Bike fork/shock?

Old August 5th 05, 04:00 PM
catalyst

Default Bike fork/shock?

I dont know if this has been done, but what would be the problems of
building a muni out of a nice bike fork with a shock? except that it
would be expensive. I just want to know what the problems/requirements
with this yould be before I rush into it.

--
catalyst
catalyst's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10327

Old August 5th 05, 04:11 PM
halfbike

You would have to weld bearing holders to each fork. But to engage the
shocks you would have to push the seat down with your croch. So there
isn't much of a point besides that it would look sweet.

--
halfbike - Obsessed Rider

Your mom goes to college...
halfbike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9428

Old August 5th 05, 05:03 PM
john_childs

Read through this thread: 'MUni Features?' (http://tinyurl.com/8r384)
Page 2 starts talking about suspension frames

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old August 5th 05, 05:37 PM
johnfoss

Durability aside, Daniel Hopkins' original suspension fork MUni was a
sweet, sweet ride. Like driving a Cadillac down the trail or something,
with it's gushy suspension and gel/air/whatever seat. I wouldn't mind
taking a ride on another one sometime...

Also, though suspension posts have their drawbacks, some designs can
work well. The Thudbuster:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=273
has only the drawback of the height of the thing, limiting the riders
who can fit one. I'm not aware of them falling apart under the rigors of
MUni.

The $25 Pyramid:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=274
lasted me a whole year before wearing out, and that was only after Steve
Dressler "learned to ride stairs" with it. It was his first experience
with a proper MUni and I think he put a lot of wear & tear on. The main
drawback of this post is the length. It was a tad too long for me, and
I'm 6' tall. But for $25 it's well worth experimenting with, long as
you're tall enough.

The Rock Shox post:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=275
is probably more of a risk due to the higher price. It will probably
last longer than the Pyramid, but I think it's the same length, meaning
it has the same rider-height problem.

These posts cannot be cut down, because the suspension mechanism runs
the length of the inside. On the Pyramid, the pre-load adjustment is a
threaded screw in the bottom of the post. I cut part of this off, taking
away some of the seats cushiness in exchange for a little bit lower
seat.

Suspension is best for cruising on long, bumpy trails. It's not useful
for Trials or really technical riding, only for when you're seated and
cruising. It would probably also be nice for road riders as well.

--
johnfoss - More Moab Fun

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old August 5th 05, 05:37 PM
johnfoss

[...]

Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM