How to **** Off an Arrogant Pedalcyclist

Old May 15th 05, 02:49 PM
Dan

Joe Canuck wrote:

I often encounter pedestrians on bike paths, not unusual here since we
share them. However, these pedestrians insist on walking towards the
oncoming bike/pedestrian traffic in whatever lane they happen to be in.
I figure their logic is they want to see what is coming and would rather
not be approached from the rear by a fast moving bike. When the path is
not busy this is no big deal, but it can create quite the obstacle
course when the path is busy.

Even worse, sometimes these pedestrians meet someone they know and stop
for an extended chat in one or both lanes of the path effectively
creating an obstacle... rather than moving off to the side. Then there
are those mixed standing-still groups of pedestrians and cyclists having
a chat on the path.

Are these the same folks who stop in the middle of the freeway at night
with no lights on in their vehicles?

Joe-Yeah, I see that too, reminds me of the aisle blocking head-up-a**
behavior seen in supermarkets. Anytime I'm riding & I see one group of
walkers about to pass another going in the opposite direction & me
coming up fast from behind, I know it's going to get interesting. A
person on foot can make a 3 foot lateral move quickly & stably with one
step (hopefully in the correct direction, definitely not a given!); even
going slowly it takes a bike several yards to do this, particularly if
the rider is forced off the trail into the grass. I actually bumped
into a woman the other day this way when she walked right into me,
looking directly at me the whole time. Fortunately by that point I was
barely moving (wobbling, really). I generally make several loops of
this trail system on a ride & therefore will pass the same individuals a
number of times on a given trip. What kills me is that one near miss at
15 mph is not enough to get it through their thick skulls that they are
not the only humans on the planet.

Dan
Old May 15th 05, 03:03 PM
GaryG

"Dan" wrote in message
Joe Canuck wrote:

[...]

Moron...if you're threading through groups of peds while "coming up fast
from behind", you're the one with the problem. Try removing the training
wheels from your bike, and ride where bikes belong - in the street. If
you're bumping into peds on a MUP, you're a dangerous idiot.

GG

GG

Old May 15th 05, 03:20 PM
Joe Canuck

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

On 15 May 2005 00:50:14 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

Adult cyclists should almost never ride on sidewalks but having said
that what pedestrians is this particular pair endangering, the
photographer? If so, that cameraman must have amazing reflexes to be
able to narrowly escape being run over and still be able to whip out
his trusty camera in time to capture that photograph as the pair...
ummmm... "sped" away.

Actually, the camera was already out, taking pictures of the
landscaping in the right hand side of the photograph (I can post the
others if you'd like). My wife saw an unusual type of plant which she
thought might look good in our back yard, so I took some pictures of
it for her. Then these two chumps brushed by on their bicycles, so I
snapped them, too.

The sidewalk is for walking, not for creating an obstacle by using it as
a platform for taking pictures or chatting on the cell phone.

Want to chat on the phone or take pictures, move off to the side.

Old May 15th 05, 03:31 PM

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:

OBTW, in what way is it "trolling" to relate a TRUE STORY about my
experience with arrogant, sidewalk-riding pedalcyclists? Is it
"trolling" when I tell about the times some asshole in an SUV
practically ran me off the road when I was riding my bike?

Based on your past performance, I'd say anything _you_ post is a troll
unless ruled otherwise by a unanimous Supreme Court decision.

But that's just my opinion. Have a nice day, Scott. ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 15th 05, 03:41 PM
Bill Sornson

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
On 15 May 2005 00:50:14 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

Adult cyclists should almost never ride on sidewalks but having said
that what pedestrians is this particular pair endangering, the
photographer? If so, that cameraman must have amazing reflexes to be
able to narrowly escape being run over and still be able to whip out
his trusty camera in time to capture that photograph as the pair...
ummmm... "sped" away.

Actually, the camera was already out, taking pictures of the
landscaping in the right hand side of the photograph (I can post the
others if you'd like). My wife saw an unusual type of plant which she
thought might look good in our back yard, so I took some pictures of
it for her. Then these two chumps brushed by on their bicycles, so I
snapped them, too.

I'm guessing it's really hard to get past your wife on an airport runway,
much less a wide sidewalk.

STOP HOGGING THE PATHWAY WITH YOUR SIDE-BY-SIDE WADDLING!!!

