What's that ticking sound?

Old August 3rd 07, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Default What's that ticking sound?

Last night I found a circular tuit and investegated the tick tick tick
I've been getting once a pedal rev on my Birdy.

Start out and work in. Off with the pedal and it is immediately
obvious what the prioblem is. I can never remember which way to turn
the pedals to unscrew so following the time honoured suck it and see
method I got a slight turn as i tried the wrong way so I backed it all
the way out and cleaned up the threads before applying a little grease
and reassembling doing it up nice and tight with my Campagnolo pedal
spanner.

This morning on the way to work, silence. :-)

Now all I have to do is find another circular tuit to figure out the
creaks I get when I get out of the saddle and honk it a bit. :-(
Old August 3rd 07, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian G

Phil Cook wrote:

Now all I have to do is find another circular tuit to figure out the
creaks I get when I get out of the saddle and honk it a bit. :-(

Easy. It's from your knees :-)

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk
Old August 3rd 07, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc

Phil Cook wrote:

This morning on the way to work, silence. :-)

Now all I have to do is find another circular tuit to figure out the
creaks I get when I get out of the saddle and honk it a bit. :-(

Knees? :-(
Old August 3rd 07, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Blewett

Phil Cook wrote:
I can never remember which way to turn
the pedals to unscrew so following the time honoured suck it and see
method I got a slight turn as i tried the wrong way so I backed it all
the way out and cleaned up the threads before applying a little grease
and reassembling doing it up nice and tight with my Campagnolo pedal
spanner.

The way I remember, is when you pedal it tries to tighten the pedal into
the crank... it would be a design flaw if it worked the other way ;o)
Old August 4th 07, 05:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lowther

"Phil Cook" wrote in message

snip

I can never remember which way to turn the pedals to unscrew

Left pedal = left hand thread. Right pedal = right hand thread. That's how I
remember.

Now all I have to do is find another circular tuit to figure out the
creaks I get when I get out of the saddle and honk it a bit. :-(

Tricky. Could be that the cranks need the same treatment you gave the
pedals.

Dave.

Old August 4th 07, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

David Lowther wrote:

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
.. .

Now all I have to do is find another circular tuit to figure out the
creaks I get when I get out of the saddle and honk it a bit. :-(

Tricky. Could be that the cranks need the same treatment you gave the
pedals.

I think it is more likely that the various interfaces in the stem and
bars are to blame, but who ever heard of a folder that didn't creak?
Old August 4th 07, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim

"Mark Blewett" wrote in message
Phil Cook wrote:
I can never remember which way to turn

The way I remember, is when you pedal it tries to tighten the pedal into
the crank... it would be a design flaw if it worked the other way ;o)

That's right but what confused me was when I realised that if the pedals
were stuck solid on the pedal axles then pedalling forwards would actually
unscrew them. If you're unscrewing a pedal hold the axle with a spanner and
rotate the cranks forwards.
I guess it must have been Sheldon's web site that explained that a loose
axle will turn "backwards" as a rotational force is applied.
You can see this by holding a pencil in your fist then appling a circular
motion to the end (like your foot pushing the pedal) you will see the pencil
rotate backwards as it rolls around inside your closed fist.
Jim J

'Ticking' headset PJay Techniques 9 May 3rd 06 12:22 AM
Ticking Noise Rudyard Shackleton UK 15 June 5th 05 03:29 PM
ticking headset Paul Davis Techniques 2 October 6th 04 01:06 AM
Pedal Ticking kristine Unicycling 2 August 15th 04 06:53 PM
creaking, ticking sound with certain rear cogs Stefan Geysen Techniques 6 April 25th 04 02:53 PM