Calorie Estimates....

Old July 22nd 04, 10:24 AM
David Martin

Default Calorie Estimates....

On 22/7/04 12:20 am, in article ,
"LaoFuZhi" the.real.address
thing.not.too.hard.to.work.out wrote:

My way of keeping track of the balance is deliberately un-technical and to
an extent rough and ready simplt because that's the most practical way of
doing it for me; sloppy, absent-minded and preoccupied with other things as
I am...

Mine is also fairly non-technical.. I stand on the scales.
If the weight is up, I have been eating too much. If it is down, too little.

...d

Old July 22nd 04, 12:37 PM
LaoFuZhi

Mine is also fairly non-technical.. I stand on the scales.
If the weight is up, I have been eating too much. If it is down, too

little.

Sounds reasonable....

At least once one's weight's down to the point where the scales stop
trembling every time you approach them ;-)

Old July 22nd 04, 03:11 PM
jacob

David Martin wrote in message ...
On 22/7/04 12:20 am, in article ,
"LaoFuZhi" the.real.address
thing.not.too.hard.to.work.out wrote:

My way of keeping track of the balance is deliberately un-technical and to
an extent rough and ready simplt because that's the most practical way of
doing it for me; sloppy, absent-minded and preoccupied with other things as
I am...

Mine is also fairly non-technical.. I stand on the scales.
If the weight is up, I have been eating too much. If it is down, too little.

..d

Could you expand that to 925 lines please - I don't understand.
The thing with the ELF diet (eat less food) is that it is easy to
remember: if you are too fat you eat less food, er , that's it.

cheers

Jacob
Old July 22nd 04, 11:48 PM
CloseSupport

i could have dropped the full essay in on the thermic effects of food and
the other stuff, i chose to select the harris bennedict formula since its
supposed to be more accurate.

i don't need to diet, i know when i need food and i know when i don't my
weight is always up and down since i have a very busy lifestyle.

although before long rides i may put on a few extra pounds to get me
through, since this is how i was tought to train for endurance athletics.
then cut down the amount that i have been taken just to allow my stomach get
back to size and shape. this when i seem to eat more fats and protein rather
than carbs, since fat produces a release of a hormone named cholyonstolkenin
which gives the belly its feeling of fullness after large fatty ...

I know what i mean its okey!

om...

Old July 22nd 04, 11:58 PM
CloseSupport

Why eat less fats, triglycerides are stored as fats or adipose tissue.
so really if thats the case why shouldn't you eat less carbs and sugars
also. and eat more protein to prevent the breakdown of muscle tissues.

since the body converts energy in order sugarscarbsfats protein....

since there is more energy available from fats why cut the largest energy
provider out, the body ogoes into starvation mode and starts to store the
stuff anyway if you get far to less.

so wouldn't utilising fats and fat stores be a better option rather than
pour more poterntial fat stores in and not let the body use what its stored
along with learn how to deal with it in the future?

works for me..

11.5 stone have been that for the last 10yrs even when training 4 times a
day and running over 100miles per week.

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:28:35 +0100, Michael MacClancy wrote:

Your assumption is correct. The HRM is using your HR as a proxy for

your
power output and this, using a suitable conversion function integrated

over
the time exercised, gives the energy consumed. Your average HR falls as
you get fitter so you use less energy for the same task.

That last sentence is wrong. It should say something like, "Your heart
stroke volume increases as you get fitter so you need a lower heart rate

provide the oxygen needed to burn the calories needed to perform the

task".

The problem is that your HRM doesn't know that your heart stroke volume

has
increased so it counts fewer heart beats and converts these into fewer
calories consumed.

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "I feel so miserable without you, it's almost like

having
you here." -Stephen Bishop
www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
www.macclancy.co.uk

Old July 24th 04, 10:13 PM
David Martin

On 24/7/04 6:42 pm, in article ,
"Jon Senior" jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk wrote:

CloseSupport
opined the following...

this when i seem to eat more fats and protein rather
than carbs, since fat produces a release of a hormone named cholyonstolkenin
which gives the belly its feeling of fullness after large fatty ...

