Fork: how to size a fork on a used bike

Old September 12th 03, 03:53 AM
Mike Kruger

Default Fork: how to size a fork on a used bike

Last Saturday, I bent my front fork badly on an old 27 inch bike, an old
Schwinn Sprint.
As old 27 inch bikes are in plentiful supply, I thought I might just pick up
a garage sale special.
What I need to know, though, is how to look at an old bike and tell whether
the fork will fit. (presumably without taking apart the used bike)

What are the key measurements?
Are they all the same diameter, just different lengths in the frame? (e.g.
6", 8", 10")?
Does this 6", 8", 10" measurement correspond to the old sizing of 21", 23",
25" frames? (mine is a large, 25 inch frame)
What else should I know?

--
Mike Kruger
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson