racing and throwing up

Old July 8th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Gregory McGuire

Default racing and throwing up

Searching for someone with experience, sometimes when I am out on the bike,
and there is a faster rider, and I attempt to keep up with that rider, they
are going faster than I am used to riding, I feel like I am going to throw
up. I feel like I cannot even ride their tail without throwing up. I just
think to myself; that's too much for me.
Is it a food thing, a level of fitness thing, and off day thing.
For those of you out there that are true racers, and have a moment to
express your experience, and offer something along this inquery, please do.

Old July 8th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

Gregory McGuire wrote:
Searching for someone with experience, sometimes when I am out on the bike,
and there is a faster rider, and I attempt to keep up with that rider, they
are going faster than I am used to riding, I feel like I am going to throw
up. I feel like I cannot even ride their tail without throwing up. I just
think to myself; that's too much for me.
Is it a food thing, a level of fitness thing, and off day thing.
For those of you out there that are true racers, and have a moment to
express your experience, and offer something along this inquery, please do.

Greg -

I threw up in every points race I ever rode in 15 seasons. The key is
being able to force it back down before it exits your mouth or nose.

There's no getting around the fact that bike racing is really hard.

-RJ

Old July 8th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
B. Lafferty

"ronaldo_jeremiah" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gregory McGuire wrote:
[...]

I can remember Nelson Vails throwing up on the road at Old Westbury around
1979 when he was riding from Lenny Preheim's Toga team. The trick when it's
being caused by a stronger rider is to use every last bit of strength an
peristalsis control to move up, half-wheel the guy and then barf all over
him. You'll get time to recover and he'll probably be out of the race along
with some others. Puke is very slippery.

Old July 8th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

Gregory McGuire wrote:
Searching for someone with experience, sometimes when I am out on the
bike,
and there is a faster rider, and I attempt to keep up with that rider,
they
are going faster than I am used to riding, I feel like I am going to
throw
up. I feel like I cannot even ride their tail without throwing up. I just
think to myself; that's too much for me.
Is it a food thing, a level of fitness thing, and off day thing.
For those of you out there that are true racers, and have a moment to
express your experience, and offer something along this inquery, please
do.

Greg -

I threw up in every points race I ever rode in 15 seasons. The key is
being able to force it back down before it exits your mouth or nose.

But you lose style/sympathy points that way. Witness the 'dives' in the
World Cup.

OTOH, Ken Nowakowski used to barf _before_ every track meeting.

Does nose vomit burn?

Old July 9th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Gregory McGuire" wrote:

Searching for someone with experience, sometimes when I am out on the bike,
and there is a faster rider, and I attempt to keep up with that rider, they
are going faster than I am used to riding, I feel like I am going to throw
up. I feel like I cannot even ride their tail without throwing up. I just
think to myself; that's too much for me.
Is it a food thing, a level of fitness thing, and off day thing.
For those of you out there that are true racers, and have a moment to
express your experience, and offer something along this inquery, please do.

It's a fitness/bad day thing. Can be brought on by bonking if you're
underfed for the ride, but mostly it's just what happens to some people
when they're overtaxed.

Old July 9th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
"Gregory McGuire" wrote:

Searching for someone with experience, sometimes when I am out on the bike,
and there is a faster rider, and I attempt to keep up with that rider, they
are going faster than I am used to riding, I feel like I am going to throw
up. I feel like I cannot even ride their tail without throwing up. I just
think to myself; that's too much for me.
Is it a food thing, a level of fitness thing, and off day thing.
For those of you out there that are true racers, and have a moment to
express your experience, and offer something along this inquery, please do.

It's a fitness/bad day thing. Can be brought on by bonking if you're
underfed for the ride, but mostly it's just what happens to some people
when they're overtaxed.

But surely there is some connection between the LiveDrunk philosophy
and producing lung cookies while cycling, no?

-RJ

Old July 9th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

Gregory McGuire wrote:
[...]

Dammit Brian, what happened to your campaign for clean racing?

Don't worry though, I haven't lost any respect for you,

Old July 9th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
B. Lafferty

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message

Gregory McGuire wrote:
[...]

That's nice and if we should ever ride together I promise not to puke on
you.

Old July 9th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Marlene Blanshay

Gregory McGuire wrote:

[...]

ewwww.....

i remember seeing footage of some poor shmuck barfing on mount
washington. I can't remember who it was, it was like 3 or 4 years ago
and he was from credit agricole. Actually a couple of guys barfed when
they got to the top- just leaned over and gave it up. I always say, if
you can get up mt washington, you're entitled to throw up.
Old July 9th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Gregory McGuire wrote:
Searching for someone with experience, sometimes when I am out on the bike,
and there is a faster rider, and I attempt to keep up with that rider, they
are going faster than I am used to riding, I feel like I am going to throw
up. I feel like I cannot even ride their tail without throwing up. I just
think to myself; that's too much for me.
Is it a food thing, a level of fitness thing, and off day thing.
For those of you out there that are true racers, and have a moment to
express your experience, and offer something along this inquery, please do.

Greg, now you know how we feel when we don't train properly. Yes, it is
a fitness thing. When you have a great amount of mileage in your legs,
your "slow" pace will be considered quite fast for a newcomer. I know
this after taking some years off the bike, and then trying to hang with
just a casual "dayy off" ride with some old racing friends of mine. I
had no idea I could get so slow again.

Keep riding. You'll get faster. Good luck.