What's the tallest giraffe ever to be freemounted?

Old December 2nd 05, 03:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default What's the tallest giraffe ever to be freemounted?

I was just curious. I can't see how anything over 8 feet would be
possible to freemount!

--
wheeliemaster
wheeliemaster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10962

Old December 2nd 05, 04:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

'John Foss' (http://www.unicycling.com/garage/giraffe.htm) has
freemounted a custom made nine-footer with a "step." Conceivably a
similar giraffe with two steps and over ten feet tall could be
freemounted, but it would takes lots of practice and broken bones.

--
jsm

Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

Old December 2nd 05, 05:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

'Dr. Wolfgang Schaper' (http://www.unicycling.de/) has a series of
pictures showing him freemounting a giraffe that looks to be around 8
feet or maybe taller. A very impressive series of pics.

The pics are in his fotos section. His site is all in frames. Here is
the 'direct link' (http://tinyurl.com/8mbyb) to the pics, but you lose
the frame navigation for the rest of the web site.

It is a series of 5 pictures in a funky image map. Click on the
exposed areas to go to the next picture.

Anyone read German? Does he say how tall the giraffe is?

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old December 2nd 05, 06:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

He doesn't say how high the giraffe is, but he does note that he gets up
in about half a second. The giraffe appears to be about eight feet
tall.

Old December 2nd 05, 09:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I believe Wolfgang Schaper a.k.a Wolfgang Strößner, was mounting a 9 ft
giraffe. Some useful info from Wolfgang, Javier and John Foss can be
found in this old thread:
http://tinyurl.com/ajdte

The thread also includes a link to an easier to view version of
Wolfgang's mount
http://tinyurl.com/5kl2k

--
peter.bier

-Peter Bier
peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

Old December 2nd 05, 10:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I've heard stories that Mel Hall could freemount a 10ft giraffe. John
Foss will probably be able to confirm or deny that rumour.

Old December 2nd 05, 05:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

There's something funny about the Wolfgang Schaper series. In the first
picture he's starting with his right foot. In the second picture, he's
continuing with his right foot.

Does this mean that he can do it ambidextrously (or should I say
ambipodiatrously)?

Or does he hop from the first position to the second?

Or did one of the images get flipped?

--
dogfeathersvt
dogfeathersvt's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4648

Old December 2nd 05, 05:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

My friend has told me tales of a man with a 22-foot giraffe, but I can't
remember his name. Anyone know?

--
subsonic87

Check out one of my latest favorite bands: 'Chagall Guevara'
(http://homepage.mac.com/mpeters/chagall_guevara/) (free downloads).
Also, check out my company, the coolest up-and-coming woodceilings
company: '9Wood' (http://www.9wood.com).
Or don't check 'em out. I understand.
subsonic87's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11153

Old December 2nd 05, 07:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

peter.bier wrote:
I've heard stories that Mel Hall could freemount a 10ft giraffe. John
Foss will probably be able to confirm or deny that rumour.

I notice I wrote that in the older thread that was linked above. I
don't remember the source of that. I do know that Mel Hall used to
freemount a 9-footer that he rode inverted (hand pedaling with shoulder
supports instead of seat). So freemounting a normal 10' would not
surprise me for him.

Wolfgang is a pretty tall guy, so the unicycle in the pictures would
appear to be over 8', but not necessarily 9'. The seat and look of the
frame suggests it's a DM, if that's of any help. My 9' is actually
8'-10" if anybody cares, but I'm "cheating" with my articulated step.

dogfeathersvt wrote:
There's something funny about the Wolfgang Schaper series. In the first
picture he's starting with his right foot. In the second picture, he's
continuing with his right foot.

Don't get the wrong idea that he's using a step on the frame. In the
2nd picture his right foot is just in mid-air as his left foot is
supporting his weight.

subsonic87 wrote:
My friend has told me tales of a man with a 22-foot giraffe, but I can't
remember his name. Anyone know?

Chuck Marquette or Chaz Marquette. Same guy. He used to perform with
his. There's also Tom (Tommy, Tomi) Miller, who built it and kept a
second one for himself. Also there's Constance Cotter, who he built one
for several years later, but she's not a guy.

--
johnfoss

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old December 2nd 05, 08:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Here's the web site for 'Chaz Marquette'
(http://www.22footunicycledude.com/). His site is in the links section
here at unicyclist.com under performers.