Popular Cycling?

Old June 10th 10, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Derek C

Default Popular Cycling?

The following paragraph was incuded in a posting on another (non-
motoring) newsgroup, in a thread that was only marginally about
cyclists:

"Cyclists are a pain in the butt, riding anti socially deliberately
blocking the traffic which is carrying far more people than them for
a purpose, dumping their bikes where they cause access and flat out
hazard problems, and generally leaving their mess behind them, Hells
Cherubs, in my experience they are an undisciplined anti social
rabble. Especially in London. IMO."

Sounds like it's about time we got our act together!

Derek C
Old June 10th 10, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
bugbear

Derek C wrote:
The following paragraph was incuded in a posting on another (non-
motoring) newsgroup, in a thread that was only marginally about
cyclists:

"Cyclists are a pain in the butt, riding anti socially deliberately
blocking the traffic which is carrying far more people than them for
a purpose, dumping their bikes where they cause access and flat out
hazard problems, and generally leaving their mess behind them, Hells
Cherubs, in my experience they are an undisciplined anti social
rabble. Especially in London. IMO."

Sounds like it's about time we got our act together!

Since those opinions are based on pure prejudice,
changing the facts (assuming, for the moment,
it was justified) wouldn't change the opinions.

The "leaving their mess behind them" is particularly
incomprehensible.

BugBear
Old June 10th 10, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Silk

On 10/06/2010 08:44, Derek C wrote:

Sounds like it's about time we got our act together!

Perhaps you could start carrying guns. It's statistically more likely
that a cyclist will be carrying a gun than a motorist will.

Old June 10th 10, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Derek C

On Jun 10, 9:44*am, bugbear wrote:
Derek C wrote:
The following paragraph was incuded in a posting on another (non-
motoring) newsgroup, in a thread that was only marginally about
cyclists:

"Cyclists are a pain in the butt, riding anti socially deliberately
blocking the traffic which is carrying far more people than them for
a purpose, dumping their bikes where they cause access and flat out
hazard problems, and generally leaving their mess behind them, Hells
Cherubs, in my experience they are an undisciplined anti social
rabble. Especially in London. IMO."

Sounds like it's about time we got our act together!

Since those opinions are based on pure prejudice,
changing the facts (assuming, for the moment,
it was justified) wouldn't change the opinions.

These are very common opinions, which cyclists, especially in the
London area, do little to try to dispel! Things like critical mass
events don't help.
Old June 10th 10, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
bugbear

Silk wrote:
On 10/06/2010 08:44, Derek C wrote:

Sounds like it's about time we got our act together!

Perhaps you could start carrying guns. It's statistically more likely
that a cyclist will be carrying a gun than a motorist will.

Do you have a reference for that?

BugBear (channeling my inner JMS)
Old June 10th 10, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
pk

"bugbear" wrote in message
o.uk...
Derek C wrote:
The following paragraph was incuded in a posting on another (non-
motoring) newsgroup, in a thread that was only marginally about
cyclists:

"Cyclists are a pain in the butt, riding anti socially deliberately
blocking the traffic which is carrying far more people than them for
a purpose, dumping their bikes where they cause access and flat out
hazard problems, and generally leaving their mess behind them, Hells
Cherubs, in my experience they are an undisciplined anti social
rabble. Especially in London. IMO."

Sounds like it's about time we got our act together!

Since those opinions are based on pure prejudice,
changing the facts (assuming, for the moment,
it was justified) wouldn't change the opinions.

The "leaving their mess behind them" is particularly
incomprehensible.

BugBear

Actually, as a cyclist, I have precisely the same complaints against some
cyclists:

#riding anti socially : Seen every day

#deliberately blocking the traffic which is carrying far more people than
them for
a purpose: Rare but not unknown IME

#dumping their bikes where they cause access and flat out
hazard problems,: chained to railings partly blocking pavements is a
regular problem

# and generally leaving their mess behind them,
I'm shocked on EVERY sportive I ride how many others drop wrappers from
energy bars and empty gel tubes and dump punctured inner tubes

pk

Old June 11th 10, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Henry Lockwood

On 10 June, 11:27, "pk" wrote:

#dumping their bikes where they cause access

I've never managed to cause access with MY bike ;-)

HenryL
Old June 11th 10, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Derek C

On Jun 11, 9:21*am, Henry Lockwood wrote:
On 10 June, 11:27, "pk" wrote:

#dumping their bikes where they cause access

I've never managed to cause access with MY bike ;-)

HenryL

Are you only capable of reading and understanding half a sentence
Henry? It read:

"Cyclists are a pain in the butt, riding anti socially deliberately
blocking the traffic which is carrying far more people than them for
a purpose, dumping their bikes where they cause access and flat out
hazard problems, and generally leaving their mess behind them, Hells
Cherubs, in my experience they are an undisciplined anti social
rabble. Especially in London. IMO."

It is parking bikes in such a manner as to BLOCK access and to cause a
hazard that was the issue.

Derek C
Old June 11th 10, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Squashme

On 10 June, 08:44, Derek C wrote:
The following paragraph was incuded in a posting on another (non-
motoring) newsgroup, in a thread that was only marginally about
cyclists:

"Cyclists are a pain in the butt, riding anti socially deliberately
blocking the traffic which is carrying far more people than them for
a purpose, dumping their bikes where they cause access and flat out
hazard problems, and generally leaving their mess behind them, Hells
Cherubs, in my experience they are an undisciplined anti social
rabble. Especially in London. IMO."

Sounds like it's about time we got our act together!

Derek C

We? What "we" would that be?