A 'Critical Mass' of cabs?

Old February 6th 09, 06:45 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default A 'Critical Mass' of cabs?

What a bunch of raving hypocrites! Just like a Mass of motorists, they
don't like it when cyclists do it but its OK for them! Of course, the
purpose of roads is not just for those who want to go from A to B as
fast as possible, contrary to popular belief, but roads serve a
variety of purposes. So cabbies, next time you get corked by CM
riders, once a month on a Friday evening, just grin and bear it and
don't try to ram the cyclists.

"Black cabs blockade over minicabs

Hundreds of black cabs halted traffic in parts of central London in
protest against a scheme that helps people get minicabs in the city's
West End.

Taxi drivers said Westminster Council's scheme was promoting what they
called "illegal" minicab ranks in Leicester Square, denying fares to
black cabs.

The London Taxi Drivers Association (LTDA) and the London Cab Drivers
Club (LCDC) organised the protest.

The council said the aim was to meet a shortage of cabs in the West
End..."

Mo

Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"We aren't blocking traffic, we are traffic".
Old February 6th 09, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Fod

Mohttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7871687.stm

--
Critical Mass Londonhttp://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"We aren't blocking traffic, we are traffic".

But doug this is a protest not a critical mass.

I know its confusing so i'm not surprised its caught you out.

Fod
Old February 6th 09, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 6 Feb, 09:12, Fod wrote:
On 6 Feb, 06:45, Doug wrote:

[...]

You still fail to understand after a wealth of past explanations.
'Critical Mass' is many things to many people.

Read this and learn:

http://criticalmass.wikia.com/wiki/C...ipedia_article)

"Critical Mass is an event typically held on the last Friday of every
month in cities around the world where bicyclists and other self-
propelled commuters take to the streets en masse. While the ride was
originally founded with the idea of drawing attention to how
unfriendly the city was to bicyclists,[1] the leaderless structure of
Critical Mass makes it impossible to assign it ***any one specific
goal***. In fact, the purpose of Critical Mass is not formalized
beyond the direct action of meeting at a set location and time and
traveling as a group through city or town streets."

and

"Critical Mass rides have been perceived as protest activities."

Get it?

--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"More bikes, less cars!".
Old February 6th 09, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Adrian

Doug gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

The London Taxi Drivers Association (LTDA) and the London Cab Drivers
Club (LCDC) organised the protest.

But doug this is a protest not a critical mass.

I know its confusing so i'm not surprised its caught you out.

You still fail to understand after a wealth of past explanations.
'Critical Mass' is many things to many people.

Get it?

How many times have you tried to convince us that CM doesn't come under
legislation requiring protests to be notified and organised, as this one
was, as CM's not a protest...?

Then, of course, there's the number of times you've claimed that
Wikipedia's a lousy source, because it's not authoritative...
Old February 6th 09, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Doug wrote:

Mohttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7871687.stm

"Black cabs blockade over minicabs
Hundreds of black cabs halted traffic in parts of central London in
protest against a scheme that helps people get minicabs in the city's
West End.
Taxi drivers said Westminster Council's scheme was promoting what they
called "illegal" minicab ranks in Leicester Square, denying fares to
black cabs.
The London Taxi Drivers Association (LTDA) and the London Cab Drivers
Club (LCDC) organised the protest.

The council said the aim was to meet a shortage of cabs in the West
End..."

....which has precisely *nothing* to do with Westminster City Council, or any
of the London Boroughs.

It's a great shame that control of the service was brought within the
bailiwick of local government (TaL) in the first place.
Old February 6th 09, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling

On Feb 6, 6:45*am, Doug wrote:
Taxi drivers said Westminster Council's scheme was promoting what they
called "illegal" minicab ranks in Leicester Square, denying fares to
black cabs.

What the cabbies fail to mention is that those "illegal" ranks are
actually pre-booked pickup points. They may well be a few dodgy
minicab drivers touting for fares there but you're always going to get
a few whatever you do. If they have a problem with it theres nothing
stopping them switching over to driving minicabs themselves.

B2003
Old February 6th 09, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Conor[_2_]

In article 2392a951-fd18-4030-b92d-cead2219a569
@r15g2000prd.googlegroups.com, Doug says...

On 6 Feb, 09:12, Fod wrote:
On 6 Feb, 06:45, Doug wrote:

[...]

The page was broken and contained a lot of false information. It's been
fixed now.

(If you get there quick, I've exercised my right to free speech - I
suggest others do the same. In case you're beaten to it by the censors:
http://tinyurl.com/d3x78l )

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old February 6th 09, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling

http://criticalmass.wikia.com/wiki/C...sh_Wikipedia_a...)

The page was broken and contained a lot of false information. It's been
fixed now.

(If you get there quick, I've exercised my right to free speech - I
suggest others do the same. In case you're beaten to it by the censors:http://tinyurl.com/d3x78l)

Nice

B2003
Old February 6th 09, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
francis

On 6 Feb, 09:37, Doug wrote:
On 6 Feb, 09:12, Fod wrote:

On 6 Feb, 06:45, Doug wrote:

[...]

"More bikes, less cars!".- Hide quoted text -

Lets see
'Critical Mass is an event typically held on the (insert date) err,
no in this case.

So you see, you don't get it.

Francis
Old February 6th 09, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 6 Feb, 09:12, Fod wrote:
On 6 Feb, 06:45, Doug wrote:

[...]

http://criticalmass.wikia.com/wiki/Critical_Mass_
(English_Wikipedia_article)

Police win powers to control Critical Mass cycle rally - FW: Don't be taken for a ride: Critical Mass has NOT been banned Fod UK 2 May 27th 07 03:06 PM
Critical Mass = Critical ASS Jan Mobely Social Issues 0 July 12th 05 07:09 PM
[critical-mass] Promote Critical Mass in NYC This Friday! Jym Dyer Social Issues 3 March 26th 05 09:14 PM
Critical Mass Marty Wallace Australia 11 November 27th 04 08:58 AM
Critical Mass mass arrests. Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 24 September 2nd 04 09:22 PM