Does anyone know good thorn-resistant tubes?

Old May 6th 20, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Does anyone know good thorn-resistant tubes?

On 2020-05-02 19:10, sms wrote:
On 4/30/2020 3:03 PM, Joerg wrote:
Just had a Kenda thorn-resistant tube fail. It lost pressure suddenly
and overnight without being ridden the day before. It started to split
along a factory seam. This seems to happen ever since they started
making them less than the usual 3mm thick towards the rim.

Does anyone know who still makes the real stuff, 3mm thick all around?
Or maybe another good version thorn-resistant tube? I am running 700c
25mm tires with an additional tire liner in there. Might go to 28mm in
back some day.

The only time I ever lost 3mm all-around tubes was upon violent tire
blow-outs (sidewall failure).

Your problem is not with the tubes, it's with the tires. What you want
is Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS 440 11100766.01 700C x 25.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...0c-tire-hs-440

Fifty bucks a tire? No! I bet those don't last much past 2000mi either
and then that's too much money. If they'd last 5000mi it would be ok.

Marathons be they plus or not are famously durable, being touring tyres I
changed out the Marathon plus Touring at 8K they had just about worn
in, ie
barely detectable wear.

Interesting, thanks. Maybe I should try them. If they last 5000mi or
more they'd be worth the high price. I've never had any tire last that
long but maybe they found the magic rubber compound.

I swapped them out since I noticed that the ride was very harsh and that
nothing seem to penetrate the tread plenty of embedded shards etc,
Thus far
the Big Apples have done 4K with little sign of wear I’d expect to at
least
double that.

In fact, the blowouts were mostly with expensive brand name tires,
Continental Gatorskin. Never had one with Vee Rubber or Vittoria, so
far. I get between 1200mi and 2000mi out of these depending on where I
ride. Mostly less than 1500mi but at about $15 a pop that's ok.

... But beware that
the protection layer adds some height to the tire and it may not fit on
all road bicycles with caliper brakes.

Weight is the least of my concerns or no concern at all. I just want
stuff not to fail during rides. So all my bikes have tire liners plus
thorn-resistant tubes. The MTB has a regular tube around the tire liner
in addition. Rides like a tank, and no flats.

On the commute bike it’s not weight after all I’m lugging kit back and
fore, but it’s a more ride quality, which is twofold 1st much less harsh
ride particularly if loaded, 2nd bike is much more fun, on days can
even if
fully loaded have some fun.

Riding comfort and weight are the least of my concerns. I just want to
get there in time, meaning without a flat, and get a good number of
miles per dollar.

I've never been a spendthrift, but your obsession with pennies-per-mile
bike costs astounds me. I'm sympathetic to people who are terribly poor,
especially through no fault of their own. But you don't seem to be one
of them.

Are bike costs really that high a portion of your household budget? Are
you really living that close to bankruptcy?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 6th 20, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2020-05-03 15:28, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 2020-05-02 19:10, sms wrote:
[...]

I am not. I simply do not like to waste money. Or to put it another way,
the savings from my last tire order went to the local Food Bank. Those
guys need that money much more urgently right now than the shareholders
of some tire manufacturer.

Are bike costs really that high a portion of your household budget? Are
you really living that close to bankruptcy?

Nonsense.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 6th 20, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2020-05-03 15:28, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 2020-05-02 19:10, sms wrote:
[...]

Coincidentally, we made a pretty large donation to our local food bank a
couple weeks ago. Also to a couple other organizations that are in need.

But I don't mind buying tires.

Maybe a month ago, I needed to replace some handlebar tape. I hadn't
remembered that the price of that stuff had gotten up to $20. To me,
that does seem a bit exorbitant.

But I paid it without complaint, instead of wrapping the bars using old
inner tubes.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 6th 20, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2020-05-03 15:28, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 2020-05-02 19:10, sms wrote:
[...]

I find that Renfrew brand hockey tape works really well as a handlebar tape and looks a lot like the old school cloth tapes.

Cheers
Old May 6th 20, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

On 2020-05-03 15:28, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 2020-05-02 19:10, sms wrote:
[...]

Are different brands of hockey tape very different? I once tried using
hockey tape on handlebars and found it was poor substitute for actual
cotton bar tape. Maybe I bought the ghetto brand, can't remember what
it was.
Old May 6th 20, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2020-05-03 15:28, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 2020-05-02 19:10, sms wrote:
[...]

Next time, ask for the black tape the shop buys in bulk to
build new bikes. Usually 'distributor brand', not Cinelli
nor Deda, frequently half price of fashionable colors, brands.

Of course when you need pink tape, you need pink tape.
That's $20.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 6th 20, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default OK, I admit: [ Does anyone know good thorn-resistant tubes?]

