Don't Issue Drivers Licenses To Anyone From the U. S.; Make 'EmCycle, Walk, Take Cabs or Public Transportation

Old October 7th 19, 01:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Don't Issue Drivers Licenses To Anyone From the U. S.; Make 'EmCycle, Walk, Take Cabs or Public Transportation

On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 11:35:41 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 06/10/2019 21:49, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 9:17:07 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 06/10/2019 18:41, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 1:38:36 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 06/10/2019 11:54, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 9:20:44 AM UTC+1, soup wrote:
On 05/10/2019 20:01, Bret Cahill wrote:
Why waste limited road space on drivers who are even worse than UK motorists?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/us-di...b03b475f99fe62

Do you realise just how BIG the USA is?

We found that out the hard way. After dinner at the Grand Canyon we decided to drive Las Vegas. On the map it looked to be just down the road, in reality it took 5 hours.

Five hours to *drive* there?
You must have been at the eastern end of the canyon.

From the South Rim village south to I40 then west to Kingman then up 93 and over the Hoover Dam to Las Vegas at night.

I know that route (assuming your "South Rim" means the observation point
due north of Williams and running past the helicopter landing fields, etc).

It's about 270 miles from there to Las Vegas via I-40 and the road
through Kingman, Boulder City and Henderson. It's not a five hour run,
especially at night.

Another time during that trip we underestimated distances and ended up sleeping in the car on a gas station forecourt. 5 liter V8 Mustang 2+2 convertibles don't make good hotel rooms.

Ouch! You were unlucky not to find an on-spec motel along the way.

It was 1992.

Was the I-40 open between Williams and Kingman in those days? You'd
otherwise have had to use Route 66 between those towns.

Not sure to be honest. I know we drove south from the Canyon then headed west towards LA. Seeing a road sign for a city that was further than the length of Britain away was amusing. Do you know Macy's coffee shop in Flagstaff?

Driving up 93 from Kingman to the Dam was amazing with the lightning storm over the mountains. As for the other case we tried to find accommodation but were told the county was full. 18mpg Mustangs don't go far between gas stations.

The sunsets in Arizona are a thing to behold. I'd love to see a
thunderstorm there. I still think you were unlucky not to find a motel.

Driving up 93 the road gradually climbs over many miles and there was multi forked lightening on the horizon.
The Motel failure was, I think, in Boulder Utah. We were running on fumes and told there were no rooms available anywhere by the local Motel owner so we dined in the town diner and made the best of it. Good times.

Old October 7th 19, 03:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 07/10/2019 01:34, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 11:35:41 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 06/10/2019 21:49, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 9:17:07 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 06/10/2019 18:41, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 1:38:36 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 06/10/2019 11:54, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 9:20:44 AM UTC+1, soup wrote:
On 05/10/2019 20:01, Bret Cahill wrote:
Why waste limited road space on drivers who are even worse than UK motorists?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/us-di...b03b475f99fe62

Do you realise just how BIG the USA is?

We found that out the hard way. After dinner at the Grand Canyon we decided to drive Las Vegas. On the map it looked to be just down the road, in reality it took 5 hours.

Five hours to *drive* there?
You must have been at the eastern end of the canyon.

From the South Rim village south to I40 then west to Kingman then up 93 and over the Hoover Dam to Las Vegas at night.

[...]

I haven't been to Flagstaff. Williams is as far east on 66 as I've been
on that section. I've been on on a bit of the route further east in New
Mexico - around Santa Fe - but my 66 travels have mainly been between
Williams AZ and Santa Monica CA (Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino, as
the song has it).

I did drive from Las Vegas to Los Alamos a few years ago, but used I-40
all the way from Kingman to Albuquerque. If I'd had more time, I would
have liked to stop in Flagstaff (and maybe even Winona, which one should
not forget). That was a long way in one day...

Driving up 93 from Kingman to the Dam was amazing with the lightning storm over the mountains. As for the other case we tried to find accommodation but were told the county was full. 18mpg Mustangs don't go far between gas stations.

The sunsets in Arizona are a thing to behold. I'd love to see a
thunderstorm there. I still think you were unlucky not to find a motel.

Driving up 93 the road gradually climbs over many miles and there was multi forked lightening on the horizon.

I'm envious. Mind you, I hope your convertible's hood was watertight.

The Motel failure was, I think, in Boulder Utah. We were running on fumes and told there were no rooms available anywhere by the local Motel owner so we dined in the town diner and made the best of it. Good times.

It still sounds like bad luck. I've only done a bit in Utah (south from
Grand Junction CO to Las Vegas via I-70 and I-15). Never stayed
overnight there.
Old October 9th 19, 04:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Why waste limited road space on drivers who are even worse than UK motorists?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/us-di...b03b475f99fe62

Do you realise just how BIG the USA is?

We found that out the hard way. After dinner at the Grand Canyon we decided to drive Las Vegas. On the map it looked to be just down the road, in reality it took 5 hours.

Five hours to *drive* there?
You must have been at the eastern end of the canyon.

From the South Rim village south to I40 then west to Kingman then up 93 and over the Hoover Dam to Las Vegas at night.

I know that route (assuming your "South Rim" means the observation point
due north of Williams and running past the helicopter landing fields, etc).

It's about 270 miles from there to Las Vegas via I-40 and the road
through Kingman, Boulder City and Henderson. It's not a five hour run,
especially at night.

Another time during that trip we underestimated distances and ended up sleeping in the car on a gas station forecourt. 5 liter V8 Mustang 2+2 convertibles don't make good hotel rooms.

Ouch! You were unlucky not to find an on-spec motel along the way.

It was 1992. Driving up 93 from Kingman to the Dam was amazing with the lightning storm over the mountains. As for the other case we tried to find accommodation but were told the county was full. 18mpg Mustangs don't go far between gas stations.

Lake Havasu City is one of the weirdest combinations of kitsch you wouldn't go near in a billion years, i.e., replicas of royal carriages, etc., and critical mile stones of freedom inscribed in the sidewalks that have never appeared anywhere in the U. S. outside of a multi house university library.

A couple weeks ago, when forecasters predicted flooding in Tuscon I thought everything would be OK in SE California. Then the first alert. Yuma was going to get flooded. The sheet lightening moved to the west and I started getting nervous. Dips in the washes might get flooded.

Like any denier I saw all these small cars in oncoming traffic and figgered "the road must be open." I should have noted that their were no semi rigs in the mix, but when you are hopey you are hopey . . . .

I made it through the first 2 washes but when the high clearance vehicles started having trouble, I decided I didn't want to spend the night on the roof of the car.

I turned around.

I asked the driver of a parked research van about the road, some English guy. He said flatly, "you can't get through."

That's when I figgered out why there were no semi rigs in the on coming traffic! The small cars weren't really on coming traffic. They were just turning around. There was no place for trucks to turn around so they just parked on the road.

Duh!

He then asked how to get to San Diego. He couldn't get there without 6 - 7 hours of driving -- even worse off than me.

I couldn't conceive that there could be anyone worse off than me.