Only cyclists break the law.

Old March 28th 19, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Only cyclists break the law.

On 28/03/2019 06:01, Ian Smith wrote:
On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 00:04:17 +0000, TMS320 wrote:

A gripe I have is that I *don't* want speed camera warnings, even when I
am driving my own car. They are easily visible and rarely placed where
the speed is not intuitive. I can't find any means in Google to turn
them off (and it isn't intelligent enough to only warn when the limit is
being broken).

Agreed. I find googles bleating about cameras annoying too.

It also irritates me when a passenger with local knowledge "warns" of a
speed camera. Oh, does it contain a bazooka?
Old March 28th 19, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 12:04:19 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
On 27/03/2019 13:44, GB wrote:

I've got an Android 7 phone that does include GPS. Unfortunately, I'm
far, far too mean to pay for mobile data, and I haven't found a decent
sat nav programme that allows downloading maps in advance.

Can I ask what people here use, and what they think of it, please?
Obviously, it's off topic to ask this on a cycling NG, but it makes a
change from bickering about whether cycling is a good thing or not.

Sat navs often seem to find stupid routes, leaving sign posted main
roads to go down narrow country lanes just because it has determined it
to be 3 inches shorter.

Just change it to calculate the *fastest* route instead of the *shortest* route instead.
Old March 28th 19, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 27/03/2019 13:44, GB wrote:
On 27/03/2019 13:32, MrCheerful wrote:
On 27/03/2019 13:20, GB wrote:
On 27/03/2019 12:21, soup wrote:
On 25/03/2019 17:31, Simon Jester wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/...cid=spartanntp

I really cannot fathom how anyone gets caught by these cameras they
are painted bright yellowy/orange some are painted with
yellowy/orange and black stripes, they are also VERY signposted .
Â*Â* Camera vans and mobile police guns I can sort of see but fixed
cameras should not catch anyone.Â* Even my car (A [just
about]poverty-spec Yaris) beeps at you for fixed cameras .

My car does not have a sat nav, and I am afraid that I just use paper
maps. Dickensian, I know.

As far as obeying speed limits is concerned, I watch out for those
round signs with numbers on. Something that reminded me if I
inadvertently exceeded the limit would be good, though.

most vaguely modern phones or tablets can do that for you.

I've got an Android 7 phone that does include GPS. Unfortunately, I'm
far, far too mean to pay for mobile data, and I haven't found a decent
sat nav programme that allows downloading maps in advance.

Can I ask what people here use, and what they think of it, please?
Obviously, it's off topic to ask this on a cycling NG, but it makes a
change from bickering about whether cycling is a good thing or not.

I got a £6 a month sim with 1500 mins, unlimited texts and 1.5gb of data
(I never use anywhere near that amount of data, even with co-pilot live
traffic running and some internet use), so really cost is no longer a
major problem. Many people are too inert to look into cheaper deals.
Old March 28th 19, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 13:44:14 +0000
GB wrote:

I've got an Android 7 phone that does include GPS. Unfortunately, I'm
far, far too mean to pay for mobile data, and I haven't found a
decent sat nav programme that allows downloading maps in advance.

Can I ask what people here use, and what they think of it, please?
Obviously, it's off topic to ask this on a cycling NG, but it makes a
change from bickering about whether cycling is a good thing or not.

I've used "HERE WeGo" and Navmii (both free) in the past, before
friend's dad gave me his old TomTom. Both performed pretty well
considering the old low-spec Android devices I have; I would run one
on my tablet and the other on my phone in case one glitched, which did
happen sometimes - Navmii would occasionally send me in circles when
getting close to a destination, but regained sanity after restarting.
That was a while back, and probably just a bug with a particular
release, or might have been the GPS in my tablet glitching - I've since
done a factory reset and it seems to be behaving OK, but I've not been
using it as much.

Old March 28th 19, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

TMS320 wrote:

Sat navs often seem to find stupid routes, leaving sign posted main
roads to go down narrow country lanes just because it has determined
it to be 3 inches shorter.

A sat nav will often have the option to choose between easiest,
shortest and fastest routes - you'd probably want to choose easiest.

Old March 28th 19, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 28/03/2019 17:16, Rob Morley wrote:
TMS320 wrote:

Sat navs often seem to find stupid routes, leaving sign posted main
roads to go down narrow country lanes just because it has determined
it to be 3 inches shorter.

A sat nav will often have the option to choose between easiest,
shortest and fastest routes - you'd probably want to choose easiest.

I have already replied to another poster's advice about that. They don't
work.
Old April 2nd 19, 02:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 27/03/2019 13:20, GB wrote:
On 27/03/2019 12:21, soup wrote:
[...]

???

Mobile data now comes as part of the service provided by most telephony
companies.

For example, a £7.50 a month subscription with GiffGaff gives you 3Gb a
month, more than enough to let you use a phone asa satnav.

Can I ask what people here use, and what they think of it, please?
Obviously, it's off topic to ask this on a cycling NG, but it makes a
change from bickering about whether cycling is a good thing or not.

See above. I also have a USA Garmin Drive and a cheap sat nav with
all-Europe, bought for about £18 (new) on eBay UK. Of course, it
currently costs the same to use your phone as a sat nav in most of
Europe as it does to use it in the UK. The USA is a different matter:
data is expensive on a UK phone. Best to buy a 3 card with 7 Gb of data
available within a month for £15 and free calls back to the UK.
Old April 2nd 19, 02:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 28/03/2019 08:38, TMS320 wrote:
On 28/03/2019 06:01, Ian Smith wrote:
On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 00:04:17 +0000, TMS320 wrote:

Â* A gripe I have is that I *don't* want speed camera warnings, even
when I
Â* am driving my own car. They are easily visible and rarely placed where
Â* the speed is not intuitive. I can't find any means in Google to turn
Â* them off (and it isn't intelligent enough to only warn when the
limit is
Â* being broken).

Agreed.Â* I find googles bleating about cameras annoying too.

It also irritates me when a passenger with local knowledge "warns" of a
speed camera. Oh, does it contain a bazooka?

"I've just been flashed by that speed camera!"

"Yes, a lot of people get caught out by that one."

"You mean you knew about it and didn't warn me?"

Old April 2nd 19, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 02/04/2019 02:07, JNugent wrote:
On 28/03/2019 08:38, TMS320 wrote:
On 28/03/2019 06:01, Ian Smith wrote:
On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 00:04:17 +0000, TMS320 wrote:

Â* A gripe I have is that I *don't* want speed camera warnings, even
when I
Â* am driving my own car. They are easily visible and rarely placed
where
Â* the speed is not intuitive. I can't find any means in Google to turn
Â* them off (and it isn't intelligent enough to only warn when the
limit is
Â* being broken).

Agreed.Â* I find googles bleating about cameras annoying too.

It also irritates me when a passenger with local knowledge "warns" of
a speed camera. Oh, does it contain a bazooka?

"I've just been flashed by that speed camera!"

"Yes, a lot of people get caught out by that one."

"You mean you knew about it and didn't warn me?"

"Careful. There's a speed camera ahead."
"Why do I need to take any more care than usual?"
"A lot of people get caught out by that one."
"Then they're poor drivers and they don't get my sympathy."