Flight Deck woefully obsolete?

Old April 18th 20, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

Default Flight Deck woefully obsolete?

Good afternoon,

I was de-mothballing my bikes and such today and went to put a new battery in the computers. One (an old Sigma) went fine, the other, a Flight Deck, I noticed when I removed it the battery cover was missing a chip out of it. When I removed it, another piece came off. It doesn't seem to be making good contact anymore or powering up.

Looking around, it appears that Shimano doesn't even remember making these anymore? I guess that little guy is just done for?

thanks!
Old April 18th 20, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 12:36:17 PM UTC-7, N8N wrote:
Good afternoon,

I was de-mothballing my bikes and such today and went to put a new battery in the computers. One (an old Sigma) went fine, the other, a Flight Deck, I noticed when I removed it the battery cover was missing a chip out of it. When I removed it, another piece came off. It doesn't seem to be making good contact anymore or powering up.

Looking around, it appears that Shimano doesn't even remember making these anymore? I guess that little guy is just done for?

thanks!

You can always fined OE stuff on eBay, but yes, Shimano stopped making it. I don't know why they started making it in the first place.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 18th 20, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 4:10:35 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 12:36:17 PM UTC-7, N8N wrote:
Good afternoon,

I was de-mothballing my bikes and such today and went to put a new battery in the computers. One (an old Sigma) went fine, the other, a Flight Deck, I noticed when I removed it the battery cover was missing a chip out of it. When I removed it, another piece came off. It doesn't seem to be making good contact anymore or powering up.

Looking around, it appears that Shimano doesn't even remember making these anymore? I guess that little guy is just done for?

thanks!

You can always fined OE stuff on eBay, but yes, Shimano stopped making it.. I don't know why they started making it in the first place.

-- Jay Beattie.

It was kind of gimmicky, but it seemed like a fun toy to play with at the time with the shifter integration. I do remember setting it up was kind of a pain whereas putting a second sensor on for cadence made a lot more sense..
Old April 18th 20, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/18/2020 2:36 PM, N8N wrote:
Good afternoon,

I was de-mothballing my bikes and such today and went to put a new battery in the computers. One (an old Sigma) went fine, the other, a Flight Deck, I noticed when I removed it the battery cover was missing a chip out of it. When I removed it, another piece came off. It doesn't seem to be making good contact anymore or powering up.

Looking around, it appears that Shimano doesn't even remember making these anymore? I guess that little guy is just done for?

thanks!

Welcome back!

You're right. For electronics, even more than for hardware,
'The crap we sold you last year is no good. Here's the new one.'

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 18th 20, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/18/2020 3:10 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 12:36:17 PM UTC-7, N8N wrote:
Good afternoon,

I was de-mothballing my bikes and such today and went to put a new battery in the computers. One (an old Sigma) went fine, the other, a Flight Deck, I noticed when I removed it the battery cover was missing a chip out of it. When I removed it, another piece came off. It doesn't seem to be making good contact anymore or powering up.

Looking around, it appears that Shimano doesn't even remember making these anymore? I guess that little guy is just done for?

thanks!

You can always fined OE stuff on eBay, but yes, Shimano stopped making it. I don't know why they started making it in the first place.

-- Jay Beattie.

Their computer-integrated-into-quill-stem of 1981 should
have given them a clue. But, no.

Old April 18th 20, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 11:00:39 PM UTC+2, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I had a quill stem with a cateye computer integrated, it was around 1985 if I remember correctly. I loved that one.

Lou
Old April 18th 20, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/18/2020 4:41 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/18/2020 2:36 PM, N8N wrote:
Good afternoon,

I was de-mothballing my bikes and such today and went to put a new
battery in the computers.Â* One (an old Sigma) went fine, the other, a
Flight Deck, I noticed when I removed it the battery cover was missing
a chip out of it.Â* When I removed it, another piece came off.Â* It
doesn't seem to be making good contact anymore or powering up.

Looking around, it appears that Shimano doesn't even remember making
these anymore?Â* I guess that little guy is just done for?

thanks!

Welcome back!

You're right. For electronics, even more than for hardware, 'The crap we
sold you last year is no good. Here's the new one.'

With some stuff these days, it can get even weirder: "The operator
interface for the crap we sold you last year isn't sufficiently trendy,
so we downloaded a new one without your permission. Have fun learning it!"

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 19th 20, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Axel Reichert

jbeattie writes:

I don't know why they started making it in the first place.

I liked the feature of showing a (calculated) cadence even if I was not
pedalling while coasting downhill. It gave me a good hint of how many
cogs to shift to the right when reaching the bottom of the trough
between two hills.

Best regards

Axel
Old April 19th 20, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 7:33:16 AM UTC-4, Axel Reichert wrote:
jbeattie writes:

I don't know why they started making it in the first place.

I liked the feature of showing a (calculated) cadence even if I was not
pedalling while coasting downhill. It gave me a good hint of how many
cogs to shift to the right when reaching the bottom of the trough
between two hills.

Best regards

Axel

that actually makes sense, although fortunately (?) the Sigma is on the bike that I ride 95% of the time and the Flight Deck is on the bike that generally sits in the corner. Guess that's maybe why I never thought of using it that way.

nate
Old April 24th 20, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2020-04-18 12:36, N8N wrote:
Good afternoon,

I was de-mothballing my bikes and such today and went to put a new
battery in the computers. One (an old Sigma) went fine, the other, a
Flight Deck, I noticed when I removed it the battery cover was
missing a chip out of it. When I removed it, another piece came off.
It doesn't seem to be making good contact anymore or powering up.

Looking around, it appears that Shimano doesn't even remember making
these anymore? I guess that little guy is just done for?

thanks!

Duct tape, man, duct tape :-)

My handlebar had broken off right where the old Bell Dashboard 100 was,
causing a nasty crash. The old Bell went sailing and it's mount had
broken off. I later fashioned a nice piece of wood from a discarded
market umbrella, laid some old tube around the new handlebar and affixed
the wood with a 1/2" pipe strap and wood screws. The speedometer went on
top of that. This also holds the battery in place nicely.

This bike is almost guaranteed not to get stolen.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

What exactly is the Shimano C Deck / CI Deck / Flight deck??? Keiron[_3_] Techniques 2 May 11th 09 10:24 PM
how d'ya wake up a Flight Deck? Nate Nagel[_2_] Techniques 10 April 25th 08 12:58 AM
Flight Deck Question tlarwa Techniques 1 April 27th 05 11:00 PM
Flight Deck Bob Chambers Australia 1 December 17th 04 11:12 AM
Flight-deck compatibility ST-EF-29-7 ? Patrick E. King UK 4 August 3rd 04 12:06 PM