BB technologies.

Old February 4th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Ampleforth

Default BB technologies.

Seeing as the january sales have presented me with the bargins i don't need
and that i've choosen to take the more you spend the more you save attitude
i'm looking in to a new bottom bracket and crankset.

Raceface turbine cranks, both square taper and ISIS are down to 50 quid
(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...spx?ModelID=52) .

I've only ever used standard shimano square taper in the past so my
practical knowledge of any splined system is nil, however i've read that
ISIS bottom brackets , due to there oversized spindle taking up more room,
use smaller ball bearings which are prone to loosening, collapse and being
completely ground to dust. How much of a concern do you folks find this, any
experience?
The crank brother sale spiel boasts 2 rows of driveside ball bearings for
there splined bottom brackets; is this standard to all ISIS bottom bracket
and if not does it realistically make these a better choice than one without
(FSA perhaps)?
Lastly, is the ISIS system that much stiffer than all tapered BB's? This one
for example:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...px?ModelID=676

Thanks for your views.

Old February 4th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

John Ampleforth wrote:
[...]

Everyone has their favorites of course.
But I would ask, 'which problem with your present cranks are we trying
to solve?'
--
Andrew Muzi, who ran errands today on a pair of 1966 Record Pista arms
with dependable install-and-forget square tapers.

www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Old February 4th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 4, 12:19 pm, "John Ampleforth" wrote:
Seeing as the january sales have presented me with the bargins i don't need
and that i've choosen to take the more you spend the more you save attitude
i'm looking in to a new bottom bracket and crankset.

Raceface turbine cranks, both square taper and ISIS are down to 50 quid
(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...spx?ModelID=52) .

I've only ever used standard shimano square taper in the past so my
practical knowledge of any splined system is nil, however i've read that
ISIS bottom brackets , due to there oversized spindle taking up more room,
use smaller ball bearings which are prone to loosening, collapse and being
completely ground to dust. How much of a concern do you folks find this, any
experience?

I've heard nothing but bitching from my mates about ISIS. They come
loose, bearings are utter ****e, and the longevity is extremely short
compared to a square taper cartridge.

I'd stick with square, or if stiffness is an issue, go for Octalink.

Old February 4th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/wdc/212946173.html

Old February 4th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Ampleforth

"A Muzi" wrote in message
John Ampleforth wrote:
[...]

No problem, just wanted to "upgrade". Reasonable enough mind as i'm 200+ lb
rider, and i'm sure this upgrade would give better transfer than my current,
but excellent value for money, deore setup. What would you suggest now?

Old February 4th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Ampleforth

"landotter" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

So octalink doesn't suffer the same problems? the axel/spindle seems as
large as the ISIS and presumably the bearings are of similar size?

Old February 5th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

landotter wrote:
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/wdc/212946173.html

Thank you! The heartiest laugh I've had all day!

(Fortunately, mine are camouflaged with a layer of black grunge)
--
Andrew Muzi
Old February 5th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

John Ampleforth wrote:
"A Muzi" wrote in message
John Ampleforth wrote:
[...]

i'm a ~205# and i love octalink - it's definitely stiffer. i noticed it
immediately i climbed my first hill on my first octalink crank set, and
i noticed it again recently when i built a cross frame with a square
taper. the cranks were awful. went back to octalink again - much stiffer.
Old February 5th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

John Ampleforth wrote:
"landotter" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

no, bearings on the cartridge versions are pretty much indestructible.

the axel/spindle seems as
large as the ISIS and presumably the bearings are of similar size?

shimano use roller bearings.
Old February 5th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 4, 5:42 pm, "John Ampleforth" wrote:
"landotter" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

You'd think so. My experience is simply word of mouth by local riders.
Listen to Andrew. :P

Personally I'm a square taper man, through and through.