Where can I get a GPS track file for Castleman's Corkscrew ?

Old February 21st 08, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.gps
David Lowther

Default Where can I get a GPS track file for Castleman's Corkscrew ?

I put together a GPS route by inspecting the poor quality pdf route map
(from the Poole council web site IIRC).

There's some general info about the route and some photos he

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ron.strutt/rrcor2.html

The Google Earth format GPS route I put together, by visually transcribing
the route from the pdf in to my GPS software is he
http://www.dlowther.demon.co.uk/temp/route.kml

From looking at the route in Google Earth I can see some 'uncertainties',
hence I was looking for a track of the *actual* route.

Best Regards.

Dave

Old February 21st 08, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.gps
Nick Austin

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:17:01 -0000, "David Lowther"
wrote:

The Google Earth format GPS route I put together, by visually transcribing
the route from the pdf in to my GPS software is he
http://www.dlowther.demon.co.uk/temp/route.kml

That's just the Castleman Trailway section. A while back I did
a map for Wikipedia.
Article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castleman_Trailway
Map:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ailway_Map.png

From looking at the route in Google Earth I can see some 'uncertainties',
hence I was looking for a track of the *actual* route.

Looks good to me but not all of that route is cyclable.
The cycle sections are from 02SO to 09PD09 then 42LT
to 51PD00.

In any case the entire trailway is waymarked to death so
impossible to get lost.

If you want more of the corkscrew then there is a short
section inside the New Forest that can be cycled from
SU251000 to SU291003.

Also there are car parks at SY991931 and SU138048.

Nick.

Old February 22nd 08, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.gps
David Lowther

wrote:

The Google Earth format GPS route I put together, by visually transcribing
the route from the pdf in to my GPS software is he
http://www.dlowther.demon.co.uk/temp/route.kml

That's just the Castleman Trailway section. A while back I did
a map for Wikipedia.
Article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castleman_Trailway
Map:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ailway_Map.png

Ah, I used your map to check the general shape of my route.

From looking at the route in Google Earth I can see some 'uncertainties',
hence I was looking for a track of the *actual* route.

Looks good to me but not all of that route is cyclable.
The cycle sections are from 02SO to 09PD09 then 42LT
to 51PD00.

Oh, I thought that it was all cyclable except the first bit out of Upton
Country Park, and the section along the river near Wimbourne. That would
account for why I was having difficulty seeing any obvious track on GE for
some parts of the route.

As Wimbourne is the nearest point to where I live, I was thinking of
starting / finsihing in Wimborne and going down to UCP, then up to Ashley
Twinning then back to Wimborne. I'll see if I can find an alternative on
road route to bypass the sections which are not cyclable.

In any case the entire trailway is waymarked to death so
impossible to get lost.

Hmm - maybe for you. I have a habbit of missing or ignoring signs because
I'm following the GPS route :-)

If you want more of the corkscrew then there is a short
section inside the New Forest that can be cycled from
SU251000 to SU291003.

Also there are car parks at SY991931 and SU138048.

Thanks again for the info.

Nick.

Old February 23rd 08, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Gerald H[_2_]

Default Castleman's Corkscrew

It's a real shame that the planners of Dorset could not have protected
the alignment between Wimborne and West Moors, this section seems to be
very disjointed and barely worth following. I believe that bits from
Ringwood down into the New Forest are to be reopened eventually, but I
think there are some wildlife issues on part of it. It's also rather
astonishing that they built a road on the bit from Poole to Broadstone
instead of some form of public transport link
Old February 23rd 08, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.gps
Nick Austin

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:01:30 -0000, "David Lowther"
wrote:

Oh, I thought that it was all cyclable except the first bit out of Upton
Country Park, and the section along the river near Wimbourne. That would
account for why I was having difficulty seeing any obvious track on GE for
some parts of the route.

On further investigation it seems that there is some confusion. When
I last walked the trail about half of it was on public footpaths and
there were several gates/styles to negotiate. According to the
Ordnance Survey web site that is still the case.

However I see that the sustrans web site lists the sections just west
of West Moors and through Uddens Plantation as being part of Regional
Route 69. As I recall at SU047008 (which OS show as a junction
between a footpath and a bridleway) there is a style which stops
horses and cyclists from using the footpath.

Nick.

Campagnolo Corkscrew Tom Nakashima Techniques 8 April 28th 07 01:57 PM
Campy corkscrew richard Techniques 55 December 17th 06 06:47 AM
Single File MartinM UK 5 September 10th 06 09:02 PM
KH/pro file hub conversion musketman Unicycling 5 September 15th 05 11:59 PM
FA: Campagnolo corkscrew NEW campy wine crank Darren Haines Marketplace 0 January 13th 05 04:40 AM