Fla. 8-Year-Old Gets Traffic Ticket For Bike Mishap (irresponsible idiot parents refuse to pay)

Old October 25th 03, 03:20 AM
Scott Munro

Default Fla. 8-Year-Old Gets Traffic Ticket For Bike Mishap (irresponsible idiot parents refuse to pay)

http://www.local6.com/news/2580655/detail.html

"I'm going to not pay this ticket, and Scott's definitely not going to
pay it," said Danielle McIntosh, the boy's mother. She added the only
money her son has is the allowance he has been saving for a
battery-operated miniature truck.

"He's an 8-year-old child. He does not understand what the right of
way is," She said.
-----
Gee, I wonder why this kid rides his bike in such an unsafe manner?

--
Conservatism is the ideology of reality.
Old October 25th 03, 05:52 AM
Mike Kruger

"Scott Munro" wrote in message
http://www.local6.com/news/2580655/detail.html

"I'm going to not pay this ticket, and Scott's definitely not going to
pay it," said Danielle McIntosh, the boy's mother. She added the only
money her son has is the allowance he has been saving for a
battery-operated miniature truck.

"He's an 8-year-old child. He does not understand what the right of
way is," She said.
-----
Gee, I wonder why this kid rides his bike in such an unsafe manner?

The parents are dunderheads.
They should thank the appropriate diety that their son is alive today, and
thank the cop for caring.
At 8, Scott is not too young to learn that behavior has consequencies, and
should pony up his truck money as a way of learning a lesson.
--
reply address: MikeKr at AOL dot COM

Old October 25th 03, 07:58 AM
Hunrobe

Scott Munro

wrote in part:
http://www.local6.com/news/2580655/detail.html

"I'm going to not pay this ticket, and Scott's definitely not going to
pay it," said Danielle McIntosh, the boy's mother.

It rarely happens but here in Illinois if a child is fined by a judge the
parents are held responsible for payment. Even if the original charge is a
non-jailable offense a parent's refusal to pay (as opposed to inability to pay)
can result in a contempt citation and contempt of court *is* jailable. I doubt
it would happen but it could be interesting.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old October 25th 03, 11:12 AM
Arpit

here if hes under 10 its his parents responsibility

Old October 25th 03, 12:32 PM
Arthur Harris

"Hunrobe" wrote:

It rarely happens but here in Illinois if a child is fined by a judge the
parents are held responsible for payment. Even if the original charge is a
non-jailable offense a parent's refusal to pay (as opposed to inability to

pay)
can result in a contempt citation and contempt of court *is* jailable. I

doubt
it would happen but it could be interesting.

In some states, parents are only responsible for the "willful misconduct" of
their kids. If the kid didn't deliberately cause the damge, they're off the
hook. (I learned that from watching Judge Wapner on "The Peoples Court.")

Personally, I think the kid and/or parents should face some consequences.

Art Harris

Old October 25th 03, 04:04 PM
Lars S. Mulford

Howdy folks!

I've been a lurker on here for some time, and I've got to chime in here. I
absolutely agree with Art in that the parents should face some consequences.
I noted in the writeup that the boy had no helmet on. An 8yr old out riding
a BMX type bike, jumping dirt berms and stuff, and no helmet? That is
inexcusable on the part of the PARENTS to NOT enforce wearing a helmet. To
me, it shows irresponsibility. That kind of laziness may indeed have helped
foster the scenario by which this young boy encountered the 2001 Nissan.

All parties are damned lucky that the boy wasn't hurt, especially if he
really was thrown off the bike. Did anyone else note that the boy indicated
after the "incident" occurred, that he bolted the scene? Why?

I've got two daughters, and from day one since they began riding bikes, they
associated helmet wearing with riding. Now when they ride, they don't even
think about it. The helmet gets strapped on and THEN they ride... ...just
like when we're out on the sailboat, the life preservers go on BEFORE we get
underway.

The parents hold responsibility here. Pay the damned ticket and consider
yourselves lucky. When it comes to incidents like this in biking, it is
nothign short of divine providence that you get a second chance to
reevaluate your position and make changes for the better.

--
"Sea" ya!
--Lars S. Mulford

"Arthur Harris" wrote in message
et...

Old October 25th 03, 04:41 PM
Johann S.

Arpit Said:

"He's an 8-year-old child. He does not understand what the right of
way is," She said.
-----
Gee, I wonder why this kid rides his bike in such an unsafe manner?

You Americans are crazy. (Probably the whole damn world is.) Where are
the days where a kid could just ride his bike and have fun without
worrying about helmets and **** like that? Maybe it's too crowded over
there.

When I was a kid, there wasn't any such thing as helmets, and I jumped
my BMX over many a dirt heap, sometimes over a dirt heap and into the
neighbours well manicured flowerbed. That was fun, but the neighbour
didn't think so.

Had some close encounters with cars too, but those were mostly in my
skateboard days. (no helmet either).

Anyway, I'm very glad I'm not a kid today, and especially in the US
(it seems). Must be pretty boring. Maybe I would have decided to stuff
all these rules, and just play playstation. It's much more
fun than driving miss daisy with a bloody helmet on.

PS: I have nothing against helmets, I even own one. (Don't wear it
very often though) My point is with all the rules and regulations
these days, it must be boring to be a kid.

--

QUIPd 1.02: (293 of 665)
- A wise man never blows his knows.
Old October 25th 03, 05:02 PM
Rich Clark

"Johann S." wrote in message

PS: I have nothing against helmets, I even own one. (Don't wear it
very often though) My point is with all the rules and regulations
these days, it must be boring to be a kid.

Not as boring as being dead.

RichC

Old October 25th 03, 06:14 PM
Johann S.

Rich Clark Said:

"Johann S." wrote in message

PS: I have nothing against helmets, I even own one. (Don't wear it
very often though) My point is with all the rules and regulations
these days, it must be boring to be a kid.

Not as boring as being dead.

That is true, although I am not convinced of the truth of that, but
still, a pity that children cannot be children anymore. That is why me
and the wife decided not to have kids.

Anyway, This is OT, so I'll shut up now.

--

QUIPd 1.02: (550 of 666)
- The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put
Old October 25th 03, 07:02 PM
sbirn

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:41:22 +0200, Johann S. wrote:
Anyway, I'm very glad I'm not a kid today, and especially in the US
(it seems). Must be pretty boring. Maybe I would have decided to stuff
all these rules, and just play playstation. It's much more

I have nothing against kids being kids...but if you hit a car and damage
it, then you own up to what you did. If you want to jump off dirt into
the street, it's your call. But if you kill someone or get killed, just
remember that it's your fault and not theirs.