What I learned today?

Old September 29th 05, 03:46 AM
Daytripper63

Default What I learned today?

I went for a ride for a mile or so on my 24" and then rode into the
garage and decided to do a longer ride but on the 360/Coker and this is
where I think I learned something...
I guess my legs were use to the 24" so when I hopped on the 360 the legs
were not working properly cause my feet and the pedals were not moning
together and bailed forward HARD and
I THINK I BROKE MY FIRETRUCKIN WRIST
Is this just me?

--
Daytripper63
Daytripper63's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10789

Old September 29th 05, 04:47 AM
Spudman

That happens to me when I switch between sizes. I just ride one size
(20") usually now, because I was sick of getting out of tune on one.

--
Spudman - Don't play with weapons!

This space for rent
Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

Old September 29th 05, 07:33 AM
Klaas Bil

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:47:07 -0500, "Spudman" wrote:

That happens to me when I switch between sizes. I just ride one size
(20") usually now, because I was sick of getting out of tune on one.

Never switching is a (read: aye) solution. The opposite approach is
switching A LOT, and it's more fun in the end.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Unicycling is like glue: you have to stick with it, and it's not to be sniffed at - Mikefule"

Old September 29th 05, 08:10 AM
john_childs

At first switching from a smaller uni like a 20" or 24" and then
immediately getting on the Coker will be awkward. It also works the
other way. Riding around on the Coker and then immediately trying to
ride a smaller uni will be awkward. With practice the switch will
become easier and eventually almost a non-issue.

When I first started riding the Coker I had great fun doing the switch.
I'd ride a small uni around then immediately get on the Coker then
switch back to the small uni. It was all fun and quite an experience
learning to adjust. Now I've learned to adjust and the game of
switcheroo is no longer the novel experience that it used to be.

But yes, when you are not used to it the game of switcheroo can result
in some clumsy and unexpected falls.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old September 29th 05, 08:40 AM
s7ev0

Surely you've just invented a new uni discipline/event John!?

I see an event akin to the individual medley in swimming: you start the
race on a 20", change to a Coker, then to a 24", and finish on a
giraffe!

Or for longer distances: couple of miles on a 24" muni offroad, then
more miles on a Coker, finished by umpteen circuits of an indoor track
on a 20"!

I suppose you could do it all indoors, and add in a short set of trials
as one component, or at a skate park and include rolling trials.

The main element would be switching uni sizes during the race.

Any takers?

--
s7ev0 - woooaaaah!

Avatar courtesy of Loosemoose.
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

Old September 29th 05, 02:47 PM
BraveSirStupid

Daytripper63 wrote:
*
I THINK I BROKE MY FIRETRUCKIN WRIST
Is this just me? *

sympathies!

how's it feel now?

RICE, baby, RICE. I'm also a big fan of _buffered_ aspirin, stat.

Of course, the earlier one treats a sprain, the better -- and the
difference in longitudinal outcome (recovery time and quality) is
profound. So too does the manner of splinting and wrapping, i.e.
horseshoe or donut pads around the ankle when wrapping. I was reading up
on ankle injuries this week and got a lot of good food for thought from
some sportsmedicine and osteopathic sites.

I've been writing and deleting unsent versions of the following for at
least six months...

Daytripper's post is probably the 100th submission to describe a
UPD-related injury (or near injury) in the year i've been here. Such
are the risks of the sport, no problem.

But it's given me cause to wonder about first aid. For lacerations we
clean, disenfect and live with our scabs of honor, and maybe limp off to
the hospital.

For broken bones we blissfully await the ambulance, unless we're REALLY
lucky and get the helicopter.

But what do we do about connective and soft tissue injuries? Severe
sprains

I touched this very very tangentially, by inference, a couple of days
ago with my sixsixone + T2 post, which fell on dead ground, probably
because it didn't include any context.

Broken bones while greatly painful, and possibly even life threatening,
heal well, with fairly transparent outcome. But soft tissue injuries --
sprains, severe sprains, contusions etc, can leave us with long-term
disfunction, joint weakness, and, from my amateurish reading, it seems
that the immediate response first aide is probably more important to
outcome in soft tissue injuries than with bone injuries.

i've personally, already experienced two dorsiflex ankle (foot jammed
upwards) events from rearward UPDs, both of which were in the "close
call" zone.

My riding profile is such that most of my riding is at least a mile++
away from home, at least 1/2 mile from the nearest house and alone on
rail to trail paths during nonpeak useage hours. IOW i can't count on a
passing stranger, or a neighbor for help; if (when) i go down, i'm
pretty much all alone.

Thus: what recommended first aide supplies might one recommend for a
unicyclist? What reference material? How many of us actually carry
first aid supplies for joint and soft tissue injuries?

I'm thinking: ace bandage or two, a couple of foam horseshoes, one or
two instant ice packs and a few buffered aspirin. Maybe an airsplint??
An emergency-use cell phone?

But then the question becomes -- how to strike a balance? I can't tow a
Ski Patrol sledge behind me. How to balance prudence and foresight with
practicality?

It's not so much that i'm paranoid of getting hurt (wouldn't be riding
if i was); but being an ex-submariner and ex-boy scout it shouldn't be
surprising that I'm a bit of a preparedness freak; my paranoia is of
being unable to take care of myself if needs be, and of suffering a
prolonged, unsatisfactory recovery as a result.

i've had way too much coffee this morning...

.max

--
BraveSirStupid - i'm a moron so you don't have to be

Freedom! Horrible Horrible Freedom!!!
BraveSirStupid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7738

Another good ride today MSeries UK 8 February 7th 05 07:48 PM
Unicyclist invasion .. today was f-in awsem ben_unruh Unicycling 16 January 23rd 05 08:42 PM
There were some great views today MSeries UK 1 November 14th 04 07:20 AM
My daughter learned how to freemount billham Unicycling 9 July 26th 04 08:57 PM
It's days like today... Dave W Mountain Biking 23 December 19th 03 07:15 PM