Airborne

Old May 21st 21, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Airborne

Received the Airborne and have started assembly. The Drive Side cup won't start though the threads look perfectly OK. Titanium is a little troublesome so I will take it up to Chris Robinson since he's worked on it all. He was Andy Hampsten's Team 7-11 mechanic the year he won the Giro under those awful conditions. I sure as hell would have not wanted to be a team mechanic then. Bob Roll was given winter clothes for Andy at the BOTTOM of the climb and actually caught Andy at the top. That allowed Andy to make it to the finish when everyone else was dropping out.

I have aluminum bars and stem, all Centaur components and heavy Chinese Aero 50 mm wheels. It looks like the finished bike will be lighter than the Trek Emonda which was 17.5 lbs. even. There is plenty of clearance for 28 mm wheels and the steering head on the Profile Designs fork is aluminum 1" I might buy a new fork after awhile since those 1" Profile Design forks are still around NOS.

Airborne had their own headset made and it is still in perfect condition. Though it isn't as if the headset takes much in the way of loads.

I think that this will ride a great deal better than the Douglas Titanium. But that remains to be seen.
Old May 21st 21, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 2:00:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Received the Airborne and have started assembly. The Drive Side cup won't start though the threads look perfectly OK.

Are you screwing it in the right way? It is ISO left hand thread. The fact that it is a Ti BB shouldn't make it harder to screw in the cups unless the threads are munged. You'll need anti-seize with aluminum cups going into Ti.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 22nd 21, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 3:00:04 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 2:00:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Received the Airborne and have started assembly. The Drive Side cup won't start though the threads look perfectly OK.

Are you screwing it in the right way? It is ISO left hand thread. The fact that it is a Ti BB shouldn't make it harder to screw in the cups unless the threads are munged. You'll need anti-seize with aluminum cups going into Ti.

I ordered English Power Torque cups. They came in and I never actually bothered to look at them. Yep, they're Italian and that's what the problem was. Ordered the correct parts. Again.
Old May 22nd 21, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/21/2021 8:04 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 3:00:04 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 2:00:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Received the Airborne and have started assembly. The Drive Side cup won't start though the threads look perfectly OK.

Are you screwing it in the right way? It is ISO left hand thread. The fact that it is a Ti BB shouldn't make it harder to screw in the cups unless the threads are munged. You'll need anti-seize with aluminum cups going into Ti.

I ordered English Power Torque cups. They came in and I never actually bothered to look at them. Yep, they're Italian and that's what the problem was. Ordered the correct parts. Again.

smh...

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 22nd 21, 11:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 7:04:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 3:00:04 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 2:00:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Received the Airborne and have started assembly. The Drive Side cup won't start though the threads look perfectly OK.

Are you screwing it in the right way? It is ISO left hand thread. The fact that it is a Ti BB shouldn't make it harder to screw in the cups unless the threads are munged. You'll need anti-seize with aluminum cups going into Ti.

I ordered English Power Torque cups. They came in and I never actually bothered to look at them. Yep, they're Italian and that's what the problem was. Ordered the correct parts. Again.

????? They, wherever you ordered from, SENT Italian threaded bottom bracket cups? That is a whacky error. Italian threaded bottom brackets are kind or rare now days. Very few bikes continue to use it. English threaded cups are on 99% of all bikes. So the typical, far more likely error is you order the rare unused Italian and receive the common used by everyone British cups in error. Not what happened to you.

Kind of like driving a Diesel vehicle and going to the gas station and pulling in wherever and putting fuel in your vehicle. But gasoline, the 99% used fuel, spigot is too big to fit into the diesel hole in the vehicle. You're looking for the rare Diesel/Italian and getting the common everywhere gasoline/British instead. Gas stations avoid this too easy to occur mistake by making sure gasoline spouts are too big to fit into Diesel holes.

The rarer hard to believe it ever happens scenario is the person driving a gasoline vehicle pulls into the station and puts Diesel into the vehicle. 5% or less of the people want Diesel to begin with. So not much chance of this wanting Italian but getting British error ever occurring. And filling stations don't size the pump nozzles to prevent this rare error. Painting the Diesel nozzles green is good enough.
Old May 22nd 21, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 3:08:16 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Now does everyone have this expert witness down pat? Italian threads are out of date and rare. No matter that half of the European production of carbon fiber bikes are Italian.
Old May 23rd 21, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 22 May 2021 03:08:15 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

I had a friend that did just that. Pulled into the service station
rolled up to a pump and says "fill it up" so the service guy did. He
got less than on kilometer down the road and the engine quit.

When he told me the story I asked him, "didn't you look at the pump to
see what it was pumping?" And he says, "No, why do you have to do
that?"

You see here fuel stations all sell several types of gasoline as well
as diesel and many pickup trucks, for example, use diesel and I guess
when a foreigner drives in, stops at a pump clearly marked "diesel"
and loudly demands, "Fill it up!" the service guy reckoned the bloke
knew what he was talking about :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 23rd 21, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

That's precisely why a fuel filler tube on some vehicles is different so t hat you can't accidentally put the wrong type of fuel (gasoline vs diesel or diesel vs gasoline) into the tank.

Cheers

Old May 24th 21, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Yup, another device to save mankind from his own foibles. Perhaps I'm
prejudice but if you don't know what to put in the fuel tank are you
really competent to own or operate a motor vehicle?
--
Cheers,

John B.