"New" Route

Old October 11th 19, 05:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default "New" Route

I've always -- well, after my toy-bike days -- had trouble finding
places to go. Once, during a summer when I was training to take part
in the September Century, I rode from New Salem to Clifton Park to buy
a spool of thread. In those days I had originals to deliver to a
print shop in Schenectady, so one long ride a month was guaranteed.

As my radius decreases, the number of places I can go decreases much
faster -- the area that I can reach is proportional to the square of
the distance I can ride.

So I was pleased when I found that going to the animal shelter and
coming back by way of Aldi made a nice ride, but once I'd finished
cutting up my old quilt into cat blankets, I had no more reason to go
to the animal shelter.

Saved by the picky eater! One brand of food for cats with kidney
disease (which is all cats over twelve) comes only in a box of twelve
-- eight cans of food Al likes, and four cans of food that he won't
eat. And putting the lumps through a tea strainer didn't help a bit;
I think it's the stuff they put in to make the lumps cohere that he
doesn't like.

So I'm set to go that route as soon as the road crews stop messing
with my way home from Aldi. That intersection was nasty before they
tore it up -- which is why they tore it up, but the announcement said
that the new lane would help only a little. (The fellow making the
announcement believes that the only solution is to make US 30 a
controlled-access roadway.) It wasn't bad the last time I crossed,
but given a choice, I'd prefer not to risk having to cross at rush
hour.

And rush hour can be unpredictable. Once it took three changes of the
light to move the half block from Martin's to Aldi, and I was thinking
awk scrickle I'm going to have to get back into that line to get to
Parker to wait in line for the light on US 30, but when I came out, I
was the second person to use the four-way stop, and I crossed 30 on
the first green light -- and didn't ride across the southbound lanes
on yellow, either.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Bikes on OS "Other route with public access" ? David Lowther UK 7 August 19th 08 01:01 AM
new BicyclePA route "V" bdbafh Rides 2 October 7th 07 07:36 AM
"John "Cho" Gilmer keeps publishing his "Manifesto" over and over." Hoodini Racing 0 April 23rd 07 12:38 AM
Vandeman calls mountain bikers "liars" and "criminals" then surprisedby hate mail! ChainSmoker Mountain Biking 0 May 27th 06 05:39 PM
R.I.P. Jim Price (aka. "biker_billy", "sydney", "Boudreaux") spin156 Techniques 15 November 28th 05 07:21 PM