cloride taste

Old June 7th 05, 05:31 AM
Peter Cole

Default cloride taste

sunderland wrote:
Buy a new bladder. And DON'T put chemicals in the new one.

When I used a Camelbak I used bourbon to disinfect it.
Old June 7th 05, 10:50 AM
yk

How can I get ride of chloride taste from camelbak ?
I used chemical to clean a camelbak bladder last fall before storage.
I want to start using it for the summer, but the water tastes terrible.

Old June 7th 05, 02:19 PM
H M Leary

In article , "yk"
wrote:

How can I get ride of chloride taste from camelbak ?
I used chemical to clean a camelbak bladder last fall before storage.
I want to start using it for the summer, but the water tastes terrible.

Perhaps the camelback cleaning tablets will help....??
or HydroPure from Blackburn.

HTH

HAND

Its going 90/90 ( heat/humdidity )
Old June 7th 05, 02:23 PM
Neil Brooks

"yk" wrote:

How can I get ride of chloride taste from camelbak ?
I used chemical to clean a camelbak bladder last fall before storage.
I want to start using it for the summer, but the water tastes terrible.

I just put about a tablespoon of baking soda in with about 20oz. of
hot, hot water and swish, swish, swish.

It seems the hot water opens up the "pores" of the bladder (I have
absolutely no proof of this, but it sounds good to me). The baking
soda does a nice job of neutralizing acids and foul tastes.

Final rinse in cold water closes those chimerical pores again and
you're back on the road....
Old June 7th 05, 03:29 PM
sunderland

Buy a new bladder. And DON'T put chemicals in the new one.

Old June 7th 05, 03:40 PM

yk wrote:
How can I get ride of chloride taste from camelbak ?
I used chemical to clean a camelbak bladder last fall before storage.
I want to start using it for the summer, but the water tastes terrible.

The only thing worse than using chlorine to disinfect your camelbak is
*not* using chlorine to disinfect your camelbak.

The best way to get rid of the bad taste in your camelbak is to get rid
of the camelbak. Water bottles don't have that problem, and they make
you faster, too (aero improvement vs. aero penalty).

Old June 7th 05, 04:35 PM
flatline

I wonder if a soak with a baking soda solution will help.
Or prop open the bladder with a bent wire coathangar and let it air for
a few days in front of a fan.

Old June 7th 05, 06:18 PM
Pat

:
: The best way to get rid of the bad taste in your camelbak is to get rid
: of the camelbak. Water bottles don't have that problem, and they make
: you faster, too (aero improvement vs. aero penalty).

And, it's obvious you don't live in Texas!

Pat
:

Old June 7th 05, 07:13 PM

Pat wrote:
:
: The best way to get rid of the bad taste in your camelbak is to get rid
: of the camelbak. Water bottles don't have that problem, and they make
: you faster, too (aero improvement vs. aero penalty).

And, it's obvious you don't live in Texas!

You're right. I haven't lived there since the late 70s. However, I made
quite a few 60-100 mile rides on the FM roads around Abilene in 90-100
degree weather with only two water bottles. I did stop to refill them
and soak myself at a couple of gas stations along the way. Still, I
didn't have camelbaks as an option then; I'm not sure what I would do
now- probably try to ride at dawn, for one thing. I think I would want
to try to avoid the extra fatigue of carrying the weight of that water
on my back, but it would depend on the availability of watering
stations.