A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bicycles.

Old June 14th 21, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Bicycles.

I happen to be someone that likes bicycling. So much that I have bought, fixed up and given away bikes to many people over the years. Even to some Croatian kid who wanted a full suspension MTB. Unfortunately he used it to try and copy our stupid riders that are turning flips and permanently injured his hip. But I understand that he is the dealer for Rockshox now in Dubrovnik for the whole of Croatia so it appears that cycling has done him some good.

When I started cycling I was getting to be a physical wreck. My back hurt so badly that I was in a stoop most of the time and I had gout so bad that I was living on Aspirin which of course screwed up my stomach. Within two months of cycling all of that was gone and I haven't had any serious health problems aside from the concussion since.

Now that I'm in my mid 70's I can see the day when I won't be able to climb but I can't see the day when I won't ride. At such time I will trade off climbing for distance. But that is still a long way off.

I have to take medication twice a day because of that concussion and I put it in a weekly plastic container where I only have to take the contents of the, say, Monday evening dose. The problem with that is watching time fly by as I suddenly have to refill it again and again and again.

I took all of my lower end but good parts down to the local bike shop that is run by an illegal. I don't speak enough Spanish so I just put yet another box full of parts on the counter for him. He builds "affordable" bikes for people who need transportation. When you are a basically unskilled laborer it is much easier to get a job within biking distance from your residence.. But unskilled is in the eyes of the beholder. Minor carpentry work and reupholstering isn't being done by anyone else.

Were I to take a job the minimum distance to work would be a 25 mile drive with a $6 bridge crossing. And starting Tuesday as everything is suppose to go back to normal if traffic gets anything like it was, that 25 mile trip would be one hour to, early in the morning and two hours back in the evening commute. And they wonder why I don't want to take the jobs in Silicon Valley locations which could double those numbers easily.

The traffic NOW is so bad that when I have my neurologist appointment in Palo Alto, I could actually make the 25 miles faster on my bike. But there are very few new companies in Silicon Valley now. Governor Loathsome has chased all of the business out of California and rich people are leaving so rapidly that they can't even put For Sale signs on their property because it is an invitation for people to break in and live in their homes and the only things the cops do now is politely ask them to please move. Which they don't do. So now these rich people have to hire private cops to keep their homes safe until sold. And since these homes sell for $2-3 Million they are selling so slowly that one home in my neighborhood took 2 years to sell. They have to resort to renting these place out. My brother's ONE ROOM CONDO is about to sell for over $200,000 and he is moving to Reno. Most of my relatives are making plans to get out after they retire. My cousins will stay until their father dies then flee as if their homes were on fire. But they live in Marin where house last 15 minutes on the market.
Ads