Clothes

Old October 21st 05, 07:25 AM

Default Clothes

Right now I'm seriously wishing I could go bike-clothes shopping in the
US.

Even knowing that I'd pay a huge amount more, I'm still wishing it.

Just bought my second set of riding attire today. The fancy fancies
general don't come in Marian sized, because most of the people in the
club are golly gee Asian and aren't Marian sized. Not like I need (or
particularly want) special 'famous team' branded clothes. (Unless it
were US Postal Service cause I actually am American and even the
non-bikers over here know who Lance Armstrong is.)

Today's new purchase is the blue colored Shimano set of Spandex. The
jersey is coolmax. The pad in the shorts is nicer. BUT, it doesn't
really fit right. Six panels instead of eight panels in the short.
And something weird is going on across my shoulders so I can't zip it
all the way up.

On the plus side, it has a full zipper and some of the various shades
of blue co-ordinate with my string bikini.

-M

Old October 21st 05, 02:37 PM
Jeff Starr

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 07:28:56 -0400, Joe Canuck

[...]

Spandex... argh!

What's wrong with spandex?

Well, I wouldn't wear it as a fashion statement, I do wear bicycle
specific clothing, when riding.

Try it, you might like it. Oh, don't worry, no one who matters, will
question your sexuality.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old October 21st 05, 03:57 PM
Cathy Kearns

wrote in message
oups.com...
Right now I'm seriously wishing I could go bike-clothes shopping in the
US.

Even knowing that I'd pay a huge amount more, I'm still wishing it.

Just bought my second set of riding attire today. The fancy fancies
general don't come in Marian sized, because most of the people in the
club are golly gee Asian and aren't Marian sized. Not like I need (or
particularly want) special 'famous team' branded clothes. (Unless it
were US Postal Service cause I actually am American and even the
non-bikers over here know who Lance Armstrong is.)

If you live in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or the UK you could try
www.teamestrogen.com. Or www.terrybicycles.com does mention international
shipping, and does not say it limits countries.

Old October 21st 05, 10:44 PM
The Wogster

Cathy Kearns wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Right now I'm seriously wishing I could go bike-clothes shopping in the
US.

Even knowing that I'd pay a huge amount more, I'm still wishing it.

Just bought my second set of riding attire today. The fancy fancies
general don't come in Marian sized, because most of the people in the
club are golly gee Asian and aren't Marian sized. Not like I need (or
particularly want) special 'famous team' branded clothes. (Unless it
were US Postal Service cause I actually am American and even the
non-bikers over here know who Lance Armstrong is.)

If you live in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or the UK you could try
www.teamestrogen.com. Or www.terrybicycles.com does mention international
shipping, and does not say it limits countries.

Just because an American company is willing to ship outside the USA, it
can be very expensive. For example brokerage fees can be $25 to $30
plus any customs and taxes charged. International shipping can be
ridiculous, and if that's not enough, you get exchange.

For example say your looking at pink bike shorts for $29.95 in the US,
add $30 for brokerage and customs, and $10 for shipping and your looking
at $69.95, from Canada your looking at $99.31 in "real" money.

There are some companies that use logistics companies and warehousers to
keep costs down. For example, they ship a container load of products
into a country, and customers for that companies products in that
country are distributed from that warehouse..... This means no customs
and brokerage fees.

Old October 22nd 05, 12:57 AM

On the subject of clothes -- does anybody share my fantasy:
Fashionable clothes that you can wear on your bike, and then wear OFF
your bike. Snappy pants, shirts, jackets etc. designed to not connect
with your chain, designed to accomodate the hunched over position,
designed to do the kinds of things bike clothes do but that look good
in the real world. These two standards are not mutually exclusive. In
fact, I have quite a few ideas for cool designer clothing that works
for urban cyclists. Anybody know of a company and/or designer who
makes stuff like that? If not, want to fund my new business?

Old October 22nd 05, 01:26 AM

wrote:
On the subject of clothes -- does anybody share my fantasy:
Fashionable clothes that you can wear on your bike, and then wear OFF
your bike. Snappy pants, shirts, jackets etc. designed to not connect
with your chain, designed to accomodate the hunched over position,
designed to do the kinds of things bike clothes do but that look good
in the real world.

I share your fantasy.

Understand, for a lot of my riding, I just wear ... clothes. That is,
for my commute to work, or my riding to local stores, etc. I wear
normal attire. For recreational rides over 10 miles, I typically don
the "full mating plumage." But things could be better.

My fantasy is to ride into some little village, park the bike, walk
into a bookstore, and not have anyone realize I arrived by bike.

First obstacle is, I have a very active cooling system. That is, I
sweat lots. And I _still_ haven't figured out what types of fabric
don't show sweat as dark splotches. Casual clothes that hide sweat,
yet give good ventilation, would be great. Advice welcome.

Second obstacle is style, for long rides. Sometimes I'd like an
alternative to the lycra. The baggy (say, MTB-intended) bike shorts
I've tried have been very uncomfortable, and really don't look that
much better than black lycra. (I don't look _too_ bad in black lycra,
I think. I hope. Maybe.)

Regarding jerseys : at minimum, I'd prefer they not advertise anything,
and not require squinting. I've got a couple like that, but they still
obviously look like bike clothes, so they fall short of the "bookstore"
fantasy.

A final detail is carrying things. I make heavy use of pockets in
everyday life. Rear jersey pockets are handiest on the bike, but they
do look strange. And again, baggy shorts with pockets haven't been
comfortable. So far, I'm getting by with a nylon bag for my wallet,
comb, pocketknife, etc. in my handlebar bag.

Oh, a final detail. I'm not a big helmet fan. I'd like to find a
cycling cap that didn't advertise some European team and didn't look
like I should have a plug of tobacco in my cheek.

Someone once suggested I invest in a pair of knickers, sporty socks, a
waistcoat and a tweed cap. I admit the idea has its charm... but it's
not quite what I'm after.

These two standards are not mutually exclusive. In
fact, I have quite a few ideas for cool designer clothing that works
for urban cyclists. Anybody know of a company and/or designer who
makes stuff like that? If not, want to fund my new business?

No, and (unfortunately) no. But I'd like to hear your ideas, out of
curiosity.

- Frank Krygowski

Old October 22nd 05, 03:14 AM
Joe Canuck

Jeff Starr wrote:
[...]

My personal preference is for clothes that are a little less activity
specific yet still acceptable for cycling AND other activities as well.

Old October 22nd 05, 05:24 AM
Cathy Kearns

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
On the subject of clothes -- does anybody share my fantasy:
Fashionable clothes that you can wear on your bike, and then wear OFF
your bike. Snappy pants, shirts, jackets etc. designed to not connect
with your chain, designed to accomodate the hunched over position,
designed to do the kinds of things bike clothes do but that look good
in the real world.

I share your fantasy.

Understand, for a lot of my riding, I just wear ... clothes. That is,
for my commute to work, or my riding to local stores, etc. I wear
normal attire. For recreational rides over 10 miles, I typically don
the "full mating plumage." But things could be better.

My fantasy is to ride into some little village, park the bike, walk
into a bookstore, and not have anyone realize I arrived by bike.

For women, Terry makes jerseys without elastic on the bottom, with polo
collars or v-neck, without the zip up the front. So they breathe, and
stretch, and hold whatever, but aren't obviously bike shirts. They come in
solids or in all over prints. They also make skirts that fold up tiny, like
a windbreaker. You pop them in your jersey pocket, and then just wrap them
on over your shorts when you get off the bike. I wore that when biking to
the local pro tennis tournament. Also works for touring churches in Europe
while on your bike tour. I'd bet they could make men's baggy shorts out of
the same thing.

Old October 22nd 05, 01:55 PM

The Wogster wrote:
Cathy Kearns wrote:
If you live in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or the UK you could try
www.teamestrogen.com. Or www.terrybicycles.com does mention international
shipping, and does not say it limits countries.

Just because an American company is willing to ship outside the USA, it
can be very expensive. For example brokerage fees can be $25 to $30
plus any customs and taxes charged. International shipping can be
ridiculous, and if that's not enough, you get exchange.

And what if I don't like it and want to return it?
Or what if it gets eaten by the postal monster and takes eight months
to arrive?
Or never arrives?

For example say your looking at pink bike shorts for $29.95 in the US,
add $30 for brokerage and customs, and $10 for shipping and your looking
at $69.95, from Canada your looking at $99.31 in "real" money.

Which is why I dread coming across someone riding an American bike like
a Trek 4500. Inevitably they ask me "how much would it cost in the
US?" and (since I actually went and looked it up on the web) I have to
tell them that our local bike shop is charging about 2-3x what a shop
in the states would charge.

On the other hand, since my road bike was made in a mainland factory by
a Taiwanese company, it probably cost less than half what a similarly
equipped bike would go for in the US. (Harder to make a comparison
since online shops aren't selling the exact same bike.)

-M

Hit-and-run driver strikes cyclist, tears off clothes while running away Claire General 2 October 11th 05 03:04 PM
Clothes for falling off in: any recommendations? Simon Brooke UK 11 July 6th 05 06:46 PM
spiders and clothes. Bill General 6 November 8th 04 10:33 PM
what is a good bag for taking clothes to work without wrinkling them Cory General 11 October 16th 03 12:36 AM