Helmet Bill in Colorado to be Signed by Governor Recuperating fromInjuries in a Bicycle Crash

Old March 4th 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default Helmet Bill in Colorado to be Signed by Governor Recuperating fromInjuries in a Bicycle Crash

"http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20100304/NEWS01/3040327"

"...instead of issuing a citation with a fine, officers would hand out
educational cards about why helmet safety is important and with
information about where to obtain a helmet for a minimal price or for free."

This is a great idea. The big problem is that many people simply are
unaware about why helmets are important, and how much protection the
provide. Once they learn the facts they are likely to wear a helmet, and
educating them, rather than fining them, is a better approach.

Old March 5th 10, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

SMS wrote, On 3/4/2010 4:55 PM:
"http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20100304/NEWS01/3040327"

"...instead of issuing a citation with a fine, officers would hand out
educational cards about why helmet safety is important and with
information about where to obtain a helmet for a minimal price or for
free."

This is a great idea. The big problem is that many people simply are
unaware about why helmets are important, and how much protection the
provide. Once they learn the facts they are likely to wear a helmet,
and educating them, rather than fining them, is a better approach.

Please Steve, only one helmet thread at a time.

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Old March 5th 10, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Phil W Lee wrote:

snip

The FACT is that there has never been anywhere in the world where an
increase in helmet use has been shown to have any effect other than to
discourage cycling.

You've been brainwashed by the AHZs. You need to start reading up on the
facts.
Old March 5th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Jobst Brandt wrote:

How about citing some links that show what benefits were discovered in
scientific testing? I think that would be more effective than
religious criticism of people who have a different perspective than
you.

It's not a matter of opinion or perspective, it's a matter of
statistical facts versus religion.

I don't want to start another helmet war. You can do your own research
if you're unfamiliar with the research. I suggest you start by Googling
"Macpherson A, Spinks A".
Old March 5th 10, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Mar 5, 3:35*pm, SMS wrote:

I don't want to start another helmet war.

Bull****.

The only kernel of truth in that statement is that you hope to execute
only the equivalent of a drive-by shooting. You hope others will
continue the war.

And when someone posts citations or data you can't rebut, you'll slink
off, yelling over your shoulder "But all the data shows..."

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 5th 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

SMS wrote:
Jobst Brandt wrote:

How about citing some links that show what benefits were discovered in
scientific testing? I think that would be more effective than
religious criticism of people who have a different perspective than
you.

It's not a matter of opinion or perspective, it's a matter of
statistical facts versus religion.

I don't want to start another helmet war. You can do your own research
if you're unfamiliar with the research. I suggest you start by Googling
"Macpherson A, Spinks A".

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I chased down the reference and
hardly found a slam dunk argument. The "statistical facts" seem pretty
squishy. I don't care much one way or the other, but if anything
concrete does show up, be sure to let us know.
Old March 5th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Jobst Brandt wrote:
Steven Scharf wrote:

The FACT is that there has never been anywhere in the world where
an increase in helmet use has been shown to have any effect other
than to discourage cycling.

You've been brainwashed by the AHZs. You need to start reading up on
the facts.

How about citing some links that show what benefits were discovered in
scientific testing? I think that would be more effective than
religious criticism of people who have a different perspective than
you.

http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Monza-Bik.../dp/B000BNY5P2

In all a holey device with air channels ans shapely appearance.

You might explain what part of this paper-light helmet has which
beneficial effect. What does the wafer thin Styrofoam do, or the skin
of colorful plastic. It might also be the weight saved by spending
$70.

Jobst Brandt

Who buys their bike gear from Amazon?!? LOL (Plus, it's a size S.)

I don't think I've ever spent more than $40 for a helmet; and the one that
saved my bacon (note: not LIFE) was under 20 bucks from Performance (coupon
deal on top of sale price).

Of course, I had to spend /another/ $20 when the first one's foam core
SHATTERED IN PIECES when I crashed the very first day I wore it. Best value
for my money ever. (YMMV.)

Bill "if your skull bounces off a curb edge, do you want it protected yes or
no?" S.

Old March 6th 10, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Mar 5, 5:54*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

... SHATTERED IN PIECES when I crashed the very first day I wore it. *Best value
for my money ever. *(YMMV.)

And if it were even bigger and more fragile, it would shatter in
pieces more frequently. So by your standards, the most breakable
helmet would be the best value for the money.

I suggest one about two feet in diameter, made of eggshells. You'll
be ecstatic over it's "value." It may save your life just trying to
fit it through a narrow doorway!

"if your skull bounces off a curb edge, do you want it protected yes or no?"

It's ridiculous to assume that's likely to happen. It's like asking
"If a meteorite strikes you while riding your bike, would you want to
be protected or no?"

Even Bill "BS" Sornson has probably never hit his head on a curb edge,
helmeted or not.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 6th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

Frank Krygowski wrote, On 3/6/2010 1:19 AM:
[...]

I have taken a number of spills over the years - four of those falls
were painful and resulted in injuries (to some minor degree). But, never
once have I been hit by a meteorite.

In fact, I can't seem to recall any of my riding buddies ever mentioning
that they have been hit by meteorites. However, all of my riding buddies
can you tell stories about their various falls, collisions, or close calls.