Shopping GPS/Heart Rate Monitor

Old June 19th 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Shopping GPS/Heart Rate Monitor

My Garmin ForeRunner 301 disappeared last week and I am shopping
for a replacement.

301s are still available here-and-there, but it looks like Garmin
has discontinued them.

It's Gotta Have:

- Larger screen than the many wris****ch types
301's screen is the minimum.

- Heart rate monitor

- Configurable auto-pause so the lap timer stops
below a preset speed

- Ability to set interval/lap length
(e.g. 1/4 mile, 1 mile, 2 mile...)

Would Be Nice If It Had:

- Actually waterproof. (the 301 is not bc
the PC interface will corrode in salt water)

- User-customizable screen

Couldn't Care Less about:

- Cadence

Anybody got something?
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 19th 11, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Jun 19, 11:02*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
My Garmin ForeRunner 301 disappeared last week and I am shopping
for a replacement.

301s are still available here-and-there, but it looks like Garmin
has discontinued them.

It's Gotta Have:

- Larger screen than the many wris****ch types
* 301's screen is the minimum.

- Heart rate monitor

- Configurable auto-pause so the lap timer stops
* below a preset speed

- Ability to set interval/lap length
* (e.g. 1/4 mile, 1 mile, 2 mile...)

Would Be Nice If It Had:

- Actually waterproof. *(the 301 is not bc
* the PC interface will corrode in salt water)

- User-customizable screen

Couldn't Care Less about:

- Cadence

Anybody got something?

Edge 305?

The PC interface is probably the same though.

--
JS.

Old June 19th 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 21:02:41 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Would Be Nice If It Had:

- Actually waterproof. (the 301 is not bc
the PC interface will corrode in salt water)

I don't have any recommendations, but I do have some comments on
waterproofing. There are various degrees of waterproofing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code
For example, your former Garmin Forerunner 305 is rated at IPX7 (No
dust rating, and submersible to 1 meter for 30 minutes).

If the manufactory doesn't offer an IP rating, then either they didn't
bother testing their GPS or they're lying about it being waterproof.
Waterproofing connectors is easy. Joints between dissimilar materials
is not so easy. You can also create water incursion problems by
alternately heating and cooling the package. When cooled, the partial
vacuum inside will suck in any water at the package joints. If you
want totally waterproof, it has to be hermetically sealed and
pressurized with dry air.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 19th 11, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 21:02:41 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Anybody got something?

How about an iPhone (or iPod Touch 4G) and a collection of bicycle
apps? With the ANT+ system, you can monitor just about everything.
Plenty of ANT+ adapters and iPhone mounts for bicycles on eBay.

Assorted apps survey articles:
http://ruedatropical.com/2009/02/iphone-cycling-applications/
http://www.perivision.net/wordpress/2008/09/iphone-as-a-bicycle-computer-yea/
http://www.perivision.net/wordpress/?s=bicycle
http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/maintenance/bike-apps-for-the-iphone/

Old June 19th 11, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:34:01 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

How about an iPhone (or iPod Touch 4G) and a collection of bicycle
apps? With the ANT+ system, you can monitor just about everything.
Plenty of ANT+ adapters and iPhone mounts for bicycles on eBay.

Mo
iPhone apps that work with Wahoo Fitness ANT+ dongle:
http://www.wahoofitness.com/Apps/Apps.asp

Old June 19th 11, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

http://www.jr.com/product/productLis...=heart+monitor

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Catalog...eart+moni tor

know how to use it ? record rate after ex, one hour after ect, before
sleep rate.
Check rate BEFORE rising, one hour after, before and after eating.

Heart should recover over not record a slower rate than the previous
days rate BEFORE ex.

If the rate gets slower, the ex was destructive.

I would imagine online geek guiding is available

I have an Nbar $37 Polar, no prob.
Old June 19th 11, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 19-6-2011 3:02, (PeteCresswell) schreef:
My Garmin ForeRunner 301 disappeared last week and I am shopping
for a replacement.

301s are still available here-and-there, but it looks like Garmin
has discontinued them.

It's Gotta Have:

- Larger screen than the many wris****ch types
301's screen is the minimum.

- Heart rate monitor

- Configurable auto-pause so the lap timer stops
below a preset speed

- Ability to set interval/lap length
(e.g. 1/4 mile, 1 mile, 2 mile...)

Would Be Nice If It Had:

- Actually waterproof. (the 301 is not bc
the PC interface will corrode in salt water)

- User-customizable screen

Couldn't Care Less about:

- Cadence

Anybody got something?

I use a Garmin Forerunner 310XT when I don't need the mapping and
routing capabilities of the 705. It is actually waterproof and it has
all the features you want. Screensize can be a problem for you I think,
but you can configure three screens where you can put only one or two
data fields. You get big numbers then. With the real buttons instead of
that stupid stupid touch ring of the 405 you can easily scroll through
them. I'm also impressed by the batterylife of the 310XT: 20 hours.

Lou
Old June 19th 11, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Jeff Liebermann:
or they're lying about it being waterproof.

My experience has been that there are "Waterproof" devices and
devices "Guaranteed Waterproof".

The second class happens when the manufacturer concludes that
profit from additional sales from touting "Waterproof" will
exceed the cost of replacing devices that were returned.

I had a Garmin GPS that seemed tb in this category. "Guaranteed
Waterproof"... but I had three replace because the screens came
up with condensation on the inside just from having water dripped
on them.

The ForeRunner 301 is actually waterproof in the sense that you
can immerse it and water will not penetrate. The joker is that
if you immerse it in salt water, the USB port's contacts will
corrode and the device will be come unusable.

Actually, I can live without waterproof. It's a Nice-To-Have,
but there are plenty of bags that will do the job dependably for
20-30 dollars.
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 19th 11, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Jeff Liebermann:
How about an iPhone (or iPod Touch 4G) and a collection of bicycle
apps? With the ANT+ system, you can monitor just about everything.
Plenty of ANT+ adapters and iPhone mounts for bicycles on eBay.

That's where I'm going right now. Thanks.

Been looking for an excuse to disentangle myself from Apple's
embrace via a GPS-capable Android PDA to replace my iPod and this
might be it.

Somebody else remarked about BlueTooth chest sensors for the
cardio part.... and I'm thinking the readability of, say, a 5"
tablet's screen could be really, really good.
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 19th 11, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Jun 19, 10:34*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Jeff Liebermann:

How about an iPhone (or iPod Touch 4G) and a collection of bicycle
apps? *With the ANT+ system, you can monitor just about everything.
Plenty of ANT+ adapters and iPhone mounts for bicycles on eBay.

That's where I'm going right now. *Thanks. * *

Been looking for an excuse to disentangle myself from Apple's
embrace via a GPS-capable Android PDA to replace my iPod and this
might be it.

Somebody else remarked about BlueTooth chest sensors for the
cardio part.... and I'm thinking the readability of, say, a 5"
tablet's screen could be really, really good.
--
PeteCresswell

Pete,

what is your immediate goal when using these devices ?

do the goals have a significant positive effect on your cycyling ?
like how ?

Heart rate monitor? John Burns UK 2 October 20th 07 09:39 PM
How does a heart rate monitor pickup my heart beat and transmits? [email protected] UK 1 February 14th 06 05:02 PM
How does a heart rate monitor pickup the heart bear and transmit? [email protected] UK 1 February 14th 06 04:41 PM
FS: heart rate monitor Charles Stickle Marketplace 0 August 26th 04 09:32 PM
Help With Heart Rate Monitor slartibartfast Techniques 2 August 26th 04 08:09 PM