Special cassette removal tool that doesn't need a chain whip?

Old November 14th 03, 04:13 AM
Slacker

Default Special cassette removal tool that doesn't need a chain whip?

I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I
assumed it was a Park. I observed this guy taking off and installing a
cassette with nothing more than something like this
http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip.
This was about a year ago, so my memory isn't exactly clear.

Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml

Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?

--
Slacker

Old November 14th 03, 05:36 AM
Michael Dart

"Slacker" wrote in message
I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I
assumed it was a Park. I observed this guy taking off and installing a
cassette with nothing more than something like this
http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip.
This was about a year ago, so my memory isn't exactly clear.

Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml

Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?

--
Slacker

There's this
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...c=Tools&sc=Fre
ehub%20and%20Freewheel&tc=Cassette%20Cracker&item_ id=SN-HC

You don't need a chainwhip to install a lockring but you do to remove it
unless you use the above tool.

Mike

Old November 14th 03, 05:52 AM
FlyingCoyote

:
: Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
: http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml
:
: Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?
:
: --
: Slacker
:
:

Dunno if the tool exists but are you sure it wasn't the hub itself that
didn't require it? The Mavic CrossMax's that I run don't need a chain whip.
The cassette just pops right off after unscrewing the caps with an allen
wrench on each side. Very easy and convenient.

--

FlyingCoyote
http://boarsgut.com

Old November 14th 03, 09:41 AM
Westie

"FlyingCoyote" wrote in message
Dunno if the tool exists but are you sure it wasn't the hub itself that
didn't require it? The Mavic CrossMax's that I run don't need a chain

whip.
The cassette just pops right off after unscrewing the caps with an allen
wrench on each side. Very easy and convenient.

The cassette pops off? I'm the new owner of some Crossmax's and I wanted
that cassette off today.
I want to change the spoke protector to the Mavic supplied one.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Old November 14th 03, 03:02 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Slacker" wrote:

I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I
assumed it was a Park. I observed this guy taking off and installing a
cassette with nothing more than something like this
http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip.
This was about a year ago, so my memory isn't exactly clear.

Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml

Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?

I can't find a pic, but I have seen descriptions of a "chainless" chain
whip. It is about the size of a chain whip, but instead of ending with a
piece of chain, in ends with a crescent-shaped section that has a series
of "rollers" between two plates. These rollers engage the sprocket just
like a chain whip, but will only engage one (or a few) size of cog. The
advantage is probably a surer hold than a chain whip, plus easier
engagement.

-RjC.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old November 14th 03, 05:29 PM
miles todd

Slacker wrote:
I thought I saw a mechanic using one before. It had a blue handle, so I
assumed it was a Park. I observed this guy taking off and installing a
cassette with nothing more than something like this
http://www.parktool.com/tools/FRW_1.shtml . He didn't use a chain whip.
This was about a year ago, so my memory isn't exactly clear.

Anyway, now I can't seem to find it in Park's tool catalog
http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes/catindex_fr.shtml

Does such a tool exist or was I hallucinating?

--
Slacker

J A Stein makes a chainless chain whip-type tool:
http://www.jastein.com/Tools_for_Wheels.htm

On mine it says Hyper Handle, but as you can see, the web site calls it
a Hyperglide Lockring Tool. YOu still need a lockring remover, so I do
what the mechanic you saw most likely does- I use A Park Chain Whip
(SR-1) to turn the lockring removal tool. I use the back end of the
chain whip, which is specifically designed to fit lockring removal
tools. In the years I have owned these two tools, I have never actually
used the chain whip.

Miles

Old November 14th 03, 07:40 PM
Michael Paul

"miles todd" wrote in message

I have never actually used the chain whip.

Miles

noy for the intended purpose anyway...............:-)

Michael

Old November 15th 03, 12:44 AM
miles todd

Michael Paul wrote:
"miles todd" wrote in message

I have never actually used the chain whip.

Miles

noy for the intended purpose anyway...............:-)

Michael

Two words for you, Michael: Type Better.
Two other words: Spell Check.
Two more words: It's Getting Annoying (OK, OK, that was three words)

Miles

Old November 15th 03, 01:33 AM
Michael Dart

"miles todd" wrote in message
. ..

Michael Paul wrote:
"miles todd" wrote in message

I have never actually used the chain whip.

Miles

noy for the intended purpose anyway...............:-)

Michael

Two words for you, Michael: Type Better.
Two other words: Spell Check.
Two more words: It's Getting Annoying (OK, OK, that was three words)

Six words: He was only one key off.

Mike - I'll give points for funny too. ;^)

Old November 15th 03, 02:02 AM
Michael Paul

"Michael Dart" wrote in message

"miles todd" wrote in message
. ..

Michael Paul wrote:
"miles todd" wrote in message

I have never actually used the chain whip.

Miles

noy for the intended purpose anyway...............:-)

Michael

Two words for you, Michael: Type Better.
Two other words: Spell Check.
Two more words: It's Getting Annoying (OK, OK, that was three words)

Six words: He was only one key off.

Mike - I'll give points for funny too. ;^)

hehehe, yeah, I just talked with Miles about that one and for the life of me
I can't figure out why I used a y instead of a t. Cripes, it's not even the
correct hand! funny thing is, I was killing time the other day playing a
stupid typing game on Yahoo and I was kicking ass!

Oh well, I vow to be more careful in my typing skills. Especially since I
just figured out that Outlook express has a spell checker! Who'd ever have
thought that? I've only been using the damn program for 2 years and just
now figured out it has one!

Michael - needs all the points he can get 'cuz he ain't got much else to
count on!