Campagnolo square-taper BB question?

Old January 26th 10, 07:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

Default Campagnolo square-taper BB question?

The square tapers bottom brackets, specifically Chorus and Record,
for approximate years 2000-2006 (10sp alloy) are interchangeable I
assume for either Chorus or Record cranks? And both have
rebuildable bearings? And finally do the Record and Chorus BB have
the same bearings or is there a difference?

thanks!

Old January 26th 10, 12:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On 26 jan, 08:28, Ronko wrote:
The square tapers bottom brackets, specifically Chorus and Record,
for approximate years 2000-2006 (10sp alloy) are interchangeable I
assume for either Chorus or Record cranks?

Yes.

And both have
rebuildable bearings?

No. They use cartidge bearing which are not supposed te be replaced. I
did it once, I don't do it again. I replace the whole unit next time.

And finally do the Record and Chorus BB have
the same bearings or is there a difference?

No they are the same.

Lou

Old January 26th 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ningi

On 26/01/2010 12:16, Lou Holtman wrote:
On 26 jan, 08:28, wrote:
The square tapers bottom brackets, specifically Chorus and Record,
for approximate years 2000-2006 (10sp alloy) are interchangeable I
assume for either Chorus or Record cranks?

Yes.

And both have
rebuildable bearings?

No. They use cartidge bearing which are not supposed te be replaced. I
did it once, I don't do it again. I replace the whole unit next time.

I have replaced a single bearing on both a Record and a Chorus BB. It
wasn't the easiest job as I didn't have a good bearing puller but
spending £15 for a new bearing rather than £90 for a new BB seemed
worthwhile.

And finally do the Record and Chorus BB have
the same bearings or is there a difference?

No they are the same.

The same skf bearings in both.

Pete
Old January 26th 10, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 26 Jan, 17:48, Ronko wrote:
In article 285993d5-41d3-4357-9beb-
,
says...

On 26 jan, 08:28, Ronko wrote:
The square tapers bottom brackets, specifically Chorus and

Record,
for approximate years 2000-2006 (10sp alloy) are

interchangeable I
assume for either Chorus or Record cranks?

Yes.

And both have
rebuildable bearings?

No. They use cartidge bearing which are not supposed te be

replaced. I
did it once, I don't do it again. I replace the whole unit next time.

And finally do the Record and Chorus BB have
the same bearings or is there a difference?

No they are the same.

Lou

Thanks. What were the issues about replacing the bearings? Had to be
pressed off and on?

Campag seem to claim there may be problems of fatigue and so the axle
'warrants' replacement.
Old January 26th 10, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

On 26 jan, 08:28, wrote:
The square tapers bottom brackets, specifically Chorus and

Record,
for approximate years 2000-2006 (10sp alloy) are

interchangeable I
assume for either Chorus or Record cranks?

Yes.

And both have
rebuildable bearings?

No. They use cartidge bearing which are not supposed te be

replaced. I
did it once, I don't do it again. I replace the whole unit next time.

And finally do the Record and Chorus BB have
the same bearings or is there a difference?

No they are the same.

Lou

Thanks. What were the issues about replacing the bearings? Had to be
pressed off and on?

It's difficult to get the puller behind the bearings. I had to take it
to work. Grrrr.. On one side there is a pressfit lockring. Once removed
I didn't trust the pressfit anymore so I loctite the bearings. I had to
take to work again. Grrrr...
It's no rocket science but for me it is a matter of economics. I had to
pay about 37 euro for three new cartridge bearings. I have a new Chorus
unit for 60 euro. 23 euro is not worth it for me if I have to spend 1
hour of work. The unit lasts 25000 km.

Lou
Old January 26th 10, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 26 jan, 08:28, *wrote:
[...]

probably easier the second time because you know what you are up
against.
Old January 26th 10, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ningi

On 26 jan, 08:28, wrote:
[...]

If all 3 bearings had gone I'd also get a new BB. One mine only one had
gone so the economics made more sense.

Pete
Old January 27th 10, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jan 26, 12:28*am, Ronko wrote:
The square tapers bottom brackets, specifically Chorus and Record,
for approximate years 2000-2006 (10sp alloy) are interchangeable I
assume for either Chorus or Record cranks? And both have
rebuildable bearings? And finally do the Record and Chorus BB have
the same bearings or is there a difference?

thanks!

Same bearings, both 102mm, different, thin walled, welded in the
center spindle for Record. Yes, you canreplace bearings but it ain't
easy.