Senior Olympics

Old August 13th 04, 12:17 PM
Edward Dolan

Default Senior Olympics

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message
"Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Child" wrote:

i just got back from a work related visit to Nome, Alaska, a town of

3,000.
Probably half native and half other. It was a lovely experience -

everyone
was so friendly, and genuinely nice, but there appear to be no secrets!

now want to move to Nome. Boytoy says he won't make it through the
winter.....Ah well.

The problem with Alaska and all far northern places is that you are

living
on the fringes of where humans can live. Please take note of the fact

that
there are no great numbers of people living on the continent of

Antarctica -
and for good reason. You need to start thinking about "going south". That
"going north" business is strictly for the Eskimo and the polar bear.

What? You think Eskimos aren't humans?

The Eskimos are definitely human, but they have been pushed to the outer
limits of where humans can live. The tropics are the true home of us humans.
However, the problem with the tropics is that they are also the home of
numerous pestiferous insects which carry diseases which can kill us without
have trying. I think the temperate climates are the best compromise.

Her big problem was with the selection of locations! First, she
lives in Los Anchorage, where they grow palm trees and Texans.
(The Texans make up for a lack of coconuts on the palm trees.)
It's just *not* suitable for human habitation! Second, she
visits Nome of all places. She clearly waited too long (folks
don't do anything in Nome that doesn't lead to divorce), and
should have visited there *before* she got hitched.

Texas is probably where we should all be living if we had any sense. But
humans will live wherever they can make a living. This is not as admirable
as some may think.

Nome's a nice place to visit, but really... it's just another
Whiteman's town.

My God! Who the hell would be living in Nome except Eskimos?

As Scott lay dying of starvation and exposure in his tent in the

Antarctic
cold, he wrote in his journal ... My God! This is a horrible place! I

think

Visit Bethel, Kotzebue or Barrow. Get farther away from the
Alaska State Legislature! Go to places where people actually
know how to live in the Arctic. Where they say, "My GOD, this
is a *wonderful* place!"

We humans do not know how to live in the Arctic except with our high
technology. Admittedly, the Eskimos do know how, but it is a very
circumscribed existence to say the least. I hate Minnesota because of the
cold. You can just imagine how much I would hate Bethel, Kotzebue and
Barrow. Thanks, but no thanks!

My God! We have not had a proper summer here in Minnesota this year. It has
been on the cool side. What is all this business about global warming? Right
now it feels like October.

that just about says it all. Do not even THINK about moving to Nome.

Seattle
is your true home, not the frozen tundra of the North.

You realize that it *rains* in Seattle???? Yech!

Rain is nectar from the Gods. I have always liked a rainy day. I can sit at
home and look at it rain from out my window all day.

Plus, and Beth probably won't understand this one yet, but the
fact is that south of the Alaska Range, the snow isn't crunchy.
If the snow don't crunch when you walk on it, go NORTH!

Screw snow all the way to hell and back! I hate it! Christ, you can't even
drink it unless you melt it first. You might want to consider emigrating to
the planet Mars as I understand that living conditions there would be
marginal at best.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 13th 04, 02:08 PM
Floyd L. Davidson

"Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote:
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

What? You think Eskimos aren't humans?

The Eskimos are definitely human, but they have been pushed to the outer
limits of where humans can live. The tropics are the true home of us humans.

You've screwed your head on backwards this morning! Nobody
should have to suffer temperatures higher than 65F. We *dont't*
need to be sweaty all the time...

However, the problem with the tropics is that they are also the home of
numerous pestiferous insects which carry diseases which can kill us without
have trying. I think the temperate climates are the best compromise.

Snakes too, and they (like a lot of those insects) also live in
"temperate" climates.

If Ireland were cooler, it'd be okay too, I guess, eh?

Her big problem was with the selection of locations! First, she
lives in Los Anchorage, where they grow palm trees and Texans.
(The Texans make up for a lack of coconuts on the palm trees.)
It's just *not* suitable for human habitation! Second, she
visits Nome of all places. She clearly waited too long (folks
don't do anything in Nome that doesn't lead to divorce), and
should have visited there *before* she got hitched.