Old May 15th 05, 03:52 PM
Joe Canuck

From: Scott en Aztlán
Newsgroups: rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: How to **** Off an Arrogant Pedalcyclist
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 16:15:55 -0700

My wife and I went for a walk this afternoon. The sidewalk was very
narrow - only wide enough for my wife and I to walk side by side. As
we walked, our son (who is away at college) called, so she took the
call and was talking to him, not really paying attention to what was
ahead. Presently, an older gentleman riding a bicycle approached from
ahead of us. When he saw that my wife wasn't paying attention (and
thus was not going to step aside to let him ride past) he came to a
stop, then stood there glaring at us. As we passed by, he very
petulantly began to ring his little thumb-bell repeatedly, as if to
express his outrage that we didn't get out of his way. I turned to him
and said "use the bike lane, ****head." Then we walked on, shaking our
heads in disbelief.

Why do supposedly mature adults think it's OK to ride their bikes on
the sidewalk? Here's another couple we saw today on our walk:

http://tinypic.com/539poy

There's a perfectly good bike lane (or shoulder, as Brent likes to
call them) not five feet from these lard-asses, yet they feel the need
to endanger pedestrians on the sidewalk. Why?!?!?!?

People like these give good, courteous, law-abiding pedalcyclists a
bad name.

--
Life is short - drive fast!
http://www.geocities.com/scottenaztlan/

Saved for the archives due to the "X-No-Archive: yes" in original post.
Old May 15th 05, 03:55 PM
Dan

GaryG wrote:

Moron...if you're threading through groups of peds while "coming up fast
from behind", you're the one with the problem. Try removing the training
wheels from your bike, and ride where bikes belong - in the street. If
you're bumping into peds on a MUP, you're a dangerous idiot.

GG

GG

My my my, what a nasty temper you have there. And such a big mouth. Do
you talk this way to people face to face? I doubt you have the guts,
little man. When you're not indulging your ugly, frustrated personality
on with insulting ng posts, how do you usually express it, beating your
wife & kids, perhaps? What am I saying, that would imply you actually
have human contact outside of your usenet outbursts. The incident in
question occurred on a designated BIKE path. And apparently you missed
the part about how the woman walked into ME when I was traveling at a
walking pace. I'll agree with the OP on this thread with regards to
"responding in kind"; Go to hell, asshole.

Dan
Old May 15th 05, 03:57 PM
Scott Ehardt

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote in message
I turned to him
and said "use the bike lane, ****head." Then we walked on, shaking our
heads in disbelief.

Why do supposedly mature adults think it's OK to ride their bikes on
the sidewalk?

Why do supposedly mature adults think it's OK to say things like, "use the
bike lane, ****head"?

However, I do agree that not enough cyclists realize the need to be in the
street - Yesterday while I was out riding I saw a cyclist barreling along on
the sidewalk going against traffic. He came to an intersection, cut off an
unsuspecting driver making a right turn, got honked at, and proceeded to
stand over his bike performing a one-fingered salute as the car drove off.

Even my computer has better manners! :-)
Not In Dictionary: ****head
Change To: hothead

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

Old May 15th 05, 04:09 PM
Joe Canuck

Ok, I'm outa this one.

Scottie started yet another flame war.

Let the cycling community drop this one and take the high road.

Old May 15th 05, 04:25 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:56:14 -0400, "WeatherGuy"
wrote:

This behaviour by the cyclist was unacceptable. The "****head" was
unacceptable as well. There are times when it is necessary for safety
reasons to ride on a sidewalk

Riding a bicycle on the sidewalk is against California law. There are
no exceptions for "safety reasons."

Yet police are not shy about inviting children to ride on the sidewalk on
some routes close to schools to keep them out of danger. I've seen it done
in person in my little town. In a Palo Alto there are many road signs in
similar neighborhoods that say "Bicyclist may use sidewalks". I expect these
are directed at the younger riders.

Last time I took my 10 year old daughter on a 10 mile odyssey I had pulled
out my beater hybrid and she was on her mountain bike and we were heading
along at a decent pace on the local MUP, slowing to carefully pass
pedistrians when two guys on road bikes in full kits screamed by us. She
was very surprised (I saw them coming in my mirror.) I explained that
apparently they were very lost.