best carry-on pump for touring bike?

Old April 25th 11, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Default best carry-on pump for touring bike?

go with the flow..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&b...1g-m2&aql=&oq=

Old April 25th 11, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article , AMuzi
wrote:

Snortley wrote:
On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 22:12:28 -0500, Tºm Shermªn™ °_°
" wrote:

Not as well built as the Lezyne, but compact and builds pressure in
fewer strokes:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...-pro-pump.html

The pressure guage on mine broke on the first use, but otherwise it
has worked well. I get 130 psi with about 180 strokes, far less than
the Crank Brothers I used to carry.

Also lacks a hose. I use a hose jury-rigged by hose-clamping a valve
stem on one end, and a pump head on the other. It all fits in my
saddle bag and in the last couple of years has saved me and one other
rider nicely.

Speaking of Lezyne, their alloy tire levers are tops:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...-worth-it.html

Sure wish someone would make a compact (non-digital) portable guage
that reads high pressure. The best I've found is by Bicycle Planet,
and it's unnecessarily bulky.

The Dunlop presta gauge was the last good one, discontinued
30 years ago.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eoorider/5346314629/

Yes. I have one of those and have not used it for a
long while because out on the road I pump until I am
tired, then ride on. Curiously, I just now found it
exactly where it should be in the tool kit. At home I
use one of these

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413Z2l8KNHL._SS500_.jpg

but only to check for sufficient pressure. My inflator
is an N2 tank with the regulator set at 120 psi.

--
Michael Press
Old April 25th 11, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jay

On Apr 24, 12:31Â*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...s/quicker-pro-...

The pressure guage on mine broke on the first use, but otherwise it
has worked well. I get 130 psi with about 180 strokes, far less than
the Crank Brothers I used to carry.

Also lacks a hose. I use a hose jury-rigged by hose-clamping a valve
stem on one end, and a pump head on the other. It all fits in my
saddle bag and in the last couple of years has saved me and one other
rider nicely.

Speaking of Lezyne, their alloy tire levers are tops:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...s/lezyne-alloy...

Two to a set?
No spoke hook?
I still have my old zinc plated steel levers.

--
Michael Press

I sure do like a tire lever to have a hook. 2 have turned out to be
plenty for me.
JD
Old April 25th 11, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jay

" wrote:

[...]

Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I have 1 of both the Presta screw on & the Dunlap conical headed one
shown in the link. I've looked for years for another of the conical
style one. Mine says: "Raleigh" (SP?). I would love to buy a couple
more. I use it for cars bikes anything, Although I find the Topeak
digital EZer to get repeatable readings, although I can't always get
any gage to always give repeatable readings. Has to do w/ the angle
the gage is held at, I think it's not always possible to get a gage on
w/ in the angle range that doesn't allow some air to escape. JD
Old April 25th 11, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jay

On Apr 19, 8:12*pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 4/19/2011 8:16 PM, kolldata aka Gene Daniels wrote:

CO2

C2H2.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

U're funny Tom! What'da want, to get some poor sucker blowed up?
Old April 25th 11, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jay

" wrote:

[...]

Although some gages seem to make it EZer to engage w/ in the correct
range.
Old April 26th 11, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

" wrote:

[...]

A few years ago I used a laboratory dead weight tester to check the
accuracy of my six different pressure gages. I was surprised how bad
some were. Oddly, the small plastic Zefal presta+schrader dial gage
and the standard bourdon tube (dial) gage built into my ancient
Nashbar floor pump were the worst. I thought they'd be best. The
floor pump reads 100 psi at a true 93 psi. The simple spring "pencil"
gages were all accurate to within one or two psi.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 26th 11, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

$southslope.net" wrote:
On 4/19/2011 8:16 PM, kolldata aka Gene Daniels wrote:

CO2

C2H2.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Please honor the signature separator (i.e. "-- ").

U're funny Tom! What'da want, to get some poor sucker blowed up?

Only if they inflate their tires to about 29 psi or more.

Actually, anyone who would try to inflate their tires with acetylene is
most likely a Darwin Award candidate in other areas also.

Old April 26th 11, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

" wrote:

Not as well built as the Lezyne, but compact and builds pressure in
fewer strokes:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...s/quicker-pro-...

The pressure guage on mine broke on the first use, but otherwise it
has worked well. I get 130 psi with about 180 strokes, far less than
the Crank Brothers I used to carry.

Also lacks a hose. I use a hose jury-rigged by hose-clamping a valve
stem on one end, and a pump head on the other. It all fits in my
saddle bag and in the last couple of years has saved me and one other
rider nicely.

Speaking of Lezyne, their alloy tire levers are tops:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...s/lezyne-alloy...

Sure wish someone would make a compact (non-digital) portable guage
that reads high pressure. The best I've found is by Bicycle Planet,
and it's unnecessarily bulky.

I used to use a Zefal, little plastic thingy with a dial guage. Got
bored with it after 18 months of use and switched back to thumb
depression. Got track pump, with gauge for inflating at home and
tubulars dont even need that. I mostly don't look, but just let the
hose with worn connector blow off. Only when regluing a tyre will I
use the gauge to ensure maximum pressure. I'll also use the gauge
when inflating another's tyre.