On 5/3/2020 12:16 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/3/2020 12:03 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
sms wrote:
On 4/30/2020 3:03 PM, Joerg wrote:
Just had a Kenda thorn-resistant tube fail. It lost pressure suddenly
and overnight without being ridden the day before. It started to split
along a factory seam. This seems to happen ever since they started
making them less than the usual 3mm thick towards the rim.

Does anyone know who still makes the real stuff, 3mm thick all around?
Or maybe another good version thorn-resistant tube? I am running 700c
25mm tires with an additional tire liner in there. Might go to 28mm in
back some day.

The only time I ever lost 3mm all-around tubes was upon violent tire
blow-outs (sidewall failure).

Your problem is not with the tubes, it's with the tires. What you want
is Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS 440 11100766.01 700C x 25. But beware that
the protection layer adds some height to the tire and it may not fit on
all road bicycles with caliper brakes.

I’d tend to agree though as ever others choices is theirs alone and some
folks like to furrow their own path!

This said in terms of vs thorns I’ve not found the plus useful, as though
it is fairly thick 5mm or so it’s also quite soft so if something does
penetrate the tyre it can work it’s way down, though this was with
Hawthorn
which is a different shape ie long shard rather than well the Goats head,
which I’d assume would stop it from keeping going?

At which point for the Plain Marathon plus the depth of tread/tyre and
length of the Goats Head thorn is very close!

I’d thought that Marathon Plus Touring which I used for a year or so
would
be a better fit, much more tread and very robust tyres, huge service life
as well.

I did switch them out to BigApples as well the ride was appalling! And
bar
2x that I’d had Hawthorn after it had been shredded just manage to push
though. Everything else just ie thorns/glass/shards etc just embedded its
self in the tread harmlessly.

And thus far just over a year 4K miles or so barely any wear, I’ve picked
out the odd shard but nothing has made it though.

After reading here about the horrors of goat head thorns, I was very
worried before doing some rides or a tour out west. But we never had one
goat head flat.

I know my bicycling life is charmed (um, knock wood; or give thanks to
La Madonna del Ghisallo and St. Christopher).

But I wonder if I was just lucky, or if I was not riding in goat head
areas, or if my lack of flats was due to my tendency to ride away from
the road's edge.

Car tires do sweep roads clean.

Notes on how the universe works:

I mentioned above that I get very few flat tires.

Well.

My wife and I just got back from a grocery run. I was pretty heavily
laden. It was a bit of a challenge to fit everything in my panniers, on
top of my rear rack, etc.

Halfway home I noticed my rear tire was low. I was able to pump it up
once and make it the rest of the way without changing the tube, so
that's at least some luck. And I don't know yet if it's a bit of glass,
or maybe a pinch flat due partly to the load.

But the lesson remains: Don't taunt the puncture gods!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 6th 20, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

On 2020-05-03 15:28, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 2020-05-02 19:10, sms wrote:
[...]

Well it’s a harder compound as you’d expect from a Touring tyre, Big Apples
have similar, mine are on a old MTB though I have used the 25mm form, which
where fine though like but more so than Conti Gattorskins skittish on wet
tarmac due to the hard compound, it’s fine on the MTB as 2inch at 40psi it
holds wet road and even metal work etc fine, not up to the lovely 2.4 inch
stuff on the full suspension that will cling on, off camber wet slate and
what not, but good enough!

[...]

I got fed up with the bike riding like a pig, and I clock up a fair few
miles 100+ per week so not being battered is a huge gain for me. And
they’re not particularly expensive and seem to last I think I’m up to 4K
now? With a few war wounds but little wear.

Roger Merriman

Old May 7th 20, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

sms wrote:
[...]

There's that. And goes both ways.

The Europeans were not much bothered by yaws, but the New
World variant remains troublesome to this day

Old May 7th 20, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/6/2020 7:27 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/6/2020 4:44 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Notes on how the universe works:

I mentioned above that I get very few flat tires.

Well.

My wife and I just got back from a grocery run. I was pretty
heavily laden. It was a bit of a challenge to fit everything
in my panniers, on top of my rear rack, etc.

Halfway home I noticed my rear tire was low. I was able to
pump it up once and make it the rest of the way without
changing the tube, so that's at least some luck. And I don't
know yet if it's a bit of glass, or maybe a pinch flat due
partly to the load.

But the lesson remains: Don't taunt the puncture gods!

There's that.* And goes both ways.

The Europeans were not much bothered by yaws, but the New World variant
remains troublesome to this day

Andrew, I think you attached that to the wrong thread.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Changing presta tubes on flat resistant tires catzz66[_2_] Techniques 23 July 30th 09 07:05 PM
self sealing tubes HD commuting touring tubes patch glue knee how ma [email protected] Techniques 5 February 8th 06 02:37 AM
Slime tubes - any good? POHB UK 3 September 12th 05 05:36 PM
Puncture resistant tyre tubes Cicero UK 18 February 5th 04 11:07 AM
Latex tubes , Hold air longer and puncture resistant??? Robert Box Techniques 20 September 24th 03 04:05 PM