The Magic Roundabout

Old October 29th 08, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TrailRat

Default The Magic Roundabout

I think a little complacency has set in!

I seem to be bored of an activity that use to stimulate me so much. I
still occasionaly cycle to the shops or for other such jaunts. But
there is no stimulation behind it anymore. The long adventures don't
excite me very much either anymore. I use to relish a longish 30 mile
skip on a totally random route but not any more.

Does anyone else get like this? Is there a cure?

The idea of touring appeals to me because the destination isn't the
begining of your journey! You don't end up on your doorstep, you have
an aim of sorts. The trouble with this is I have commitments and no
money for such adventures. I'm also a planning freak and need
everything organized and sorted! Not exactly spontaneous free spirit I
aspire too!

MAybe I should just sell the bike and take up crochet or something!!
Old October 29th 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lowther

"TrailRat" wrote in message
I think a little complacency has set in!

I seem to be bored of an activity that use to stimulate me so much. I
still occasionaly cycle to the shops or for other such jaunts. But
there is no stimulation behind it anymore. The long adventures don't
excite me very much either anymore. I use to relish a longish 30 mile
skip on a totally random route but not any more.

Does anyone else get like this?

Yes. Perhaps the time of year has something to do with it.

Is there a cure?

A warm sunny dry spring day with clear blue skies ?

A new bike ?

A challenging ride. Perhaps longer distance than you have done before ?

Best Regards.

Dave.

Old October 29th 08, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

TrailRat wrote:

I think a little complacency has set in!

I seem to be bored of an activity that use to stimulate me so much. I
still occasionaly cycle to the shops or for other such jaunts. But
there is no stimulation behind it anymore. The long adventures don't
excite me very much either anymore. I use to relish a longish 30 mile
skip on a totally random route but not any more.

Does anyone else get like this? Is there a cure?

The idea of touring appeals to me because the destination isn't the
begining of your journey! You don't end up on your doorstep, you have
an aim of sorts. The trouble with this is I have commitments and no
money for such adventures. I'm also a planning freak and need
everything organized and sorted! Not exactly spontaneous free spirit I
aspire too!

MAybe I should just sell the bike and take up crochet or something!!

Join a club and try Time Trialling or Racing. Enter a mountain bike
race, do a Cyclo-cross, do anything with competition in it. If you
have any competitiveness in your nature, even a little, doing a race of
whatever sort occasionally, really gives you (well, me at least) a
buzz. Doesn't matter if you aren't totally competitive, so long as you
enter something where you're likely to find at least one other person
who you can race against and beat.When I started racing my goal
initially was to not be last, then not be in the last 10%, 25% etc etc

Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi 'Big and Butch'
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp "When I feel fit enough'
Old October 29th 08, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"TrailRat" wrote in message
I think a little complacency has set in!

I seem to be bored of an activity that use to stimulate me so much. I
still occasionaly cycle to the shops or for other such jaunts. But
there is no stimulation behind it anymore. The long adventures don't
excite me very much either anymore. I use to relish a longish 30 mile
skip on a totally random route but not any more.

MAybe I should just sell the bike and take up crochet or something!!

I know how you feel. I ride 24 miles to work and back all year round and
most rides are tedious and sometimes sheer misery. But then I realise that I
am 50 years old tomorrow and am so lucky (it's not luck, it's hard work -
ed) to be able to do it at all. There are so many people in hospital or
otherwise invalided that they would give anything to be able to do what most
of us take for granted.

Having done my lower back in a couple of times this past year which put me
off the bike also makes time in the saddle so precious. As Paul said you
could join a club, but it depends on who you hook up with. I have been left
far from home by guys fitter than me but stuck with it and this year
actually won a £25 voucher by coming 6th in the Vets TT category of our
club.

The hardest thing this time of the year is getting out of the door and onto
the road, but after 30 mins or so you get warmed up and it is not so bad,
especially if you have some good music on. I'm off to get kitted up now to
see the Chelsea fans visit Hull as we battle it out for 2nd place in the
league. :-)

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old October 29th 08, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Kahn

http://www.audax.uk.net/

--
Dave...
Old October 29th 08, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Proven[_2_]

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:36:01 +0000, Dave Kahn wrote:

TrailRat wrote:
I think a little complacency has set in!

