Giro does it again

Old May 17th 09, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bounty Bob

Default Giro does it again

From Cyclingnew live text coverage of stage 9

15:16 CEST
The stage today has been neutralized, by the way. The riders

complained that the course was too dangerous. So we can expect a
sprint, but we
may well see a large bunch hang back and let the sprinters fight it

out among themselves. Which is what the sprinters prefer anyway.

alright! Next years Giro might be a one day race at this rate!
Old May 17th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bar

On May 17, 9:30*am, Bounty Bob wrote:
*From Cyclingnew live text coverage of stage 9

*15:16 CEST
*The stage today has been neutralized, by the way. The riders
complained that the course was too dangerous. So we can expect a
sprint, but we
*may well see a large bunch hang back and let the sprinters fight it
out among themselves. Which is what the sprinters prefer anyway.

alright! Next years Giro might be a one day race at this rate!

omg the course has corners!! what a bunch of punks
Old May 17th 09, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

On May 17, 7:12*am, bar wrote:
On May 17, 9:30*am, Bounty Bob wrote:

*From Cyclingnew live text coverage of stage 9

*15:16 CEST
*The stage today has been neutralized, by the way. The riders
complained that the course was too dangerous. So we can expect a
sprint, but we
*may well see a large bunch hang back and let the sprinters fight it
out among themselves. Which is what the sprinters prefer anyway.

alright! Next years Giro might be a one day race at this rate!

omg the course has corners!! *what a bunch of punks

The riders would never do that in the TdF. Too much at stake. The
suicide break teams only have so many opportunities.
Old May 17th 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist[_3_]

bar wrote:
On May 17, 9:30 am, Bounty Bob wrote:
From Cyclingnew live text coverage of stage 9

15:16 CEST
The stage today has been neutralized, by the way. The riders

complained that the course was too dangerous. So we can expect a
sprint, but we
may well see a large bunch hang back and let the sprinters fight it

out among themselves. Which is what the sprinters prefer anyway.

alright! Next years Giro might be a one day race at this rate!

omg the course has corners!! what a bunch of punks

Tell it to Horrillo.
Old May 18th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Bounty Bob" wrote in message
u...
From Cyclingnew live text coverage of stage 9

15:16 CEST
The stage today has been neutralized, by the way. The riders

complained that the course was too dangerous. So we can expect a
sprint, but we
may well see a large bunch hang back and let the sprinters fight it

out among themselves. Which is what the sprinters prefer anyway.

alright! Next years Giro might be a one day race at this rate!

The Giro has consistently "featured" some pretty tight & twisty
finishes. For that matter, am I the only person watching the coverage
who's noticed how many times, as riders leaned into the corners, their
heads appeared perilously-close to fences and other hazards? It seems
the TdF goes a lot further to provide a *relatively* safe environment
for the riders. By that I mean controlling what is fairly easily
controlled. You can't have a real bike race without the potential for
serious things happening in the mountains, but you can make the final
run-ins and corners safer.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old May 18th 09, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
news

The Giro has consistently "featured" some pretty tight & twisty finishes.
For that matter, am I the only person watching the coverage who's noticed
how many times, as riders leaned into the corners, their heads appeared
perilously-close to fences and other hazards? It seems the TdF goes a lot
further to provide a *relatively* safe environment for the riders. By that
I mean controlling what is fairly easily controlled. You can't have a real
bike race without the potential for serious things happening in the
mountains, but you can make the final run-ins and corners safer.

Bicycle racing is a sport that utilizes the ordinary streets. If they decide
to re-engineer the streets to make them safer for bicycle racing it isn't
the same thing. They might as well race on a track.

Old May 18th 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
news

The Giro has consistently "featured" some pretty tight & twisty
finishes. For that matter, am I the only person watching the coverage
who's noticed how many times, as riders leaned into the corners,
their heads appeared perilously-close to fences and other hazards? It
seems the TdF goes a lot further to provide a *relatively* safe
environment for the riders. By that I mean controlling what is fairly
easily controlled. You can't have a real bike race without the
potential for serious things happening in the mountains, but you can
make the final run-ins and corners safer.

