Airborne

Old May 24th 21, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Airborne

On 5/23/2021 9:17 PM, John B. wrote:
Perhaps I'm
prejudice but if you don't know what to put in the fuel tank are you
really competent to own or operate a motor vehicle?

Oh, it can happen. I once took an international phone call from a
relative vacationing in Spain. Jet lag plus, I suppose, lack of
knowledge of Spanish caused him to put diesel into a gas-powered rental
car.

His main worry was whether he destroyed the engine. (He didn't.) In the
end, it seemed the rental company was pretty familiar with that mistake.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 24th 21, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/23/2021 6:17 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

Yup, another device to save mankind from his own foibles. Perhaps I'm
prejudice but if you don't know what to put in the fuel tank are you
really competent to own or operate a motor vehicle?

Alas, the diesel nozzle fits into the gasoline filler. I recall someone
filling up their gasoline-powered car with diesel in San Francisco and
asking me if my VW Rabbit was diesel so he could siphon the fuel out.
Alas, my car was not the diesel version.
Old May 25th 21, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 3:00:04 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 2:00:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Received the Airborne and have started assembly. The Drive Side cup won't start though the threads look perfectly OK.

Are you screwing it in the right way? It is ISO left hand thread. The fact that it is a Ti BB shouldn't make it harder to screw in the cups unless the threads are munged. You'll need anti-seize with aluminum cups going into Ti.

The Airborne has a BRC Profile Designs fork on it and it looked like it was left out in the sun for a long time and the finish was flaking off of it. This didn't give me a great deal of confidence in it so I ordered a new identical fork. This will mean I have to remove the lower fork race and install it on the new fork. These fork headset bearings were made by Airborne and they feel like new so I'm confident in the rest of the bike as well. Oh, wait, some of the nutcases here think that the titanium is "worn out" and suffering from metal fatigue. Without knowing a single thing about the history of the bike mind you. This is a demonstration of the quality of thinking here.
Old May 25th 21, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/25/2021 12:58 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Oh, wait, some of the nutcases here think that the titanium is "worn out" and suffering from metal fatigue.

Nobody said that, Tom. If I'm wrong, give us a direct quote and a link.

You must spend time imagining debates in which you construct, then
demolish straw men.

What a sad way to attempt self-validation.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 25th 21, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 9:58:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Oh, wait, some of the nutcases think you got into the way-back machine and bought a discount Ti bike (with a documented history of failures) with a 1" steerer fork for no apparent reason except maybe some compulsive disorder. Now you're going to end up with a 21 year old POS with a NOS Profile fork -- and you mis-ordered your crank, so that has to go back. More work to get a simple part for an ISO threaded BB bike that will be worth whatever parts you put on it.

One hopes you don't bend the crown bearing seat taking that off and have to go rummaging around for a 1" replacement. This is like Mr. Magoo does bikes -- humorous but at the same time scary.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 25th 21, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 10:34:48 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/25/2021 12:58 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Oh, wait, some of the nutcases here think that the titanium is "worn out" and suffering from metal fatigue.

Nobody said that, Tom. If I'm wrong, give us a direct quote and a link.

You must spend time imagining debates in which you construct, then
demolish straw men.

What a sad way to attempt self-validation.

Frank, WHY was the subject even brought up? Because you and others wanted to imply that anything I got must be junk. So don't give me your crap as if it doesn't stink like the rest of your opinions.
Old May 25th 21, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 10:38:10 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

So you just proved my comments. Good job Jay. Tell us what is wrong with a 1" fork shaft. They were only increased in side so that they could use carbon shafts with reasonable reliability. Then the tapered shafts were invented purely so that they could make them even lighter.

It isn't a very good idea to put anti-seize on aluminum cups since that material contains several different kinds of metals in them that can react with aluminum. Phil Wood grease works as well as anything.

And for your information ALL bikes have histories of failure. There is NO bike that hasn't failed unless so far overbuilt that it is almost impossible to climb with. You know better than that so stop trying the argue about things you know are silly.
Old May 25th 21, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/25/2021 12:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Do add molybdenum paste between aluminum and titanium. They
are otherwise very reactive together:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/PARDOOX.JPG

Note the heaved/bulged end of that titanium tube. There's a
fat smear of Loctite filler inside it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 25th 21, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 10:57:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Uh, isn't this about resale? So now you have a heavy aluminum steerer fork that takes a 1" stem, spacers, top-cap star nut, etc., etc. You're locked into 2000 technology. It may work fine, but why? Where is the market?

Airborne was a discount brand to start, and if I were going to buy a discount Ti frame, I'd just wait for one over at Bikes Direct. Get a hydo-disc Ultegra Ti bike for $2,500. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...road-bikes.htm What are you going to sell your time-capsule for? Will it have Ultegra level equipment on it? Discs? Through-axles and (cheapish) DT Swiss wheels?

It isn't a very good idea to put anti-seize on aluminum cups since that material contains several different kinds of metals in them that can react with aluminum. Phil Wood grease works as well as anything.

Wrong. I'd use copper Ti prep to avoid reaction and because it is more robust and likely to stop BB cup creaking. Grease will work, but not as well..

And for your information ALL bikes have histories of failure. There is NO bike that hasn't failed unless so far overbuilt that it is almost impossible to climb with. You know better than that so stop trying the argue about things you know are silly.

https://www.roadbikereview.com/threa...-crack.351086/ Assuming any of my bikes broke, I can go back to the manufacturer. Your manufacturer is long gone.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 25th 21, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/25/2021 11:35 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Airborne was a discount brand to start, and if I were going to buy a discount Ti frame, I'd just wait for one over at Bikes Direct. Get a hydo-disc Ultegra Ti bike for $2,500. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...road-bikes.htm What are you going to sell your time-capsule for? Will it have Ultegra level equipment on it? Discs? Through-axles and (cheapish) DT Swiss wheels?

Nice, other than the carbon fork. Ora, out of Taiwan, makes the frames
https://www.oraeng-tw.com/. But I'd probably go with a Habanero with
the All-City Super Professional CroMo Fork and a 105 groupset so I could
still get a triple.