I seem to be bored of an activity that use to stimulate me so much. I
still occasionaly cycle to the shops or for other such jaunts. But
there is no stimulation behind it anymore. The long adventures don't
excite me very much either anymore. I use to relish a longish 30 mile
skip on a totally random route but not any more.

Does anyone else get like this? Is there a cure?

http://www.audax.uk.net/

I *knew* that's what you were going to say.

(Seconded)

Simon

PS I've got a fixie now. Ulp.
Old October 30th 08, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Simon Proven tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

TrailRat wrote:
I think a little complacency has set in!

I seem to be bored of an activity that use to stimulate me so much.
I still occasionaly cycle to the shops or for other such jaunts. But
there is no stimulation behind it anymore. The long adventures don't
excite me very much either anymore. I use to relish a longish 30
mile skip on a totally random route but not any more.

Does anyone else get like this? Is there a cure?

http://www.audax.uk.net/

I *knew* that's what you were going to say.

(Seconded)

This I knew also. Unfortunately, the above is the *cause* of why I've done
about 100 km this year. I am hoping that the imminent arrival of a new
****-off lighting system for the towpath bike will tempt me out of my sloth
and back to riding to work at least once a week.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old October 30th 08, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Myra in Cambridge

TrailRat wrote:
Does anyone else get like this? Is there a cure?

Nowadays I rarely get out for pleasure rides, due to having small
kids. But back before kids were the main obstacle to riding, I used to
get apathy too. Hey, I've been a cyclist for more then 20 years, so
it's got to happen sooner or later. If I couldn't get any ambition up
for a serious long ride, then I would find some goal to ride to. I
have a fish tank at home (actually 5, I'm a bit into this) so I like
to look at fish in aquatic centers. So it's easy to convince myself to
saddle up and ride out to a nearby aquatic center, have a look at the
fishies, maybe buy a souvenier tub of food, have a bite in a nearly
cafe (they are often in garden cetnres with cafes), then head back.

Are you into gardening? Then head out to the local garden centres to
see if they've got anything interesting in stock. Fish shops are
always a good destination; many people I know who don't have fish
tanks still enjoy looking at them in shops. Are you into railways or
modelling? Then check to see if your area has a model railways club
and go to one of their running days (and have a ride on a mini
train!). Are you into walking around National Trust properties? Then
have a ride out to some of the closer ones.

There's no end of interesting things you can do by bike. The ride
doesn't have to be the end in itself, it can just be a slow but
pleasant way of getting there.

-Myra
Old October 31st 08, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

"TrailRat" wrote in message
I think a little complacency has set in!

I seem to be bored of an activity that use to stimulate me so much. I
still occasionaly cycle to the shops or for other such jaunts. But
there is no stimulation behind it anymore. The long adventures don't
excite me very much either anymore. I use to relish a longish 30 mile
skip on a totally random route but not any more.

Does anyone else get like this? Is there a cure?

One thing to try:

1. Work out how much using the car costs you in fuel per mile.
2. At the start of the calendar month, aim to substitute as many car
journeys for cycling journeys as is practicable.
3. For every car journey you replace with a cycle journey (utility
journeys) compute the mileage and put the equivalent money saved from not
using the fuel into a kitty.
4. At the end of the calendar month, count up the total cash saved and
treat yourself.

Old November 5th 08, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Adam Lea :
"TrailRat" wrote in message
I think a little complacency has set in!

1. Work out how much using the car costs you in fuel per mile.

It's a bit cheeky to assume the OP is a cager for no reason.
--
David Damerell Oil is for sissies
Today is Chedday, October.

Roundabout technique Cliff UK 34 September 2nd 05 06:38 PM
Beyond tomorrow - roundabout Euan Australia 9 September 1st 05 09:08 AM
Roundabout Woes Caher UK 39 June 8th 04 01:18 PM
New roundabout idea Tony Raven UK 31 November 13th 03 07:04 PM