Bicycle racing is a sport that utilizes the ordinary streets. If they
decide to re-engineer the streets to make them safer for bicycle
racing it isn't the same thing. They might as well race on a track.

It's not "re-engineering" the streets to choose a course that doesn't
funnel the field into narrow 90-degree corner shortly before the finish.
It's not "re-engineering" the streets to recognize that a given course
profile is more likely to create a mass sprint finish, while a different
profile would not.

Rider safety *is* relevant. On the road or on the track. My son races at
Hellyer, and he's being taught rules & regulations that I didn't know
about after racing for a number of years. They drill it into the kids
what you can and cannot do during a sprint, stuff that goes far beyond
common sense, and have no reluctance to DQ someone for relatively minor
infractions. And as a result, they have fewer serious crashes.

Are they doing something that's causing the racing to suffer? Is it less
fun from a spectator standpoint to not have the blood? (Well, ok, forget
I said that, but should it be something to look forward to?). Is it less
of a contest between riders if they have to follow the rules?

How does choosing a finishing section wisely (with safety in mind)
detract from the sport?

And since I brought up the differences between the finishing sections of
the Giro vs the TdF, if you accept that the differences exist, can you
point out how the TdF has been "harmed", how racing is less manly or
whatever, at the TdF than the Giro? I don't see any evidence that's the
case. Where is it?

Old May 18th 09, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message

Are they doing something that's causing the racing to suffer? Is it less
fun from a spectator standpoint to not have the blood? (Well, ok, forget I
said that, but should it be something to look forward to?). Is it less of
a contest between riders if they have to follow the rules?

I don't understand what would make you think that "blood" has anything to do
with racing. Bicycles are made to ride on streets. That means that ALL
streets are appropriate for racing. And we expect the racers to watch out
for themselves.

Do you really believe that they're that stupid that you have to get nice
wide streets with no bumps and 500 meters unobstructed straights for
PROFESSIONAL racers to race?

Old May 18th 09, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message

Are they doing something that's causing the racing to suffer? Is it
less fun from a spectator standpoint to not have the blood? (Well,
ok, forget I said that, but should it be something to look forward
to?). Is it less of a contest between riders if they have to follow
the rules?

I don't understand what would make you think that "blood" has anything
to do with racing. Bicycles are made to ride on streets. That means
that ALL streets are appropriate for racing. And we expect the racers
to watch out for themselves.

Do you really believe that they're that stupid that you have to get
nice wide streets with no bumps and 500 meters unobstructed straights
for PROFESSIONAL racers to race?

Is the original version of "Rollerball" your favorite movie? Just a
guess on my part.

Old May 18th 09, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 18, 12:05*am, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message

Are they doing something that's causing the racing to suffer? Is it less
fun from a spectator standpoint to not have the blood? (Well, ok, forget I
said that, but should it be something to look forward to?). Is it less of
a contest between riders if they have to follow the rules?

I don't understand what would make you think that "blood" has anything to do
with racing.

Hey Sparky, you don't see the difference between road rash and dead?
Oops, sorry, I forgot that when you go on one of your jags you are
essentially brain dead. Rag on.

Bicycles are made to ride on streets. That means that ALL
streets are appropriate for racing. And we expect the racers to watch out
for themselves.

I'm taking a stab at it, but you never took a course in logic, did
you? If so, get your money back.

Do you really believe that they're that stupid that you have to get nice
wide streets with no bumps and 500 meters unobstructed straights for
PROFESSIONAL racers to race?

Of course. What are they thinking when they sweep corners before a
criterium? What's a little road rash and a few broken bones?

You're a piece of work. A faulty one, but a piece of work.