Dogs chase bicycles don't they !

Old October 22nd 08, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Luton[_2_]

Default Dogs chase bicycles don't they !

That was the reply when a dog came shooting into the road beside me
today and I suggested that it should either be under control or on a
lead. Actually most dogs I have met don't chase bikes, which suggests
that training is possible, at least for the dog if not for the owner.
(there are chaves in Esher !).
More police on bicycles needed to deal with this one before it causes an
accident.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old October 23rd 08, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 22 Oct, 21:09, Paul Luton wrote:
That was the reply when a dog came shooting into the road beside me
today and I suggested that it should either be under control or on a
lead. Actually most dogs I have met don't chase bikes, which suggests
that training is possible, at least for the dog if not for the owner.
(there are chaves in Esher !).
More police on bicycles needed to deal with this one before it causes an
accident.

And why do you object to dogs chasing bicycles?

I do agree that dogs should not chase people
and that your description amounts to an assault
on you by the person controlling the dog.

Thing is that I would think that the dog lobby is
stronger than the motorist lobby and that you
may as well just get used to it.

My guess is that motorists will be prevented from
offering vulnerable road users 'instant death at
their whim' long before people are held
responsible for controlling their dogs.

In both cases, unless a death results from the
assault, official action is unlikely.

You simply do not have the right to a life free
from the fear of assualt by dog owners
armed with dogs.

Old October 23rd 08, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:09:37 +0100
Paul Luton wrote:

That was the reply when a dog came shooting into the road beside me
today and I suggested that it should either be under control or on a
lead. Actually most dogs I have met don't chase bikes, which suggests
that training is possible, at least for the dog if not for the owner.
(there are chaves in Esher !).

Either ignore it or (only if really necessary) put the boot in.
Although it's rarely (if ever) the dog's fault you're unfortunately not
allowed to kick the owner.

More police on bicycles needed to deal with this one before it causes
an accident.

But they ride slowly on the pavement, don't they?

Old October 23rd 08, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lowther

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
. uk...
That was the reply when a dog came shooting into the road beside me today
and I suggested that it should either be under control or on a lead.
Actually most dogs I have met don't chase bikes, which suggests that
training is possible, at least for the dog if not for the owner.

Letting them (the dogs that is) know you are a human works for me
most times. A friendly 'good boy' can work, failing that a sharp 'sit'
can do the trick.

The only persistent dog I've encountered in 10,000 miles of
cycling round (mostly) rural Somerset was a Jack Russell. He
was seriously trying to get a tooth hold on my ankle. I own a Jack
Russell and understand their determination and lack of fear, even
so I was still trying to avoid either of us getting hurt. I managed to
out run him, but it was on a fairly steep up hill section so it wasn't
that easy.

There's a couple of mean looking Alsatians that 'guard' a local
scrap yard on a down market trading estate in these parts. I've
decided that route is best avoided. I did consider carrying a few
cat biscuits in my pocket to use as chaff but I've not actually
tried it.

Dave.

Old October 23rd 08, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lowther

"David Lowther" wrote in message
"Paul Luton" wrote in message
. uk...
That was the reply when a dog came shooting into the road beside me today
and I suggested that it should either be under control or on a lead.
Actually most dogs I have met don't chase bikes, which suggests that
training is possible, at least for the dog if not for the owner.

snip

The only persistent dog I've encountered

snip
I managed to out run him

Another tactic is to always cycle with someone less fit than yourself :-)

Dave.

Old October 23rd 08, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Grove

Last one that chased me got a muzzle full of bike pump

"David Lowther" wrote in message
"David Lowther" wrote in message
"Paul Luton" wrote in message
. uk...
That was the reply when a dog came shooting into the road beside me
today and I suggested that it should either be under control or on a
lead. Actually most dogs I have met don't chase bikes, which suggests
that training is possible, at least for the dog if not for the owner.

snip

The only persistent dog I've encountered

snip
I managed to out run him

Another tactic is to always cycle with someone less fit than yourself :-)

Dave.

Do cyclists' dogs chase cyclists? Gooserider General 14 May 9th 06 01:22 PM
Recommendations? - Training "Other Peoples" Dogs Not To Chase Matt O'Toole General 72 May 16th 05 03:35 PM
Dogs, kids and bicycles. Buck General 17 November 6th 03 02:29 AM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW General 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW Rides 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM