Strobe type or flashing lights in daylight

Old January 15th 13, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Strobe type or flashing lights in daylight

A bright flashing or strobe front light can be quite visible for some distance even in the daylight. On a large group ride (Tour de Grand - Cambridge, Ontario, Canada) a number of years ago. I was riding along ahead of another group of riders when I noticed a flashing in my rear view mirror on the bike I was riding. I pulled over to see what it was behind me that was causing that flashing. It was a strobe type light on a bike a quarter to half a mile back of me. When that bike finally passed me as I waited for it I was astounded at just how small the surface area of the front of that light was but how visible the flashing light was in my small less than 2" diameter mirror.

I have a strobe setting on my front lights and I flick one of them on as I approach intersections in the country where cars are waiting. I flick it off again once I'm past the intersection.

I have had a couple of instances at night where a car failed to give way to me as I crossed an intersection even though I had a very bright steady on front light and also had the right of way. Fortunately both times I was able to take strong evasive action an avoid being hit severely. Once the car did strike my rear chainstay mounted kickstand and rear rack bending both but I was able to stay upright and accelerate out of the way. That particular time I was riding a bicycle that had a car quartz halogen driving light mounted on the front carrier (a cop pulled me over once thinking I was a one eyed bandit and was amazed that I was on a bicycle)and was going through a traffic light controlled intersection. As I was inspecting the bike for any possible damage witnesses stated that the driver must have been drunk to not have seen that big bright light. Now I have two very bright lights mounted on my bike and I turn one to flashing strobe aimed low whenever I approach or am in an intersection with cars possibly going across it. I have had police study the lights to be sure that they are not blinding to other road users and that the strobe function was legal in my area. Every cop I showed them to admired them and said the wished everyone had such lights.

I now have two bright lights mounted on the front of my bike and in traffic one is on steady mode and the other is on strobe mode at night. Steady on bicycle lights front and/or rear at night often get lost in the lights of other vehicles. I really feel based on observations that a BRIGHT flashing light is more visible to others.

In daylight the strobe mode is highly visable from a distance even in bright light and is sometimes all that can be seen if the sun is low behind me. They\re even more conspicuous if the sky is overcast. Cagers seem to have a lot more inside their vehicles to distract them from the road. They glance about periodically for other LARGE vehicles and often simply do not see or recognize bicycle sized objects simply because they are not lookng for them. The lights are always on the bicycle therefore I see no reason to not make use of the strobe mode when it might lead to a motorist seeing me BEFORE they pull outand hit me broadside. We bicyclit SHOULDN'T need such stuff but the fact is that many motorists simple do not see bicycles and/or do not accurately judge the bicycle speed of travel. I'd rather be safe than dead or seriously injured even if I was in the right when struck. Daylight flashing lights can be useful but only if they are bright enough to be visible to others.

Cheers
Old January 15th 13, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:05:16 PM UTC, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

You make a lot of sense, Ridesalot. But what makes you think sense is wanted at RBT? If you believe the Krygowski Krowd, the politics of the Normative Case, what should be rather than the existing condition on the road, trumps all. It's not politically correct to intrude reality into their wishful thinking.

Andre Jute

Flashing lights for hub dynamo Andre Jute Techniques 16 January 23rd 08 01:45 AM
Strobe lights ? _[_2_] UK 19 November 5th 07 01:47 PM
Flashing lights revisited Mike Causer UK 28 October 28th 06 07:56 PM
Flashing lights Steve Hodgson UK 40 November 3rd 05 11:33 PM
Flashing Lights Now Legal [email protected] UK 6 September 19th 05 07:28 PM