Texas is probably where we should all be living if we had any sense. But
humans will live wherever they can make a living. This is not as admirable
as some may think.

Nome's a nice place to visit, but really... it's just another
Whiteman's town.

My God! Who the hell would be living in Nome except Eskimos?

Well, the problem with Nome is that it has *always* been a
Whiteman's town! Really! It never actually was an Eskimo village.
That is as opposed to say Bethel and Kotzebue, where not only is
most of the population Eskimo, they pretty much run the place.

Barrow is even more different, Eskimos flat do run the place,
totally. The North Slope Borough mayor has always been a
whaling captain, and the borough has always been run pretty much
the way a whaling crew is run. It's one of the things that
makes this a nice place to live (of course, oil taxes and the
lack of Texans is of some significance too).

As Scott lay dying of starvation and exposure in his tent in the

Antarctic
cold, he wrote in his journal ... My God! This is a horrible place! I

think

Visit Bethel, Kotzebue or Barrow. Get farther away from the
Alaska State Legislature! Go to places where people actually
know how to live in the Arctic. Where they say, "My GOD, this
is a *wonderful* place!"

We humans do not know how to live in the Arctic except with our high
technology. Admittedly, the Eskimos do know how, but it is a very
circumscribed existence to say the least. I hate Minnesota because of the
cold. You can just imagine how much I would hate Bethel, Kotzebue and
Barrow. Thanks, but no thanks!

Circumscribed existence??? Yeh! The problem with Minnesota is
that it 1) doesn't really get cold enough for long enough, and
2) you don't have any Eskimos!

My God! We have not had a proper summer here in Minnesota this year. It has
been on the cool side. What is all this business about global warming? Right
now it feels like October.

I can't wait until October, myself. May and June usually aren't
too bad, but it hit 65F here half a dozen times in July and the
first week in August. One day it was even 70F. It's really
hard to handle. And September is the rainy season, so it might
be drizzling every other day for 3-4 weeks.

But thank goodness when the 1st of October arrives. Within a
week it will be frozen down, and all white and clean again.
From the first week in October until late next May, we won't
have any rain, we won't have any mudholes in the roads, we won't
track dirt into the house, and we won't have to sweat from
normal movement. And after November 18th we won't have to
squint with the sun in our eyes for 2 months.

The roads get smooth too. And it's easy to go places on the
tundra.

Life just gets way better come October (they catch a few whales
here in October too, so theres lots of good food too).

that just about says it all. Do not even THINK about moving to Nome.

Seattle
is your true home, not the frozen tundra of the North.

You realize that it *rains* in Seattle???? Yech!

Rain is nectar from the Gods. I have always liked a rainy day. I can sit at
home and look at it rain from out my window all day.

Rain is a misery dumped on the unworthy! If I wanted to get
wet, I've got a shower. I try test it once a month too, just to
be sure it works in case I ever need it.

Plus, and Beth probably won't understand this one yet, but the
fact is that south of the Alaska Range, the snow isn't crunchy.
If the snow don't crunch when you walk on it, go NORTH!

Screw snow all the way to hell and back! I hate it! Christ, you can't even
drink it unless you melt it first. You might want to consider emigrating to
the planet Mars as I understand that living conditions there would be
marginal at best.

The problem is that you live in Mini-soter. It gets cold and
miserable there, but you have none of the real advantages.
Eskimos *are* wonderful things! You can learn so much from
them...

--
FloydL. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 13th 04, 03:20 PM
Dave Larrington

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

If Ireland were cooler, it'd be okay too, I guess, eh?

[...]
Rain is a misery dumped on the unworthy! If I wanted to get
wet, I've got a shower. I try test it once a month too, just to
be sure it works in case I ever need it.

The second paragraph would seem to rule out Ireland then. It didn't get to
be Emerald by having a semi-permanent state of drought, y'know...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 13th 04, 04:03 PM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

Texas is probably where we should all be living if we had any sense. But
humans will live wherever they can make a living. This is not as admirable
as some may think....

West Texas is fine [1], but no reasonable person would want to live in
the high humidity of the southeastern part of the state during the
summer. No wonder Mr. Lee is so cranky at times.

[1] I spent a summer working outside in a town about an hour west of
Dallas-Fort Worth.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 13th 04, 05:44 PM
Edward Dolan

"Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote:
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

What? You think Eskimos aren't humans?

The Eskimos are definitely human, but they have been pushed to the outer
limits of where humans can live. The tropics are the true home of us

humans.

You've screwed your head on backwards this morning! Nobody
should have to suffer temperatures higher than 65F. We *dont't*
need to be sweaty all the time...

Did you not pay attention to what I said about us humans being tropical
animals. We are essentially naked apes. Now where do you suppose naked apes
could live other than the tropics?

However, the problem with the tropics is that they are also the home of
numerous pestiferous insects which carry diseases which can kill us

without
have trying. I think the temperate climates are the best compromise.

Snakes too, and they (like a lot of those insects) also live in
"temperate" climates.

If Ireland were cooler, it'd be okay too, I guess, eh?

The Births Isles have a temperate climate (thanks to the Gulf Stream), but
it is overcast and quite rainy there much of the year. But still, it is
infinitely preferable to the far north - which is only fit for Eskimos and
polar bears.

[...]

Those Texans living in Alaska are only there for the money. They will get
the hell out of there once the jobs are gone. In the end, Alaska will be for
the Eskimos and Indians with Whites in a few of the larger cities like
Anchorage and Fairbanks.

[...]

There are no symphony concerts in Alaska that I am aware of. Also, not much
at all in the way of high culture. Do you not know that man does not live by
bread alone - or should I say whale blubber? I need some high culture in my
life, not an eternal struggle for the bare essentials.

My God! We have not had a proper summer here in Minnesota this year. It

has
been on the cool side. What is all this business about global warming?

Right
now it feels like October.

I can't wait until October, myself. May and June usually aren't
too bad, but it hit 65F here half a dozen times in July and the
first week in August. One day it was even 70F. It's really
hard to handle. And September is the rainy season, so it might
be drizzling every other day for 3-4 weeks.

I like a good hard rain, not an eternal drizzle which is calculated to drive
a sane man insane.

But thank goodness when the 1st of October arrives. Within a
week it will be frozen down, and all white and clean again.
From the first week in October until late next May, we won't
have any rain, we won't have any mudholes in the roads, we won't
track dirt into the house, and we won't have to sweat from
normal movement. And after November 18th we won't have to
squint with the sun in our eyes for 2 months.

Sounds god-awful!

The roads get smooth too. And it's easy to go places on the
tundra.

Life just gets way better come October (they catch a few whales
here in October too, so theres lots of good food too).

Thanks for warning me. I will be sure to stay the hell out of Alaska for all
months of the year except possibly July and August.

that just about says it all. Do not even THINK about moving to Nome.

Seattle
is your true home, not the frozen tundra of the North.

You realize that it *rains* in Seattle???? Yech!

Rain is nectar from the Gods. I have always liked a rainy day. I can sit

at
home and look at it rain from out my window all day.

Rain is a misery dumped on the unworthy! If I wanted to get
wet, I've got a shower. I try test it once a month too, just to
be sure it works in case I ever need it.

You obviously know nothing about deserts and how totally inhospitable they
are to mankind. You deserve to be condemned to live in the middle of the
Sahara Desert of North Africa for a few years to learn the value of rain.

Plus, and Beth probably won't understand this one yet, but the
fact is that south of the Alaska Range, the snow isn't crunchy.
If the snow don't crunch when you walk on it, go NORTH!

Screw snow all the way to hell and back! I hate it! Christ, you can't

even
drink it unless you melt it first. You might want to consider emigrating

the planet Mars as I understand that living conditions there would be
marginal at best.

