getting sick all the time and training

Old September 10th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Roger Zoul

Default getting sick all the time and training

wrote:
::: Your training load is too weekend-loaded, and it's sheer insanity to
::: do all your training "just below LT", which you couldn't be doing
::: anyway, or else you'd have broken down a lot faster.
::
:: my understanding is that LT is defined as the effort in a race that
:: lasts for 1 hour. So I just kept the effort below it to be able to
:: last for 2 or 3 or 5 . It certainly felt good mentally. And yes, it
:: did help to unwind from the stress at work. Passing everyone on the
:: road also feels good, and I can't deal well with being passed.
::
:: OK, If I am convinced I am overdoing it, I am ready to slow down...
:: as soon as the current 2 week long cold is over. But I am sure there
:: are people who can handle more, so I am wondeirng how they can do
:: it.

More details. What your age, weight, general fitness level? Diet? Vitamins?

Old September 10th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing

One thing about me that may help keep my immune
system on alert is that I will fill up my water bottles out of creeks
and sometimes even canals that drain farm fields.

If you've done it only 2-3 times in your life, or happen to live high
in the mountains, I believe it.

Old September 10th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Bill Baka

Roger Zoul wrote:
Bill Baka wrote:
:: wrote:
:::: I would guess you are training pretty much the same every day --
:::: sure way to chronic fatigue and impaired immune system.
:::
::: actually, it's been like this:
:::
::: 2 hrs/30 miles Tue
::: 2 hrs/30 miles Th
::: 3 hrs/50 miles Sat (or equivalent crosstraining)
::: 5 hrs/80 miles Sun (or equivalent crosstraining)
::: I do ride fast (just below the LT and above it on most climes),
::: especially on the short rides.
:::
::: Is that proven that athletes have weakened immune systems? I like to
::: exercise to stay healthy, and to place in a race here and there,
::: but I would not want to "use" my health to exercise/race. And I
::: certainly did not expect the above regiment to be "beyond" that
::: line.
:::
:: Don't believe that your riding is making you sick. I try to ride a
:: minimum of 20 miles a day when it isn't hot enough to broil my
:: brains in the sun and I have not been sick once in 30 years. Some
:: days I don't ride at all and just slack off at the computer, but I
:: think the riding would actually help your immune system. Get checked
:: out to see if you don't have something else wrong with you, like
:: anemia or some other oddball condition. One thing about me that may
:: help keep my immune system on alert is that I will fill up my water
:: bottles out of creeks and sometimes even canals that drain farm
:: fields. Who knows what bear did what up stream? It hasn't killed me
:: so it must be making me stronger. Bottom line is go see a doctor.
:: We are all different, but I don't think you are over training unless
:: you are doing this at 70 years old. In that case I would say you are
:: doing great.

Overtraining would depend on who you are. What may be overtraining for me
might be a piece of cake for you. Everyone has to adapt to a training
schedule.

Who I am, as most people know is a soon to be 58 cubicle burnout. I
think the job with the high stress and weekends is the problem. Salaried
jobs sound good at first until that near 6 figure income starts
requiring 10 hour days, overnighters (been there, done that, new job
time), and weekends, all with no overtime pay. Some times your health
and sanity outweigh the money.
Bill (cubicle free) Baka
Old September 10th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Bill Baka

wrote:
One thing about me that may help keep my immune
system on alert is that I will fill up my water bottles out of creeks
and sometimes even canals that drain farm fields.

If you've done it only 2-3 times in your life, or happen to live high
in the mountains, I believe it.

I do it routinely on hot days when I go up into the mountains. On some
occasions I have had to dip the bottle below the stuff floating on top.
Looking into the bottle there is a myriad of little things swimming, but
I consider them free protein. There is no Mercury or Lead in the water
that I know of and the streams do come down from the mountains. Maybe I
am just one really lucky S.O.B.?? I may pick up enough bacteria that my
immune system is always on high alert, hence the 30 years of not sick
except for the 3 times with food poisoning. 2 of those times were from
eating off the food wagons so common in Silicon Valley or Santa Clara as
most people would know it. The first time I got it I found out that a
large percentage of people die from it due to dehydration. I spent the
night, ummm, passing water by the gallons and drinking gallons. Next day
I was fine, wasted, but fine.
Sorry to be even that graphic, but a little knowledge can save your life.
Bill Baka
Old September 10th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing

while eating junk food.
I used to eat a power bar, grab my bike, and disappear at lunch time, so
nobody could ambush me with working through lunch.

i don't eat lunch 50% of time, and I will have fruits for lunch the
other 50%. I am pretty cautious about what I put inside myself.

Old September 10th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing

I do it routinely on hot days when I go up into the mountains. On some
occasions I have had to dip the bottle below the stuff floating on top.
Looking into the bottle there is a myriad of little things swimming, but
I consider them free protein.

that's why I bought it. My theory ('theory") is that people get sick
around other people unless it's some exotic animal-to-human disease).
On my numerous trips to the wilderness, experiencing
wind/snow/cold_wet_feet_24_hrs_a_day/sleepless_nights_because_its_too_cold
I have never got sick. In the civilization, it takes an open window to
knock me down. I bet your trick with the bottle wouldn't work in Japan
where they use human feces as fertilizes (unverified information, but I
am too sick to google it).

Old September 10th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Bill Baka wrote:
Who I am, as most people know is a soon to be 58 cubicle burnout. I
think the job with the high stress and weekends is the problem. Salaried
jobs sound good at first until that near 6 figure income starts
requiring 10 hour days, overnighters (been there, done that, new job
time), and weekends, all with no overtime pay. Some times your health
and sanity outweigh the money.

Near 6 figure income? A lot of people work salary jobs like this for
less than $50,000 (USD) per year in major urban areas.

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain

Old September 10th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing

age,

30

weight

175/6.0"

general fitness level

threshold 180-185 with max BPM of 195, Vomax 65, 7+ L lung capacity
(when I am not sick); the rest is compensated by pain tolerance.

Diet?

high protein, high carb, fresh veggies, fruits for desert

Vitamins

I think I get them from the fruits.

Old September 10th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing

Near 6 figure income? A lot of people work salary jobs like this for
less than $50,000 (USD) per year in major urban areas.

yeah, that's me. People don't do my kind of job for the sake of money.