Fixed fixation

Old July 26th 04, 02:17 PM
MSeries

Default Fixed fixation

Jon Senior Wrote:
In article ,=20
says...
=20
I am close to taking the plunge and getting a fixed for training on.

Do
I get a =A3300 Fuji or do I cobble together one using an 80s steel

frame.
My preference would be the latter but I am not sure if I want the

hassle
with chainlines and new wheel etc. Thoughts from fixed owners
appreciated.

Sorting chainline took me a little while and some grief, but this
was=20
largely my own fault. My tips a

a) Do not try to space the chainring by using an ordinary bolt and=20
spacers instead of the original stack bolt. This results in sheared=20
threads and an exploding bolt. I discovered at the end of ride home
that=20
the chainline problems I was having were due to the chainring only
being=20
attached at three points and only one of those was actually secure.
b) Sturmey Archer spacers cost Not A Very Lot of money and will
move=20
your sprocket out by about 2mm. Between one of these and an
ordinary=20
washer for the chainring I have a near-perfect chainline (It is
closer=20
than I can adjust for without custom made extra thin spacers!).
c) If you are not using a lockring, use a chain whip, some loctite
and=20
use a gorilla to put it on. Someone did the maths a while back and=20
showed (IIRC) that you cannot possibly exert enough force on the
pedals=20
to undo one put on like this. Alternatively, if you fancy your hand
at=20
wheelbuilding and the existing wheels are not of exceptionally high=20
quality the Suzue basic flip-slop hubs come in at something like =A335
for=
=20
a pair from SJS.

Jon

Mm, I do fancy trying my hand at wheelbuilding and am considering a 1
day course at EBC with excuse for a trip to Edinburgh. Its all these
not unsurmountable issues that is making me consider a ready made
machine. I just want to get out and ride but if I can recycle an old
cycle for not much money then I'd like to do that, I like spannering
but spacers and flip flop hubs and lockrings are whole new worlds for
me. As for Gorillas I am afraid there are not many around my house
bearing in mind MY heritage.

--
MSeries

Fixed fixation MSeries UK 14 July 27th 04 12:17 AM
Fixed gear conversion questions Bruni Techniques 21 May 10th 04 07:27 AM
Fixed Fixation Tony B UK 15 May 5th 04 08:12 AM
Lockrings or Locktite on fixed gear Matt Cahill Techniques 41 January 22nd 04 07:17 AM