Are you sure about this? A large part of the feeling of fullness will
come from the ease with which your gut absorbs material from what you
eaten. If you've eaten a lot of something that doesn't get absorbed too
easily then it'll take more time to evacuate your stomach and you'll
feel full for longer.

I thought it was eating protein that was the appetite suppressant and this
was the main reason for the Atkins diet working.. you just want to eat less.

I know what i mean its okey!

Hmmm.... please retype the name of the hormone such that I can track it
down, since Google currently has little to say on the subject and I
don't recall encountering such a thing so far.

If it is what I suspect it is OTTOMH (a leptin ligand) then the name makes
some sort of sense if it was discovered by someone I know who works in the
field.. (due to the scandinavian bits in the name sort of a greek/nordic
hybrid meaning something along the lines of 'food counter')

Of course I could be wrong. Like I was about not growing my own potatoes ont
eh allotment. Just had the first lot today. Mashed new Desiree. I never
realised mash could taste so good. Yummy!

...d

Old July 25th 04, 11:42 PM
Jon Senior

David Martin opined the following...
I thought it was eating protein that was the appetite suppressant and this
was the main reason for the Atkins diet working.. you just want to eat less.

The maion reason that the Atkin's diet works (Assuming that you stick to
it) is that your carbohydrate intake is near zero. Carbos like starch
and simple sugars are easy prey for metabolism, fats take more work but
are energy dense, protein is an arse.

Even more OT

Apparently in the states it is now possible to buy "All-Protein Rice".
This is long grain rice to us yokels and is certainly not all protein.
This doesn't prevent it from being marketed as a dietary aid!

/EMOT

If it is what I suspect it is OTTOMH (a leptin ligand) then the name makes
some sort of sense if it was discovered by someone I know who works in the
field.. (due to the scandinavian bits in the name sort of a greek/nordic
hybrid meaning something along the lines of 'food counter')

Hmm. Still couldn't find any traces of it (Although I wasn't looking too
hard. Thankfully my copy of Stryer's Biochemistry was donated to another
impoverished student as it was going to be of little use to me (Only had
one cause to regret it so far!). Would a leptin ligand really change how
full you feel? I thought that was a physical phenomenom caused by direct
swelling of the stomach (The effect can be imitated with the use of a
balloon, although the experiment will probably not make you very
popular!).

Of course I could be wrong. Like I was about not growing my own potatoes ont
eh allotment. Just had the first lot today. Mashed new Desiree. I never
realised mash could taste so good. Yummy!

Mmm. Homegrown veg is almost always better than shop-bought. In part
because of the effort that went into its production.

Jon
Old July 26th 04, 10:40 AM
David Martin

On 25/7/04 11:42 pm, in article ,
"Jon Senior" jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk wrote:

Hmm. Still couldn't find any traces of it (Although I wasn't looking too
hard. Thankfully my copy of Stryer's Biochemistry was donated to another
impoverished student as it was going to be of little use to me (Only had
one cause to regret it so far!).

Too new to be found in Stryer..

Would a leptin ligand really change how
full you feel? I thought that was a physical phenomenom caused by direct
swelling of the stomach.

The swelling induces one form of physiological response. Diet can produce
another. You feel a lot fuller after eating a small cream cake than after
eating the same volume of salad.

Of course I could be wrong. Like I was about not growing my own potatoes ont
eh allotment. Just had the first lot today. Mashed new Desiree. I never
realised mash could taste so good. Yummy!

Mmm. Homegrown veg is almost always better than shop-bought. In part
because of the effort that went into its production.

Because of all the horse **** that got dug into the plot, and the extra
flavouring that comes from not using pesticides. (crunch crunch).

I do use coffee grounds on the lettuce to keep the slugs down which seems to
work very well. The problem is that you need a lot of coffee grounds. An
arrangement with the department cafe is in place that gets me 10-20 litres
of coffee grounds every week or so.

...d