bar-end shifters

Old January 6th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Default bar-end shifters

Johnny Sunset wrote:
Ted Bennett wrote:

I, for one, would hate to see bar-end shifters to go the way of the
dodo. While not quite as slick as brifters (you do have to move your
hand to shift)....

I use my thumbs to move the bar-end levers without moving my hands.

I've used my water bottle to move the bar-end levers on occasion.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Now is the time for all good men to come to.
-- Walt Kelly
Old January 6th 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Jim wrote:

Is the 520 the only modern bicycle equipped with bar-end shifters?

Greenspeed trikes are not exactly bicycles, but they come with bar-end
shifters.

www.greenspeed.com.au

Old January 6th 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Benjamin Lewis wrote in
:

Johnny Sunset wrote:
Ted Bennett wrote:

I, for one, would hate to see bar-end shifters to go the way of the
dodo. While not quite as slick as brifters (you do have to move your
hand to shift)....

I use my thumbs to move the bar-end levers without moving my hands.

I've used my water bottle to move the bar-end levers on occasion.

I've used my knee to shift my bar-ends a few times. Only once or twice was
it on purpose. That said, it was not while actually riding, it was walking
it over a curb.

I have friction bar-ends (Rivendell's excellent ones based on Superbe Pro
DTs) on one bike and Ergos on another, and I like both just fine. I say
that as someone who hates DT shifters. I'm surprised how much I still like
the friction ones after getting indexing on all my other bikes.
Old January 6th 06, 09:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Jim wrote:
Hello there,

I was reading the Trek Web site, and found the 520 comes with bar-end
shifters.
What benefits do the Shimano Dura-Ace bar-end shifters offer, compared
with
modern integrated shifters?

among all the other excellent reasons:
you can shift gears without dropping your sandwich
you can shift with frozen fingers
Ergopower in rollercoaster hills gives me RSI
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old January 6th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

I have bar end shifters that are mounted just below the brake hoods
(sticking up)on a customized Paul's Thumbie mount. Shifting from the
hoods or the drops is easy and quick... though not as good as it could
be with a mount designed for this purpose. Before brifters were popular
(1989) I mounted an MTB thumb shifter in the same location and it was
nearly ideal... much shorter throw than the barends. I wish these were
still available.

I think the barends will be with us for a few years at least... they
are used on all those TT and Tri bikes.

Old January 6th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

I use my thumbs to move the bar-end levers without moving my hands.

Good God, how? By delivering a precisely tuned kung fu tap to the bar,
which moves the shifter?

Or did you mean your pinkies?

Old January 6th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

My bank wouldn't give me a loan when they found out I was using STI.
Also, once I was harassed by a cop and I started to cry when he
mockingly couldn't find the bar-end shifters on my drop bars. It was a
horrible experience, much like being fondled, when I was forced to
point to (and touch and work and lick) my Tiagra brifters.

Old January 6th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Aeek wrote:

If you are on the drops you have to move your hands as much for brifters
as for bar-ends.

That must depend on where you grip the drops. I find I literally don't move
my hand at all. I just extend a finger and push one of the levers. Using
brifters from the drops seems to require the mimimum hand movement possible.

--
Paul Turner

Old January 6th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello there,

I was reading the Trek Web site, and found the 520 comes with bar-end
shifters.
What benefits do the Shimano Dura-Ace bar-end shifters offer, compared
with
modern integrated shifters? Is the 520 the only modern bicycle equipped
with
bar-end shifters?

Thanks in advance.

-Jim

For a touring bike it makes very little difference what position on your
bike you change gear from as long as the gear selects efficiently . It is
The law of diminishing returns you pay a lot of money for a very little
return . So to answer your question the benefits for touring are nil.
The problem is all your mates could have integrated shifters and they will
tell you how fantastic they are so you may end up wanting to change . The
doubt is already in your mind about not having the integrated shifters.I
personally would prefer the barcons.

PK

Old January 6th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Johnny Sunset wrote:
Ted Bennett wrote:

I, for one, would hate to see bar-end shifters to go the way of the
dodo. While not quite as slick as brifters (you do have to move your
hand to shift)....

I use my thumbs to move the bar-end levers without moving my hands.

When I had a broken hand, I could not shift brifters, but could shift
bar-cons using the heal of my hand.

- rick