15 year old tires - any life left in 'em?

Old July 7th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default 15 year old tires - any life left in 'em?

Hello all.

I've got an '89 Giant Iguana. 15 years ago the original tires were
replaced with Avocet Cross 26 X 1.50 Kevlar tires. The rims are Araya
36 spoke.

Over the years I haven't ridden this bike much at all, and there's
plenty of tread left on the tires. I've been riding the last couple
weeks and the tires seem just fine. But I do see cracks on the
sidewall - nothing major but definitely noticeable. I attribute this
cracking to the fact that the tires are 15 years old, and this kind of
(rotting?) cracking is inevitable and normal.

I'm wondering just how much life is left in these tires? Is this
normal and to be expected given the age of the tires? Do these cracks
increase the risk of a sidewall leak, or blowout?

I've heard that with a good quality tire, unless you're seeing lumps
and bulges in the sidewall, this kind of cracking is no real cause for
concern - and if they still have tread, you can keep riding on older
tires if you plan to get as much life out of them as possible. Is this
true?

I've looked into buying some new Avocets to replace what I have now,
but from what I've been told this Kevlar model is backordered until
the fall. So it looks like I'll be riding on what I've got fore the
rest of the summer.

Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Dave
Old July 7th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jul 7, 1:22*pm, wrote:
Hello all.

I've got an '89 Giant Iguana. 15 years ago the original tires were
replaced with Avocet Cross 26 X 1.50 Kevlar tires. The rims are Araya
36 spoke.

Over the years I haven't ridden this bike much at all, and there's
plenty of tread left on the tires. I've been riding the last couple
weeks and the tires seem just fine. But I do see cracks on the
sidewall - nothing major but definitely noticeable. I attribute this
cracking to the fact that the tires are 15 years old, and this kind of
(rotting?) cracking is inevitable and normal.

Any fraying of the fabric? No? Then it's just cosmetic. The thin
coating of rubber was just there to protect the casing from abrasion.
Ride with confidence after a visual inspection.

Old July 7th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Owen

On Jul 8, 2:22 am, wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the rubber is mainly window
dressing, it covers a canvas/kelvar liner which is the strength of the
tyre.

Did you try pumping them up and going for a spin? Any noticable
effects?

Owen
Old July 8th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

wrote:
Hello all.

I've got an '89 Giant Iguana. 15 years ago the original tires were
replaced with Avocet Cross 26 X 1.50 Kevlar tires. The rims are Araya
36 spoke.

Over the years I haven't ridden this bike much at all, and there's
plenty of tread left on the tires. I've been riding the last couple
weeks and the tires seem just fine. But I do see cracks on the
sidewall - nothing major but definitely noticeable. I attribute this
cracking to the fact that the tires are 15 years old, and this kind of
(rotting?) cracking is inevitable and normal.

I'm wondering just how much life is left in these tires? Is this
normal and to be expected given the age of the tires? Do these cracks
increase the risk of a sidewall leak, or blowout?

Blowouts could happen if the casing is rotted. But I doubt that it has,
if they have held up for now. Ride them until something happens. Maybe
you could carry a spare folding tire, if you are worried about it.

I've looked into buying some new Avocets to replace what I have now,
but from what I've been told this Kevlar model is backordered until
the fall. So it looks like I'll be riding on what I've got fore the
rest of the summer.

Avocets are not hard to find. They are impossible. You can do better
for less these days, since the Avocets are no longer what they were, anyway.

--

David L. Johnson

The motor car reflects our standard of living and gauges the speed of
our present life. It long ago ran down Simple Living, and never halted
to inquire about the prostrate figure which fell as its victim.
-- Warren G. Harding
Old July 8th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Kunich

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message

Avocets are not hard to find. They are impossible. You can do better for
less these days, since the Avocets are no longer what they were, anyway.

While you are certainly correct here, they still are better than most tires
in their price range.

Old July 8th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
John Thompson

On 2008-07-07, landotter wrote:
On Jul 7, 1:22*pm, wrote:

I've got an '89 Giant Iguana. 15 years ago the original tires were
replaced with Avocet Cross 26 X 1.50 Kevlar tires. The rims are Araya
36 spoke.

Over the years I haven't ridden this bike much at all, and there's
plenty of tread left on the tires. I've been riding the last couple
weeks and the tires seem just fine. But I do see cracks on the
sidewall - nothing major but definitely noticeable. I attribute this
cracking to the fact that the tires are 15 years old, and this kind of
(rotting?) cracking is inevitable and normal.

Any fraying of the fabric? No? Then it's just cosmetic. The thin
coating of rubber was just there to protect the casing from abrasion.
Ride with confidence after a visual inspection.

If the casing is cotton, then the rubber also servers to protect it from
water. Wet cotton softens, stretches, and will degrade more quickly. A
quick coating of fresh latex on the sidewall can seal it up again.

--

John )
Old July 8th 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Press

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

If the tread peels off the casing or the tread wears down
to the threads then replace. A few tires, even recently,
have been made with cotton thread casing. Cotton will rot
and render the tire subject to explosive decompression.
Otherwise ride with reasonable caution and inspect the
tires every ride.

--
Michael Press
Old July 8th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
max

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

****can them. They might be "ok" but you will likely get crap on your
tires, an it will work its way into the cracks where it will abrade your
casing. Out of sight, out of mind.

IOW, if the sidewall rubber is "only windowdressing" to "protect the
casing" then the window is now open and protection has been compromised

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.
Old July 8th 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Werehatrack

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 11:22:22 -0700 (PDT), may have
said:

[...]

You let the bike sit mostly idle for 15 years, right? My advice: For
the sake of safety, replace the tires, and don't spend a lot on the
new ones. You won't be able to tell the difference between Avocets
and cheap Fortes from Performance.

Old July 8th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Jul 7, 1:22*pm, wrote:
[...]

This article came out in Velo News today:-

http://beta.velonews.com/article/795...old-tires-safe

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

*****