The end of stabilisers?

Old September 28th 09, 06:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve

Default The end of stabilisers?

Interesting idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbfe2..._embedded#t=13

Steve
Old September 28th 09, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Steve wrote:

Interesting idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbfe2..._embedded#t=13

Groscopic stabiliser in wheel driven by a motor; a high tech solution
looking for a problem

How about the like-a-bike low-tech solution?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si7ZN2iloJs
Old September 28th 09, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Phil Cook wrote:
Steve wrote:

Interesting idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbfe2..._embedded#t=13

Groscopic stabiliser in wheel driven by a motor; a high tech solution
looking for a problem

How about the like-a-bike low-tech solution?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si7ZN2iloJs

We started teaching our 6 yo shortly after she came to us. She had a
bike with stabilisers, which she wanted to learn to do without. So we
took them off, and the pedals too, and lowered the seat to make it into
a slightly less-good scooter bike.
Didn't take her long to learn on that, and we soon had pedals on. We'd
have started with a scooter-bike if she'd been younger when she came to us.

At the weekend I saw an Islabikes Rothan up close: looked v. nice and
the parents were full of praise. It had already been handed on to a
happy younger sibling.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old September 28th 09, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message , Peter Clinch
writes
Phil Cook wrote:
Steve wrote:

Interesting idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbfe2..._embedded#t=13

Groscopic stabiliser in wheel driven by a motor; a high tech solution
looking for a problem

How about the like-a-bike low-tech solution?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si7ZN2iloJs

We started teaching our 6 yo shortly after she came to us. She had a
bike with stabilisers, which she wanted to learn to do without. So we
took them off, and the pedals too, and lowered the seat to make it into
a slightly less-good scooter bike.
Didn't take her long to learn on that, and we soon had pedals on. We'd
have started with a scooter-bike if she'd been younger when she came to us.

Yep, our youngest (now getting on for 5) had been riding the rather
cheaper Lidl like-a-like-abike since she could get on it. When she got
her first bike last xmas she was pretty much up and riding straight
away. Though she struggled for a while with how to get going and get her
feet on the pedals before she fell over - needed a little help until she
was actually pedalling.

Took eldest a while. She got her first bike at about the same age, but
wasn't happy trying to learn and ended up using stabilisers. We did get
the Lidl scooter bike about 6 months later, but by then even though she
soon learnt to scoot along happily, she didn't want to give up the
stabilisers for a while.
--
Chris French

Curse of stabilisers JohnB UK 11 August 5th 05 02:31 AM
Stabilisers for Adult Bicycle Mara Sheldon General 2 November 30th 04 03:28 PM