Go Simon Go!! - The result

Old August 10th 05, 08:19 PM
MartinM

Default Doping was Go Simon Go!! - The result

Clive George wrote:
"MartinM" wrote in message
ups.com...

Clive George wrote:

See also Graham Obree's comments on the matter.

links please?

Sorry, don't have any. It's mentioned in his book. When he joined a pro
squad, he was expected to put up a couple of grand for 'medication' or
somesuch. He didn't, and left not much later.

Thanks, will dig out a copy. "Put me back on my bike" is my holiday
reading.

Old August 11th 05, 06:54 AM
A.Lee

Default Go Simon Go!! - The result

JohnB wrote:

MartinM wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:

What is 'vet standard time'?

Hmm, you're asking now,from memory I think it's an average time that
riders do once over the age of 40; starts at 1.06.30 for a 25 at the
age of 40 IIRC and increases by 30s every year of age or therabouts;
www.rttc.org.uk should have it all.

Or even the vtta as he

http://www.vtta.org.uk/standard.html

It seems a 50 year old should be aiming to beat 27mins 33 secs.

These figures dont look too convincing to me - the 10mile time for a
40yo is 25:30, with the 25mile time being 1h6m.
I know if I tried, i could do 1h6m for the 25, but the 10 mile time is
completely out of my league - I've never beaten 26:30.
Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.
Old August 11th 05, 08:51 AM
MartinM

A.Lee wrote:
JohnB wrote:

MartinM wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:

What is 'vet standard time'?

Hmm, you're asking now,from memory I think it's an average time that
riders do once over the age of 40; starts at 1.06.30 for a 25 at the
age of 40 IIRC and increases by 30s every year of age or therabouts;
www.rttc.org.uk should have it all.

Or even the vtta as he

http://www.vtta.org.uk/standard.html

It seems a 50 year old should be aiming to beat 27mins 33 secs.

These figures dont look too convincing to me - the 10mile time for a
40yo is 25:30, with the 25mile time being 1h6m.
I know if I tried, i could do 1h6m for the 25, but the 10 mile time is
completely out of my league - I've never beaten 26:30.

believe me they are right, I have had -3 mins as a 40yo. Apprently to
win a middlemarkers trophy you need to go under 24 for a 10.

Old August 11th 05, 09:19 AM
iakobski

the 10 mile time is completely out of my league

Probably not - it's only 0.8 mph (or 3.5%) faster than the speed for
the 25 miles.

Old August 11th 05, 10:01 AM
iakobski

Nae chance!

Extending the series you gave in the other post, I'd say you'll hit
26:42 on 28 March 2006

Old August 11th 05, 10:22 AM
David Martin

iakobski wrote:
Nae chance!

Extending the series you gave in the other post, I'd say you'll hit
26:42 on 28 March 2006

It isn't linear. The effort required is related to the third power of
the speed (due to it being air resistance[1]) so will not progress
linearly.

...d

[1] Except in my case when it is clearly related to cakes as it is a
slightly rolling TT course. Must look up the dates for the rest of this
year and do a ten at some point.

...d

Old August 11th 05, 10:45 AM
iakobski

It isn't linear. snip technical mumbo jumbo

Thanks Prof. I'd sort of guessed it isn't linear, otherwise Simon would
exceed the speed of light before his 90th birthday. Over small
increments, his historical improvement has been close to linear, so
perhaps his power output has increased with the third power of the date?

Old August 11th 05, 12:09 PM
Dave Larrington

MartinM wrote:

but still climbs and falls en route surely even if it ends up at the
same place. Not sure how a TT qualifies as hilly; for an audax it
needs to be a minimum of 1500m in 100km but probably a lot less for a
TT. As most TT courses were devised in about 1492 there must be a
fairly old fashioned formula for calculating them.

I expect furlongs are involved somewhere...

And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And
the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries
of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and
to them it is the holocaust."

Old August 11th 05, 12:28 PM
Richard

Dave Larrington wrote:
MartinM wrote:

but still climbs and falls en route surely even if it ends up at the
same place. Not sure how a TT qualifies as hilly; for an audax it
needs to be a minimum of 1500m in 100km but probably a lot less for a
TT. As most TT courses were devised in about 1492 there must be a
fairly old fashioned formula for calculating them.

I expect furlongs are involved somewhere...

Usually as in, 'this race has gone on furlong enough.'

R.
Old August 11th 05, 01:18 PM
dkahn400

MartinM wrote:
Simon Brooke wrote:

As it's an 'out and back' course there's obviously no net
climb

but still climbs and falls en route surely even if it ends up at
the same place.

Theoretically any amount of undulation works against the rider as you
can never quite get back on the downs what you lose on the ups.
However, there is, or at any rate used to be, a small degree of freedom
in what exactly constitutes "out and back". The fast F4 course I did
most of my 10s on as a schoolboy started from a slip road onto a dual
carriageway near the top of a longish hill that was steepest near the
top. The finish was by a road sign in the opposite carriageway but was
about 200 yards short of it. So the start was a short, steep, downhill
sprint followed by a long gentle downhill, then a longish flat bit,
while the finish was a longish flat bit followed by a long gentle
uphill, followed by almost no steep uphill.

--
Dave...

An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
Ganglian Cyst: A Result of Cycling? Gary Jacobson Techniques 27 June 10th 04 03:10 PM
"The Stability of the Bicycle" GerryK Techniques 168 October 22nd 03 05:02 PM
MA3 rim failure, where to now jt UK 481 October 10th 03 10:20 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM