Replace Mavic MA40 Rim with... ?

Old September 23rd 19, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Replace Mavic MA40 Rim with... ?

One of my front wheel's bearing has a gouge in one of the races. It's a Mavic MA40 rim, 33 years old, taking a 700 x 25 outer tire. The noise is annoying. My LBS thought re-packing might fix it, and did so. I think I should have known better. The noise is as bad as ever.

Can anyone recommend a replacement rim? I am not all that hip on what is available by way of bike parts these days. I ride my 1986 Vitus a few times a week, just bumping around town to relax.

Thank you.
Old September 23rd 19, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, 23 September 2019 18:00:55 UTC-4, wrote:
One of my front wheel's bearing has a gouge in one of the races. It's a Mavic MA40 rim, 33 years old, taking a 700 x 25 outer tire. The noise is annoying. My LBS thought re-packing might fix it, and did so. I think I should have known better. The noise is as bad as ever.

Can anyone recommend a replacement rim? I am not all that hip on what is available by way of bike parts these days. I ride my 1986 Vitus a few times a week, just bumping around town to relax.

Thank you.

You want to replace the rim when it's the hub that's shot? If the rim is still good why not just get a new or old stock hub of the same flange diameter and spoke hole count?

I have exactly the opposite problem where my old rim failed but the hub is still perfect. It's an old Uniglide 600 hub. I took the wheel apart and labeled each bundle of 8 spokes as to whether they were drive-side inbound, outbound or non drive-side inbound or outbound. This way when I do source a replacement rim I'll be able t o lace it with the spokes going in the exact same direction as they did in the wheel they came from.

Cheers
Old September 23rd 19, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 3:00:55 PM UTC-7, wrote:
One of my front wheel's bearing has a gouge in one of the races. It's a Mavic MA40 rim, 33 years old, taking a 700 x 25 outer tire. The noise is annoying. My LBS thought re-packing might fix it, and did so. I think I should have known better. The noise is as bad as ever.

Can anyone recommend a replacement rim? I am not all that hip on what is available by way of bike parts these days. I ride my 1986 Vitus a few times a week, just bumping around town to relax.

Thank you.

Is your rim shot -- or just the hub? If you're just looking for a rim swap, then the MA40 has an ERD in the 613mm neighborhood, so you could go with either:

H Plus Son TB14. http://hplusson.com/node/15 610mm Some have measured at 613. https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...tb-14-erd.html

Sun CR18. https://sun-ringle.com/product/cr18/ 612

The repros like Velo Orange are going to come up short. Even Mavic's current double eyelet offerings are in the 600mm range.

I did a direct swap to a CR18 which is a heavier rim than the MA40 with a shallower spoke bed, so mounting tires is harder. If you want to go with another rim, you'll need new, shorter spokes.

If you need a rim and hub, just buy some prefab front wheel. https://tinyurl.com/y6qc3tts In fact, you can buy a whole front wheel for less than new spokes and a rim and a build.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 24th 19, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

SirRidesalot and jbeattie, two LBS's said the hub was not replaceable. Is the rim too old for them to know what they are talking about? Or maybe I am too clueless.

One of the LBS's said I would not find a rim that was 'remotely comparable.' The second pulled out a Shimano SR21 (the whole enchilada, like you wrote jbeattie) that looks like it would work fine, for $117.
Old September 24th 19, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, September 23, 2019 at 4:36:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
SirRidesalot and jbeattie, two LBS's said the hub was not replaceable. Is the rim too old for them to know what they are talking about? Or maybe I am too clueless.

One of the LBS's said I would not find a rim that was 'remotely comparable.' The second pulled out a Shimano SR21 (the whole enchilada, like you wrote jbeattie) that looks like it would work fine, for $117.

I'm not familiar with that model, but if your front hub is toast, that's the route I'd go.

A 105 hub, spokes and a decent rim like a DT 460 (my go-to cheapish rim) would cost about $106. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=69439 https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=95010
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=56863
Then you have to build it or pay to build it. A $117 prefab wheel is in the ballpark.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 24th 19, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
: One of the LBS's said I would not find a rim that was 'remotely comparable.' The second pulled out a Shimano SR21 (the whole enchilada, like you wrote jbeattie) that looks like it would work fine, for $117.

:I'm not familiar with that model, but if your front hub is toast, that's the route I'd go.

That wheel set is low spoke count. If you're okay with that, they're
fine. If you want something with more traditional spoke count, I'm
sure the sop can get you something.

--
sig 89
Old September 24th 19, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/23/2019 8:08 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

We're very much in the realm of taste here but a StaTru USA
prebuilt with a full complement of stainless spokes on
something like an Alex DA22 will be about $90 off the rack
at most LBS.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 28th 19, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thank you for the further input, jbeattie, John, David, AMuzi and Tosspot. I squeezed the sides of the braking surface, and the rim seems solid.

I was going to buy a whole new pre-built wheel, but then, after a long day of other activities and needing some athleticism and beauty, decided to take one last ride on my Vitus. Both tire pressures felt a bit low, so I pumped them up to my usual 110 psi. The noise went away!

My tires are Schwalbe Marathon Plus. (Where I am in the Southwest, there are goatheads galore. I have not had a flat since installing the tires a couple of years ago.) I am wondering if the tires had something to do with the noise.