The problem is that you live in Mini-soter. It gets cold and
miserable there, but you have none of the real advantages.
Eskimos *are* wonderful things! You can learn so much from
them...

We have a lot of Germans and Scandinavians who settled in this god-forsaken
land, mainly because of the good prairie farming soil. The place probably
reminded the Scandinavians of their own poor homeland. Also, a few Irishmen
found their way here too. Farming land was the big draw. Why people are
living in huge cities here in Minnesota is a mystery to me.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 13th 04, 06:05 PM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

Texas is probably where we should all be living if we had any sense. But
humans will live wherever they can make a living. This is not as

admirable
as some may think....

West Texas is fine [1], but no reasonable person would want to live in
the high humidity of the southeastern part of the state during the
summer. No wonder Mr. Lee is so cranky at times.

[1] I spent a summer working outside in a town about an hour west of
Dallas-Fort Worth.

West Texas is like New Mexico and all the mountain West. It is basically a
desert. All the people in Texas live in the Eastern and Central areas which
get enough rainfall to make it habitable.

Those huge populations living in southern Arizona (and Las Vegas too as well
as the Los Angeles area) are totally dependent on Colorado River water.
There is not enough of that water for everyone who would like to live in the
desert. The true paradise of the US is the Great Lakes region. There is
plenty of water there and the climate is temperate.

Did you know that the Great Lakes area supported the largest population of
Indians on the North American continent outside of Mexico and Central
America prior to White conquest and settlement. There were even large
numbers of Indians living north of Lake Superior. Try to figure that one
out!

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 13th 04, 08:49 PM
Child

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
The problem with Alaska and all far northern places is that you are living
on the fringes of where humans can live. Please take note of the fact that
there are no great numbers of people living on the continent of

Antarctica -
and for good reason. You need to start thinking about "going south". That
"going north" business is strictly for the Eskimo and the polar bear.

For all you know, I AM a native alaskan.

Old August 13th 04, 08:51 PM
Child

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message
Her big problem was with the selection of locations! First, she
lives in Los Anchorage, where they grow palm trees and Texans.
(The Texans make up for a lack of coconuts on the palm trees.)
It's just *not* suitable for human habitation! Second, she
visits Nome of all places. She clearly waited too long (folks
don't do anything in Nome that doesn't lead to divorce), and
should have visited there *before* she got hitched.

You should see the souveniers I got at the board of trade.

Nome's a nice place to visit, but really... it's just another
Whiteman's town.

Its pretty integrated, yes. I actually thought it was nice to see a
harmoniously integrated town.

Visit Bethel, Kotzebue or Barrow. Get farther away from the
Alaska State Legislature! Go to places where people actually
know how to live in the Arctic. Where they say, "My GOD, this
is a *wonderful* place!"

I am going to Bethel shortly!

that just about says it all. Do not even THINK about moving to Nome.

Seattle
is your true home, not the frozen tundra of the North.

You realize that it *rains* in Seattle???? Yech!

Plus, and Beth probably won't understand this one yet, but the
fact is that south of the Alaska Range, the snow isn't crunchy.
If the snow don't crunch when you walk on it, go NORTH!

I once went to the slope on oil business. Perhaps someday the NS borough
will join the happy family of community health centers and I will get to
meet the famous Floyd, but until then the furthest north I get to go is
Bethel.

Old August 13th 04, 08:54 PM
Child

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
There are no symphony concerts in Alaska that I am aware of. Also, not

much
at all in the way of high culture. Do you not know that man does not live

by
bread alone - or should I say whale blubber? I need some high culture in

my
life, not an eternal struggle for the bare essentials.

Guess again!
http://www.anchoragesymphony.org/

Old August 13th 04, 08:55 PM
Child

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
The best professors I ever had at college admitted that they were ignorant
about many things, even in their own fields of expertise. The worst
professors I ever had would never admit to not knowing all there was to

know
about something. I always thought those types were ridiculous.

No one is an expert about everything. Not even you!