ratings. Steep enough that OLN will probably
drop cycling and focus on bulls and fish fulltime.

Old July 8th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

No more Lance so lots of Americans aren't watching any mo

"Through the first four stages, viewership of OLN's live Tour coverage
has tumbled 49 percent to 207,544 people. Combined viewership of the
live show and its daily repeats has plunged by 47 percent to 749,472."

I suspect you'll see viewership trending upward from the first time-trial
(tomorrow morning, 7/8)-on. Let's face it, aside from the last 30 seconds,
things haven't been terribly exciting. Let's see now, is the small breakaway
going to be caught with 6km to go, or just 4? It's a foregone conclusion
that they'll be caught, it's a foregone conclusion that nobody's going to
get away for a dramatic stage win during the first week this year.

Once things break up a bit (post time-trial), it will be a far more exciting
race.

For what it's worth, my customers are having a difficult time understanding
why a breakaway has so much less chance of success now than it will after
tomorrow. The explanation is that, while the race is very tight virtually
from first to last place right now, anybody off in a break that succeeds is
likely to snag the yellow jersey... and thus they won't be allowed to. After
Saturday, it will be possible, even likely, that a dramatic stage victory
won't result in a massive reodering of the general classification (or the
awarding of the yellow jersey).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

oups.com...

Old July 8th 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Mike Jacoubowsky:

For what it's worth, my customers are having a difficult time understanding
why a breakaway has so much less chance of success now than it will after
tomorrow. The explanation is that, while the race is very tight virtually
from first to last place right now, anybody off in a break that succeeds is
likely to snag the yellow jersey... and thus they won't be allowed to. After
Saturday, it will be possible, even likely, that a dramatic stage victory
won't result in a massive reodering of the general classification (or the
awarding of the yellow jersey).

I don't think that even after the time trial, there will be much chance
for an escape to succeed. Not until the mountains. After a mountain
stage or two, some riders lose serious time, like an hour or two. Then
some of those laggers can escape in a following (flat) stage and get
away by up to a half hour because the peloton doesn't care. The only
ones who hate that happening are the sprinters, and only if it's still
a close battle. If an escape gets away by half an hour, obviously it
will succeed. If the peloton cares enough about an escape, it will
never let the escape get away by THAT much though.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I see the time trial as only
opening up separation of 5 minutes or less for most of the riders. If
so, I don't see any escape succeeding before the mountains. Robby
McEwen is having too much fun winning these sprint finishes, and he
won't willingly give up the chance to take a stage win.

Old July 8th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On 7 Jul 2006 22:43:26 -0700, "wimpyVO2"
wrote:

No more Lance so lots of Americans aren't watching any mo

They manage to name drop him every 2 minutes or so though.

"Through the first four stages, viewership of OLN's live Tour coverage
has tumbled 49 percent to 207,544 people. Combined viewership of the
live show and its daily repeats has plunged by 47 percent to 749,472."

Maybe time to start cutting overhead Trautwig, Andreu , Hummer, Roll
and put Ligget and Sherwin in maybe a small windowless van with a
small TV which of course they can sleep in instead of those fancy
hotels.

Old July 8th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Note that these ratings are higher than hockey. Suppose that says more
about hockey than cycling.

"wimpyVO2" wrote in message
oups.com...
No more Lance so lots of Americans aren't watching any mo

"Through the first four stages, viewership of OLN's live Tour coverage
has tumbled 49 percent to 207,544 people. Combined viewership of the
live show and its daily repeats has plunged by 47 percent to 749,472."

Does anyone realize that we're talking about rating for a live
TV show that is occuring during the working hours of most Americans?
Or does anyone also realize that many people don't get OLN because it
is a Comcast channel?

--
---
William O'Hara
Old July 8th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 06:28:11 -0500, "William O'Hara"
wrote:

Note that these ratings are higher than hockey. Suppose that says more
about hockey than cycling.

"wimpyVO2" wrote in message
oups.com...
No more Lance so lots of Americans aren't watching any mo

"Through the first four stages, viewership of OLN's live Tour coverage
has tumbled 49 percent to 207,544 people. Combined viewership of the
live show and its daily repeats has plunged by 47 percent to 749,472."

Does anyone realize that we're talking about rating for a live
TV show that is occuring during the working hours of most Americans?
Or does anyone also realize that many people don't get OLN because it
is a Comcast channel?

It is comparing YOY numbers and the same coonditions existed last year
and the repeats plunged as well.
Old July 8th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wimpyVO2 wrote:
No more Lance so lots of Americans aren't watching any mo

"Through the first four stages, viewership of OLN's live Tour coverage
has tumbled 49 percent to 207,544 people. Combined viewership of the
live show and its daily repeats has plunged by 47 percent to 749,472."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/07/sp...sandomir.html?

NY Times, registration required.

That's a steep drop in ratings. Steep enough that OLN will probably
drop cycling and focus on bulls and fish fulltime.

I was so ****ed off by the scandals that I made a point of not watching
even a little bit; but my wife was, and when I came back in the evening
she wanted to watch the repeat, so while I was on my pc I was catching
a bit here and there- I found the coverage to be better than previous
years when there was too much fox style/nascar swooping logos and
special effects which really irritate me for some reason. so, now,
while I still feel a bit burnt by the peleton cheats I am beginning to
take an interest in the race again.

Goodbye carbon stays and integrated headsets... Ron Ruff Techniques 43 December 7th 05 08:30 AM
Goodbye Gilby yoopers Unicycling 18 June 7th 04 11:27 PM
Kiss goodbye to your door, you ****** BrakePiston UK 6 June 3rd 04 09:52 PM
Goodbye thinuniking Unicycling 2 March 3rd 04 07:42 PM
Unreason, and Goodbye. Mark Hickey Mountain Biking 1 February 17th 04 02:21 AM