wheel aerodynamic advantage

Old November 16th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Default wheel aerodynamic advantage

Question:

Lately I've been riding by myself for about 50-60 flat miles on
weekends. I do long stretches where I try to keep it above 20mph.

I have a tribike and a road bike and use them interchangeably. Both
have conventional 19mm deep rims with 32 spokes.

If I got a wheels with 28 to 30 mm rims and 16 to 24 aero spokes,
will I feel a difference at speeds over 20mph?

Any advantages in speed over the more conventional 24mm wheels?

I am considering the neuvation m28 aeros. There are also a few other
wheels in the market with 30 mm rims and 24 aero apokes for less than
$200.

Opinions, advise?
Old November 16th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:38:27 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Question:

Lately I've been riding by myself for about 50-60 flat miles on
weekends. I do long stretches where I try to keep it above 20mph.

I have a tribike and a road bike and use them interchangeably. Both
have conventional 19mm deep rims with 32 spokes.

If I got a wheels with 28 to 30 mm rims and 16 to 24 aero spokes,
will I feel a difference at speeds over 20mph?

Any advantages in speed over the more conventional 24mm wheels?

I am considering the neuvation m28 aeros. There are also a few other
wheels in the market with 30 mm rims and 24 aero apokes for less than
$200.

Opinions, advise?

Dear Andre,

This page lets you try various wheels on various courses:
http://www.analyticcycling.com/DiffE...urse_Page.html

4,000 meter standing-start course

seconds for 4km standing-start generic TT course
-------
461.80 standard 32-spoke box wheels
452.11 lowest drag C(obb data) wheels (Deep S90)

That's about 2% faster, roughly an average of 19.8 mph versus 19.4
mph. The difference can be seen on a cyclocomputer, but probably not
felt by the rider.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 16th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

wrote:

[...]

I don't think this is picking at nits, but Andres said _over_ 20 mph, not
_at_ 20 mph.

Old November 16th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Carl Fogel wrote:

Andres Muro wrote:

If I got a wheels with 28 to 30 mm rims and *16 to 24 aero spokes,
will I feel a difference at speeds over 20mph?

Any advantages in speed over the more conventional 24mm wheels?

This page lets you try various wheels on various courses:
*http://www.analyticcycling.com/DiffE...urse_Page.html

4,000 meter standing-start course

seconds * for 4km standing-start generic TT course
-------
*461.80 * standard 32-spoke box wheels
*452.11 * lowest drag C(obb data) wheels (Deep S90)

That's about 2% faster, roughly an average of 19.8 mph versus 19.4
mph. The difference can be seen on a cyclocomputer, but probably not
felt by the rider.

Funny. Almost all my wheels have 48 round spokes, and I ride so
slowly I sometimes wonder whether I'm moving backwards. I had always
credited the foolishly unaerodynamic wheels for my laughable
performance. I reckoned if I only had enough money to buy some swell
wheels with NACA airfoil rims and 7 bladed spokes in a three-quarters
radial pattern, I'd be even faster than those Euro pros who are
handicapped by Luddite UCI rules.

Now you're telling me all I have to gain is two lousy percent?!
That's just not going to work. I need a second opinion.

Chalo
Old November 16th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Not much over 20mph. However, 0.4 miles an hour is something
significant. Sometimes, with headwinds, I am going 19.X mph and want
to get over 20mph. The 0,4 difference may get me there. I usually
cruise at around 21ish with little to no wind or with sidewinds. With
a tail wind I really don't try to go any harder. However, with a
headwind I try to keep it as close to 20 as I can. 20 seems to be some
sort of magical number for me.

I'm trying to figure out if I can get a reasonable advantage with
little investment. I won't go to either a trispoke or a full disk
because they get tricky on sidewinds especially going downhill. In El
Paso 15 mile an hour sidewinds are pretty common along with
dustdevils. I also want to keep my investment at less than $200.
Old November 16th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:15:59 -0600, "Carl Sundquist"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Dear Carl,

That's just the defaults, which work out to about 20 mph for fast
wheels.

Anyone interested can change the watts to produce whatever imaginary
speeds they like, with a wide variety of wheels--most of which cost
over $200.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 16th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:37:58 -0800 (PST), Chalo
wrote:

Carl Fogel wrote:

Andres Muro wrote:

[...]

Dear Chalo,

Okay, here's a second opinion: red paint.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 17th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
Okay, here's a second opinion: red paint.

Yep, works for Ferrari
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old November 17th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

Based on my extensive review of wind tunnel tests of wheels (mostly
from Tour Magazine), a good rule of thumb is that you can gain ~1% in
speed by going from shallow rims with lots of round spokes to a common
25-30mm rim with few aero steel spokes. From there to a super fancy
set with 80-100mm deep rims gains you another 1% or so.
Old November 17th 08, 07:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Carl Fogel wrote:

Andres Muro wrote:

[...]

Another option.

Place an advert for a rabbit whose speed exceeds yours and whose
pheremones incline you to give chase and stay close. $200 to go to his
or her bike club as a tax-deductible charitable contribution.

But, Carl, your advice wasn't dynamic, didn't anticipate Andres'
improvement. The stronger and more fit he becomes, the faster he goes,
and the greater the aerodynamic advantage of the expenditure. You
might have pointed out, also, that gains of such small magnitude are
easily achieved less expensively with the best tires, riding on the
smoothest, most worn part of the road, and probably enjoyed at slower
speeds, too. The difference between smooth concrete and asphalt in
friction is good for 2-3% at 20mph.

And a better aero position and smaller aero footprint comes free and
with yet larger speed advantage.

HarryTravis

Dura Ace AX on GIOS Aerodynamic Ernie Techniques 1 September 2nd 06 03:24 AM
Dura Ace AX on GIOS Aerodynamic Ernie Techniques 0 September 1st 06 10:57 PM
the aerodynamic wheel for the rest of us? Fred Clydesdale Techniques 11 August 24th 06 01:57 PM
Today's Aerodynamic URL DRS Australia 11 June 22nd 04 08:45 AM
Aerodynamic Water Bottles T. Field Techniques 5 July 30th 03 05:10 AM