"He died Oct. 23 of heart failure while mountain biking with friendsin the desert near Moab, Utah"

Old January 4th 10, 06:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

Default He died while hiking [Was: "He died Oct. 23 of heart failure while mountain biking...]

"Paul O" wrote in message
Mike Vandeman wrote, On 1/2/2010 2:11 PM:
So much for the alleged healthfulness of mountain biking.... Evolution
in action!

Mike

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005129425

Todd Johnston, 41
Four Seasons Spa & Pool owner and founder Todd Johnston was
tremendously active—skiing, biking, playing ice hockey, raising
children and loving his wife of 17 years, Vicki. He lived life to the
fullest and did everything with vigor and enthusiasm. After growing up
in Illinois, Todd grew to love the mountains of Idaho and the West. He
died Oct. 23 of heart failure while mountain biking with friends in
the desert near Moab, Utah.

Hiking causes heart attacks!
http://www.gazette.com/articles/incline-56531-rescue-manitou.html
http://www.austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2009-12-21/19024/German%20hiker%20dies%20of%20heart%20attack
http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...7&slug=1307831
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19910927&slug=1307831
http://www.hikerhell.com/2008/12/hiker-dies-of-apparent-heart-attack-on-camelback-mountain-arizona/
http://m.missoulian.com/breaker/article_1e3fc4c4-0ff0-577f-868b-970792834d8c.html
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_12882985

Expensive mountain bikes and riding accessories are not required....

I have been reading stories all of my life about hikers who get into trouble
with their treks and even die from them. Almost always it is case of error
in judgment on the part of the trekker. Hiking is not inherently dangerous
if you exercise common sense. Some folks are so out of shape they should
never attempt a hike no matter how easy. Better to start with just some
walking around town. Climbing mountains however is dangerous and I would
never think of doing it.

On the other hand, mountain biking is dangerous even if you have common
sense. It is an activity which encourages risk taking. Sooner or later,
there is the Devil to pay.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 5th 10, 08:32 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...e=19910927&slu...
[...]

Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota- Hide quoted text -

There is no significant exercise to be had on the downhill part of a
mountain bike trip. On the level portion, the exercise value is
minimal, because a bike is, first and formost, an ENERGY-SAVING
device. The bicycle is the most energy-efficient form of
transportation we know of. That leaves only the uphill portion for
exercise (which is generally extreme). Walking, on the other hand,
spreads the exertion more evenly across the entire trip. Hence, it is
less dangerous.
Old January 6th 10, 12:40 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

Default "He died Oct. 23 of heart failure while mountain biking withfriends in the desert near Moab, Utah"

On Jan 4, 10:00*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
nacceptable.

A little exercise is a good thing, a lot of excercise is crazy.

I ask again: And your medical or exercise science credentials are
just what?
Old January 6th 10, 12:43 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On Jan 4, 10:15*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

On the other hand, mountain biking is dangerous even if you have common
sense. It is an activity which encourages risk taking. Sooner or later,
there is the Devil to pay.

Life is dangerous, even if you have common sense. We just have to
decide for each activity if the rewards justify the risk. If you want
to confine yourself to walking you are quite free to do so. I chose
to ski, bike, climb mountains etc. My life, my choice and at the end
of life I expect to be able to say that I enjoyed it.
Old January 6th 10, 10:09 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
On Jan 4, 10:00 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

A little exercise is a good thing, a lot of excercise is crazy.

I ask again: And your medical or exercise science credentials are

just what?

I inherited an excessive amount of good common sense from my mother. My
father was crazy like you.

Old January 6th 10, 10:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
On Jan 4, 10:15 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

On the other hand, mountain biking is dangerous even if you have common
sense. It is an activity which encourages risk taking. Sooner or later,
there is the Devil to pay.

Life is dangerous, even if you have common sense. We just have to

decide for each activity if the rewards justify the risk. If you want
to confine yourself to walking you are quite free to do so. I chose
to ski, bike, climb mountains etc. My life, my choice and at the end
of life I expect to be able to say that I enjoyed it.

The fact remains that mountain biking is particularly dangerous. A single
snag can send you to your death. The Great Mike Vandeman posts messages on
RBS of hundreds of such events on a regular basis. If I were you, I would
read those posts and learn from them.

If you want an adrenalin rush, I suggest an amusement park. I understand
they have toys now that can give one quite a thrill.

Old January 6th 10, 04:59 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Paul O" wrote in message
wrote, On 1/5/2010 7:43 PM:
On Jan 4, 10:15 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

On the other hand, mountain biking is dangerous even if you have common
sense. It is an activity which encourages risk taking. Sooner or later,
there is the Devil to pay.

Life is dangerous, even if you have common sense. We just have to
decide for each activity if the rewards justify the risk. If you want
to confine yourself to walking you are quite free to do so. I chose
to ski, bike, climb mountains etc. My life, my choice and at the end
of life I expect to be able to say that I enjoyed it.

hlilly,
I hope that you are aware that you have chosen to argue with two of the
most notorious trolls on these news groups.

fu?til?i?ty [fyoo-til-i-tee]

-noun, plural -ties for 2, 3.
1. the quality of being futile; ineffectiveness; uselessness.
2. a trifle or frivolity: the large collection of futilities that clutter
our minds.
3. a futile act or event.

Both the Great Mike Vandeman and I are reasonable and will listen to a
reasonable argument. But reason eludes mountain bikers because they are
purely testosterone driven. I suggest mountain bikers relieve themselves of
some of their testosterone by ****ing off and then perhaps they will be able
to make a reasonable argument for their despicable sport.

Old January 6th 10, 05:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On Jan 6, 2:09*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

just what are your credentials?

I inherited an excessive amount of good common sense from my mother. My
father was crazy like you.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
(Einstein)
Old January 6th 10, 05:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
On Jan 6, 2:09 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

just what are your credentials?

I inherited an excessive amount of good common sense from my mother. My
father was crazy like you.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

(Einstein)

For heaven's sakes, it is just the opposite of that. Teenagers have no sense
at all, common or otherwise. Their brains are not fully developed.

By the way, Einstein was an idiot on any subject except physics.

Common sense only comes with age and a bit of experience if you are lucky
enough to have had a parent who had some. All liberals, without any
exceptions whatever, are devoid of common sense. They have read themselves
into a kind of idiocy. I give you Tom Sherman as an example of the species.
He is smart, but he absolutely has no common sense. I have not made up my
mind about you yet.