Shimano cartridge bb installation - How to?

Old July 19th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Shimano cartridge bb installation - How to?

Hello there.

Yesterday I was at a sport store here in town that is getting out of
the bicycling aspect.

They are clearing everything out at 50% off.

I bought a Shimano UN 53 113x68 bottom bracket.

I have never installed a cartridge bb before. I do have access to the
tool required.

What is the best method of installing and/or setting this up?

Will my Sugino MP 110 cranks work with this okay? If not will my Sugino
1GC work? Both these are straight arm cranks which I far prefer over
the bent arm cranks.

Thanks once again for your help.

Peter

Old July 19th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hello there.

Yesterday I was at a sport store here in town that is getting out of
the bicycling aspect.

They are clearing everything out at 50% off.

I bought a Shimano UN 53 113x68 bottom bracket.

I have never installed a cartridge bb before. I do have access to the
tool required.

What is the best method of installing and/or setting this up?

Reading material:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=94

Old July 20th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hello there.

Yesterday I was at a sport store here in town that is getting out of
the bicycling aspect.

They are clearing everything out at 50% off.

I bought a Shimano UN 53 113x68 bottom bracket.

I have never installed a cartridge bb before. I do have access to the
tool required.

What is the best method of installing and/or setting this up?

The directions inside the box are pretty good for Big S BBs. Just follow
them and you'll be fine.

Will my Sugino MP 110 cranks work with this okay? If not will my
Sugino 1GC work? Both these are straight arm cranks which I far
prefer over the bent arm cranks.

Thanks once again for your help.

AFAIK, only way to tell is to try them -- unless you still have the
directions that came with the cranks? If so, they should tell you what
size/spec/type of BB to use.

Happy Cranking... Bill S.